Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 20th July 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 258765)
Hey - 'Scott Pilgrim' is to you, what 'Doctor Who' is to me!

WOOOOOOOOT! :pound:

Frankie Teardrop 20th July 2012 11:13 AM

MACABRE - Not the one with the head in the fridge, but the recent Indonesian horror flick. I thought it was quite good. It features a standard set up (young guys and gals trapped in the family home of some evil butchers), but offers some grim moments and is quite gory. Plus points are definitely the evil matriarch's doll-like face, some uncomfortable baby stealing and a black magic back story which is never really made explicit.

Slippery Jack 20th July 2012 12:21 PM

She Beast

I quite liked it, apart from that bizarre lurch into Keystone Cops territory during the climactic chase scene :crazy: I felt kind of sorry for the She Beast witch, getting repeatedly dunked in water and whatnot :( . . .

andgomorra 20th July 2012 01:16 PM

Savages. Best film in the theatres today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie Teardrop 20th July 2012 09:27 PM

CANNIBAL GIRLS - I enjoyed this early Ivan Reitman film, which has all the hallmarks of a severe case of 70s horror ie. psychedelic montage elements like eyes in close up superposed over breasts, then a failure to make good on this weirdness by abandoning viewer to long stetches of talky wilderness. But there are still plently of moments, most involving either tits, gore, vaguely nauseating meat eating and / or the film's theatrical gimmick, a 'warning bell' which lets concerned viewers know when horror stuff is about to happen and therefore eneables them to hide or maybe just go away and watch another movie. Although it's nothing like 'Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things', for some reason it felt similar atmospherically.
ABSENTIA - Whilst not all of it works, 'Absentia' left me feeling impressed and intrigued. It's about what happens to missing persons when they're missing, and suggests that they fall foul of... well, some kind of insect deity who lives in an underpass. But it's not 'that' kind of film, relying for the most part on a sustained build up of eerie atmospherics. This is really effective, especially in the first part of the film, where the droning soundtrack, odd encounters and images of white light at the end of tunnels all generate an intense sense of unease. It falls down sometimes when it tries to concretise its ambient dread in the form of jump-scares, which occasionally seem clunky and ill-judged. But overall, really interesting approach and recommended viewing.

Gojirosan 20th July 2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 258761)
Looking back over this thread, it seems like I am in the minority, but I found 'Scott Pilgrim' to be a big disappointment

Maybe I should have played more computer and video games in my youth, but it bored me

I think Edgar Wright works better with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost!

No, I agree.

I saw "Scott Pilgrim..." at the cinema and thought it was OK fun - but I was merely taken in by the fireworks and shiny things. I bought the Blu-ray, watched it again and was utterly underwhelmed. You're asking for trouble trying to get Michael Cera to carry a lead though. Not a likeable actor.

Sadly no-one wants to buy the Blu-ray from me!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th July 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 258932)
No, I agree.

I saw "Scott Pilgrim..." at the cinema and thought it was OK fun - but I was merely taken in by the fireworks and shiny things. I bought the Blu-ray, watched it again and was utterly underwhelmed. You're asking for trouble trying to get Michael Cera to carry a lead though. Not a likeable actor.

Sadly no-one wants to buy the Blu-ray from me!

Thats strange, when you sell the film so well. ;)

fuzzymctiger 20th July 2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 258949)

I'm waiting for the steelbook as an excuse to upgrade

Gojirosan 20th July 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 258949)

My deep rooted inability to lie means I am the world's worst salesman.

Baseball Fury 21st July 2012 12:09 AM

So, yeah, just watched Dark knight Rises.

**** me. Wow.