Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2023 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682139)
The Devil Commands. Edward Dmytryk. 1941.

More Karloff. The fourth of Columbia Pictures barmy boffin series. This time Boris plays Dr.Julian Blair, a kindly somewhat absent minded doc who is researching human brainwaves. When tragedy strikes the good doctor becomes obsessed with attempting to breach the barrier between life and death.
Sadly this was a disappointing effort, even Karloff seems to struggle to do much with this, he seemed bored. I'm not sure if perhaps the producers also felt the cycle was wearing thin but everything but the kitchen sink seems to get thrown at the screen in this one. The mad scientist, the laboratory, an Ygor character in the form of Ralph Penny's brain-damaged brute Karl, the gothic clifftop mansion, perpetual downpours, pitchfork waving villagers. Yet none of it really came together I felt. A shame, Karloff is still good, or at least does nothing wrong. His character becomes more despondent and defeated as the film goes along and it felt like Karloff was feeling that way himself. Maybe it's just what I got from this one though.
Far from a bad film, simply sub-par for the great man.
Attachment 244790

This was one of two from that set i hadn't seen before. Doesn't make me want to rush out to get it now. Not that i did anyway. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2023 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House of the Devil (2009)

Director Ti West proved himself a master in the dark art of making a film where bugger all happens for 80 minutes, yet it remains entirely interesting and that time actually flies by.

The House of the Devil is one of those films where the anticipation of what might happen is actually far more fraught with underlying tension than what does actually happen, largely thanks to an impressive performance by Tom Noonan in full on Francis Dolarhyde creepy bastard mode as a gentleman who hires a student babysitter to sit at his home where there isn't actually a baby to sit for.

The rest of the story involves a full moon and the Occult, but it's the journey to the final fifteen minutes that will either enthrall or bore you shitless with this film before the bloody finale.

As with last years X, The House of the Devil is a beautiful homage to seventies slow burn horror and is also notable for Greta Gerwig playing the babysitter's friend a few years before she hit the big time with Lady Bird (2017)

MrBarlow 19th February 2023 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Executive Decision. 1996.

Good crafted well written and directed tense thriller with Kurt Russell as the office guy dragged along with Steven Seagal and his men to infiltrate a plane in mid flight that's been hijacked by David Suchet. Fortunately Seagal is only in part of the film so all eyes are not focussed on him strutting his stuff and looking out of breath. With a cast of John Leguizamo, Joe Morton, Oliver Platt, Halle Berry, B.D. Wong nobody tries to outshine everyone.

Aside from a good built up of tense moments and Platt's character looking like a nervous wreck there is some quirky comments and Morton's character able to give out some laughs while in agony. David Suchet shows he can step out of the limelight from Poirot and step into another role of a mad terrorist.

Attachment 244792

DahliaGebera 19th February 2023 11:57 AM

Film and a book

A quick question. More like a small survey. Do you also partly read the books on films (if available) :) ?

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaGebera (Post 682145)
A quick question. More like a small survey. Do you also partly read the books on films (if available) :) ?

Sure do. There's The Film Books thread for all discussion and news regarding new titles and books bought.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/boo...hread-120.html

SymbioticFunction 19th February 2023 01:34 PM

Enjoyed watching dirty harry in Magnum Force as my Sunday afternoon film. The only reason I'm posting about it, is because I wanted to mention something that winds up my American wife: a silencer on a revolver. :) Funny how you sometimes see this in certain movies.

J Harker 19th February 2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682140)
This was one of two from that set i hadn't seen before. Doesn't make me want to rush out to get it now. Not that i did anyway. [emoji38]

You might like it Dem. In theory you should as it tries some interesting things combining the occult and science. There's a weird sort of sci-fi seance going on at one point, as an individual scene its quite eerie and well done.
The first two mad science themed films The Man They Could Not Hang and The Man With Nine Lives, make the Eureka/Columbia set worth it for me. For the price it can now be picked up definitely.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682149)
You might like it Dem. In theory you should as it tries some interesting things combining the occult and science. There's a weird sort of sci-fi seance going on at one point, as an individual scene its quite eerie and well done.
The first two mad science themed films The Man They Could Not Hang and The Man With Nine Lives, make the Eureka/Columbia set worth it for me. For the price it can now be picked up definitely.

I don't actually love those mad scientist movies at all. Which is why i haven't rushed out to buy the Blu's. I have them on good quality dvd's and that's probably fine. Half of them border on crime rather than horror and it seemed the studios found them a cheap way of reusing sets and similar premises rather than coming up with something original. They were certainly being hammered by RKO when it came to quality horror at the time.

J Harker 19th February 2023 03:58 PM

Ah fair enough. Horses for courses Dem. The worse film in the set by a long way for me has been The Black Room, which isn't one of the science films and I seem to recall being the only one you particularly rate.
I've just got The Boogie Man Will Get You left to watch. It doesn't seem to have a great rep even though it sounds fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2023 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Christine (1983)

Although based on the book by Stephen King, Christine is probably one of director John Carpenter's less heralded works from his golden eighties period.

It is with me, i don't know why because it's brilliant, yet last night was only the second time i'd ever seen the film and the first on Blu-ray.

More a dark fantasy than genuine horror film, Christine tells the story of the change in personality of geeky school kid Arnie Cunningham and how it affects his relationships with friends and family when he buys a clapped out 1958 Plymouth Fury and decides to do it up, little knowing the car, named Christine, has a murderous back story.

As with so much of Stephen King's work Christine is beautifully realised in a human sense with it's depiction of older teen culture. Arnie, really well played by Keith Gordon, has our sympathies to begin with but the longer he is influenced by the car the more we root for girlfriend Alexandra Paul and best friend John Stockwell as they are the ones being sidelined by the car's presence in Arnie's life. So much of the film is basically classic US college drama that you forget it's also a supernatural thriller until Christine gets to work on the dudes that have made Arnie's life a misery through high school.

Christine is a gorgeous looking car, i know at one point i doubted if it would fit through my standard driveway being an American vehicle from the fifties that's wider by far than typical cars nowadays. Christine develops so much of her own evil personality that come the finale i actually found myself rooting for Stockwell's Bulldozer as if it were Robot Wars or something.

As a piece of celluloid entertainment, Christine hits all the right marks. It's well acted - there's a great support adult cast including Harry Dean Stanton, Robert Prosky and Roberts Blossom - rattles along at a good pace with some terrific set pieces and is a lot of bad to the bone fun.

J Harker 19th February 2023 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682158)
Christine (1983)

Although based on the book by Stephen King, Christine is probably one of director John Carpenter's less heralded works from his golden eighties period.

It is with me, i don't know why because it's brilliant, yet last night was only the second time i'd ever seen the film and the first on Blu-ray.

More a dark fantasy than genuine horror film, Christine tells the story of the change in personality of geeky school kid Arnie Cunningham and how it affects his relationships with friends and family when he buys a clapped out 1958 Plymouth Fury and decides to do it up, little knowing the car, named Christine, has a murderous back story.

As with so much of Stephen King's work Christine is beautifully realised in a human sense with it's depiction of older teen culture. Arnie, really well played by Keith Gordon, has our sympathies to begin with but the longer he is influenced by the car the more we root for girlfriend Alexandra Paul and best friend John Stockwell as they are the ones being sidelined by the car's presence in Arnie's life. So much of the film is basically classic US college drama that you forget it's also a supernatural thriller until Christine gets to work on the dudes that have made Arnie's life a misery through high school.

Christine is a gorgeous looking car, i know at one point i doubted if it would fit through my standard driveway being an American vehicle from the fifties that's wider by far than typical cars nowadays. Christine develops so much of her own evil personality that come the finale i actually found myself rooting for Stockwell's Bulldozer as if it were Robot Wars or something.

As a piece of celluloid entertainment, Christine hits all the right marks. It's well acted - there's a great support adult cast including Harry Dean Stanton, Robert Prosky and Roberts Blossom - rattles along at a good pace with some terrific set pieces and is a lot of bad to the bone fun.

Excellent review Dem. I love Christine, but it never quite feels like a John Carpenter movie.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682159)
Excellent review Dem. I love Christine, but it never quite feels like a John Carpenter movie.

Thank you. :thumb:

His soundtrack doesn't really have the same impact as with his other films. It's not consistently pounding away in the background. There are also quite a few actual songs in the film from artists like The Rolling Stones and George Thorogood and the Destroyers. I put on Carpenter's music only track afterwards for a while and there were lengthy whole scenes which were silent.

MrBarlow 19th February 2023 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Animal Instincts II. 1994.

Joanna, separated from David and trying to move on, now living in a different house she catches the eye of the neighbour, a cctv installer who plants a camera in her house.

Shannon Whirry returns as Joanna who is sharing her story with another person (we see at the end who it is and not really a big plot twist). It does take some time before she gets her kit off but there is one or two hanky panky moments before that to remind us we are watching a erotic thriller.

Woody Brown and Elizabeth Sandifer play the pleasant neighbours although Woody may be having problems getting a bit of wood (not mocking, again it can happen to the best of us) and seems to think voyuering on the neighbour and other people can get his motor running again.

Like the previous film, what starts off as harmless fun can lead to a darker road of trouble and almost murder. The acting in this isn't too bad, again a small B movie but does have a decent background score and Whirry doesn't disappoint when she has her kit off.

Attachment 244800

trebor8273 19th February 2023 06:45 PM

The Quiet place 1 & 2.

First time watching these . The first film takes place not long after a alien invasion . We follow a family trying to survive , most of the movie has little sound and talking as the aliens hunt by sound and could hear a mouse fart in a hurricane . Have to say I wasn't expecting the shocking opening even at the last second I was expecting the kid to be rescued. The next move takes place straight after the first as we follow the family once again seeking safety this time armed with a weapon to combat the aliens.

Enjoyed both of these movies which found tense and well acted.

Now watching .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszwuX1AK6A

MrBarlow 19th February 2023 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We still Kill The old Way. 2014.

Retired former Londoner gangster Charlie is beaten to death by a gang, his brother Ritchie returns from Spain and with his former firm members go for revenge.

Ian Ogilvy plays the retired and living the dream Ritchie, James Cosmo as the Enforcer Arthur, Chris Ellison as Torturer Roy and Tony Denham as Butch. This can have It's moments of being upsetting especially seeing Steven Berkoff getting a beaten after trying to be a hero to Dani Dyer. This was a blind watch and this had its moments of violence but has its comedy moments that never spoil the film especially seeing pensioners trying to capture their younger days in handing out vengeance.

Attachment 244801

J Harker 19th February 2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 682166)
We still Kill The old Way. 2014.

Retired former Londoner gangster Charlie is beaten to death by a gang, his brother Ritchie returns from Spain and with his former firm members go for revenge.

Ian Ogilvy plays the retired and living the dream Ritchie, James Cosmo as the Enforcer Arthur, Chris Ellison as Torturer Roy and Tony Denham as Butch. This can have It's moments of being upsetting especially seeing Steven Berkoff getting a beaten after trying to be a hero to Dani Dyer. This was a blind watch and this had its moments of violence but has its comedy moments that never spoil the film especially seeing pensioners trying to capture their younger days in handing out vengeance.

Attachment 244801

I loved this film MrB. I really need to watch the sequel. Both of these were in Poundland for a...well a pound, a few years ago. I've had the second one, We Still Steal The Old Way for a few years now.

MrBarlow 19th February 2023 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682167)
I loved this film MrB. I really need to watch the sequel. Both of these were in Poundland for a...well a pound, a few years ago. I've had the second one, We Still Steal The Old Way for a few years now.

I didn't realise there was a sequel until it poped up at the end credits, I'm gonna go on a hunt for it tomorrow hopefully.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2023 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682167)
I loved this film MrB.

Yep, me too. It's brilliant.

Obviously Mr.B didn't think so from his write up. Moments that never spoil the film.

The sequel is good but not a patch on the original for me.

MrBarlow 19th February 2023 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682171)
Yep, me too. It's brilliant.

Obviously Mr.B didn't think so from his write up. Moments that never spoil the film.

The sequel is good but not a patch on the original for me.

It was entertaining and different from what i expected it to be

Demoncrat 19th February 2023 09:25 PM

Evil Dead Trap 2 (1992)

Nothing at all like the first, except for the grue :laugh:
A shy projectionist, her flighty friend and her seedy "boyfriend" spiral wildly out of control as you do. One of them seems to harbour a demon, I either blinked at the wrong moment or something but whatever. The grotty atmosphere permeates the film like a bad smell.
After some chit chat, we get down to the core of the matter. Fans of Society take note cough.

El Gringo (2012, Eduardo Rodriguez)

Scott Adkins caper.
Finally got my hands on this one. SA wanders into town with one thing in mind. Aqua vita .... what he actually gets is sort of covered in the claret. Christian Slater pops up when you least expect him :rolleyes::nod::lol:
I also got to see my first Adkins sex scene, which was ... interestingly ... edited like most of the first half of the flick. Ahem.

MrBarlow 20th February 2023 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maximum Risk. 1996.

French policeman Alain discovers he had a twin that has died and assumes his identity to try and discover why he was killed and uncovers corruption between the F.B.I and a Russian Mob in America.

JCVD teams with Asian director Ringo Lam in this mid 90s film that begins in France then across to New York and then back France teaming up with Natasha Henstridge who tries to help Alain and keep him alive and shows off her body from the side. This was a decent solid action flick with some good decently choreographed fight scenes and one or two twists added in nicely. This was the start of Van Damme movies to go straight to DVD but this is certainly worth a watch.

Attachment 244803

MrBarlow 20th February 2023 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Body Chemistry. 1990.

Two doctors working on a research project of sexual.response begin to have a affair until one wants to end it and things take a different turn.

Marc Singer plays the happily married man and Lisa Pescia as the new research assistant along with David Kagan who seems out of sorts with his character. To be honest I felt this was a poor attempt to rip or near copy Fatal Attraction without the boiling bunny but a boiled crab in the post. There was points in this film that was getting interesting then kinda went off the rails or just dragged on a bit, will be checking out the sequel to see if it's any better.

Attachment 244804

MrBarlow 20th February 2023 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Body Chemistry II. 1991.

Dr. Claire Archer is working as a radio psychologist using her own technique to uncover what makes people tick with their sex life. Dan who is struggling with his own problems comes under Claire's attention and entices him to unleash his behaviour.

Femme Fatalè Lisa Pescia returns as Dr Archer now living in a new town and takes a job from Morton Downey Jr as a radio phone in consultant and able to manipulate her way while angering her manager Robin Riker with her unconventional answers, while her old flame Gregory Harrison is having problems with violent behaviour. The plot to this sounded really interesting but feels like its been done before, very little happens except mind games, nothing built up well or any tense moments. Only decent part is seeing Lisa Pescia semi nude in the bath.

Attachment 244805

There is four of these films and thats two down, are the other two any better?? Anyway have a great Monday all.

Nordicdusk 20th February 2023 08:06 AM

I'm working my way through the Mission Impossible films at the moment. I only ever saw the first two not sure why I never got around to the rest.

So over the last two night I have watched 3 and Ghost Protocol. Both films are a lot of fun with Tom Cruise doing so many of his own crazy stunts it always adds that bit more to the fun of the films just knowing he is putting himself on the line for our entertainment. I found Ghost Protocol was a little bit cheesier at times compared to pt 3 but overall it's just a real good time. Rouge Nation tonight and Fallout tomorrow night then I'm starting on Daniel Craig James Bond film I have only seen Casino Royale yeah yeah I know. :behindsofa:

Sorry for the not very indept review but my tablet broke and I hate using this stupid phone :lol:

J Harker 20th February 2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 682184)
I'm working my way through the Mission Impossible films at the moment. I only ever saw the first two not sure why I never got around to the rest.

So over the last two night I have watched 3 and Ghost Protocol. Both films are a lot of fun with Tom Cruise doing so many of his own crazy stunts it always adds that bit more to the fun of the films just knowing he is putting himself on the line for our entertainment. I found Ghost Protocol was a little bit cheesier at times compared to pt 3 but overall it's just a real good time. Rouge Nation tonight and Fallout tomorrow night then I'm starting on Daniel Craig James Bond film I have only seen Casino Royale yeah yeah I know. :behindsofa:

Sorry for the not very indept review but my tablet broke and I hate using this stupid phone [emoji38]

The Mission Improbable films are all decent, I've actually only seen the original once so need to revisit that one. I'm surprised you found Rogue Nation cheesier than the third installment. From memory 3 was very corny in places. I felt Rogue Nation actually tried to make up for that with its seriousness.

J Harker 20th February 2023 09:22 AM

Ant Man & The Wasp : Quantumania. Peyton Reed. 2023.

Here we go again back into Marvel land. I'm a big fan of the Marvel film franchise, have been since the beginning, where I eagerly awaited each installment. Now, well Disney have overkilled it a bit for me.
I go into these films with wearier more sceptical eyes. Or I'm just an old git...possibly.
Anyway, Quantumania. The third in the Ant Man series sees Scott Lang's now grown up daughter Cassie (played by Kathryn Newton) invent a thingy in a basement. Like all boffin types in Marvel, time, space and resources are never an issue. Next thing we know said thingy has ripped open a portal to the quantum realm, previously explored briefly in the previous film and becoming hugely relevant to the central storyline of the Marvel universe.
This time it is revealed that Janet Van Dyne played by Michelle Pfiefer who had spent 40 years trapped in the quantum realm had conveniently failed to mention that there was a whole world down there with it own people. A people oppressed by the tyrannical power mad Kang the Conqueror.
Cue the usual Paul Rudd humour although I suppose with a more serious edge than before. Loads of effects, many a little ropier than usual. I enjoyed it a lot, its undemanding fun. The plot is absurd with further absurdities every few moments. Culminating in a huge battle that defies even its own internal logic repeatedly and unashamedly. If you don't mind this sort of thing then there's much to enjoy. Dem, stay well well away, the planet chucking is very much a thing here.

Nordicdusk 20th February 2023 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682185)
The Mission Improbable films are all decent, I've actually only seen the original once so need to revisit that one. I'm surprised you found Rogue Nation cheesier than the third installment. From memory 3 was very corny in places. I felt Rogue Nation actually tried to make up for that with its seriousness.

Some of the lines and the humour moments felt cheesier in Rouge Nation I'll blame Simon Pegg for that :lol:

J Harker 20th February 2023 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 682187)
Some of the lines and the humour moments felt cheesier in Rouge Nation I'll blame Simon Pegg for that [emoji38]

Perhaps I need to rewatch.

Susan Foreman 20th February 2023 10:57 AM

Quote:

I'm working my way through the Mission Impossible films at the moment.

...with Tom Cruise doing so many of his own crazy stunts it always adds that bit more to the fun of the films just knowing he is putting himself on the line for our entertainment

As someone who suffers with vertigo, I find these films impossible to watch!

Nordicdusk 20th February 2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 682189)
As someone who suffers with vertigo, I find these films impossible to watch!

Yeah so parts in that scene are a tough watch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 682179)
Maximum Risk. 1996.

French policeman Alain discovers he had a twin that has died and assumes his identity to try and discover why he was killed and uncovers corruption between the F.B.I and a Russian Mob in America.

JCVD teams with Asian director Ringo Lam in this mid 90s film that begins in France then across to New York and then back France teaming up with Natasha Henstridge who tries to help Alain and keep him alive and shows off her body from the side. This was a decent solid action flick with some good decently choreographed fight scenes and one or two twists added in nicely. This was the start of Van Damme movies to go straight to DVD but this is certainly worth a watch.

I definitely saw this at the cinema, Mr.B. At the time it was of great interest because it was i think Van Damme's first work with a Hong Kong director in Ringo Lam and Lam's first American film as a director as he was seemingly breaking out ala John Woo into Hollywood.

That action sequence and car chase on the streets of Nice was superb at the time and we all thought it was the best we'd seen... then A couple of years later Ronin came along. :lol:

I'm pretty sure his subsequent films with Hong Kong directors also had cinema releases too.

Edit - Yeah just checked. Even Universal Soldier The Return had cinema releases. It was Replicant in 2001 that was his first direct to dvd film. Typical seeing as it's not long ago i bought this on Blu.

Edit 2 - Interesting that The Expendables 2 was Van Damme's first wide cinema release in the States since Universal Soldier The Return in 1999. A 13 year gap.

I learn something new every day, not all of it useful i admit.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2023 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 682186)
Ant Man & The Wasp : Quantumania. Peyton Reed. 2023.

Here we go again back into Marvel land. I'm a big fan of the Marvel film franchise, have been since the beginning, where I eagerly awaited each installment. Now, well Disney have overkilled it a bit for me.
I go into these films with wearier more sceptical eyes. Or I'm just an old git...possibly.
Anyway, Quantumania. The third in the Ant Man series sees Scott Lang's now grown up daughter Cassie (played by Kathryn Newton) invent a thingy in a basement. Like all boffin types in Marvel, time, space and resources are never an issue. Next thing we know said thingy has ripped open a portal to the quantum realm, previously explored briefly in the previous film and becoming hugely relevant to the central storyline of the Marvel universe.
This time it is revealed that Janet Van Dyne played by Michelle Pfiefer who had spent 40 years trapped in the quantum realm had conveniently failed to mention that there was a whole world down there with it own people. A people oppressed by the tyrannical power mad Kang the Conqueror.
Cue the usual Paul Rudd humour although I suppose with a more serious edge than before. Loads of effects, many a little ropier than usual. I enjoyed it a lot, its undemanding fun. The plot is absurd with further absurdities every few moments. Culminating in a huge battle that defies even its own internal logic repeatedly and unashamedly. If you don't mind this sort of thing then there's much to enjoy. Dem, stay well well away, the planet chucking is very much a thing here.

I will.

Sadly i liked the first two Antman films because they were so grounded in reality. (Sort of)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the not very indept review but my tablet broke and I hate using this stupid phone :lol:

Excellent films. For me Mission Impossible:Fallout is by far the best though with some breath taking action. That lengthy helicopter sequence at the end is probably my favourite action sequence in cinema.

Hope you enjoy them, Nordy. Let that Dolby Atmos soundtrack on Fallout flatten your new house.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2023 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016)

A sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) although the opening half hour also acts as a prequel to that film which sees Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman along with once thought dead wife Sara (Jessica Chastain) and four dwarves including Nick Frost, Rob Brydon and Sheridan Smith, on a trek to find the dead evil queen Ravenna's (Charlize Theron) magic mirror.

A film that's visually stunning with all the snow white landscapes but it's so very similar to the first film in that it involves a set up then a journey before the inevitable showdown. It's like a baby Tolkien trilogy in one two hour film.

The addition of Emily Blunt's ice queen is fun, two evil queens in one movie? There must be a battle between the two? Surely? Of course there is and it's intriguing watching Theron and Blunt out do each other. Hemsworth is made for roles such as the Huntsman and Chastain proves herself a fine action heroine in a rare ass kicking role meanwhile the four dwarves up the humour levels

The action is fast and frenetic and the film on the whole is very enjoyable however although i've seen this before i don't recommend you watch it soon after seeing the original film as they are essentially the same movie.

Nordicdusk 20th February 2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682198)
Excellent films. For me Mission Impossible:Fallout is by far the best though with some breath taking action. That lengthy helicopter sequence at the end is probably my favourite action sequence in cinema.

Hope you enjoy them, Nordy. Let that Dolby Atmos soundtrack on Fallout flatten your new house.

Tomorrow night for that one think it's Rouge Nation tonight.

MrBarlow 20th February 2023 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682193)
I definitely saw this at the cinema, Mr.B. At the time it was of great interest because it was i think Van Damme's first work with a Hong Kong director in Ringo Lam and Lam's first American film as a director as he was seemingly breaking out ala John Woo into Hollywood.

That action sequence and car chase on the streets of Nice was superb at the time and we all thought it was the best we'd seen... then A couple of years later Ronin came along. :lol:

I'm pretty sure his subsequent films with Hong Kong directors also had cinema releases too.

Edit - Yeah just checked. Even Universal Soldier The Return had cinema releases. It was Replicant in 2001 that was his first direct to dvd film. Typical seeing as it's not long ago i bought this on Blu.

Edit 2 - Interesting that The Expendables 2 was Van Damme's first wide cinema release in the States since Universal Soldier The Return in 1999. A 13 year gap.

I learn something new every day, not all of it useful i admit.

Thanks for the update Dem, Universal Soldier: The Return by all means isn't perfect and Bill Goldberg trying to act and given most of the cheesiest dialogue is a bit of a laugh but its one I do enjoy. Replicant was a decent movie and good teaming of JCVD and Michael Rooker. As for Ronin I definitely need to re-watch that film.

J Harker 20th February 2023 03:00 PM

Ronin is brilliant. First time I watched it a youngster it went over my head and seemed dull. Rewatched it about 18months back and it's a superb thriller.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2023 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 682201)
Thanks for the update Dem, Universal Soldier: The Return by all means isn't perfect and Bill Goldberg trying to act and given most of the cheesiest dialogue is a bit of a laugh but its one I do enjoy. Replicant was a decent movie and good teaming of JCVD and Michael Rooker. As for Ronin I definitely need to re-watch that film.

I think i've seen Universal Soldier The Return but couldn't tell you a thing about it.

Demoncrat 20th February 2023 06:02 PM

Kiss Of The Vampire (1963, Don Sharp)

Honeymooning? Feel free to drop into Castle Ravna, we love to have guests, especially ones who want to extend their stay.
Lesser effort or not, I had some fun with this one, what with the novel take on curing bites ahem. For all that, Noel Gilman's performance is a tad bloodless (intentional?) which does lessen the impact. Another one that I thought I'd seen on my travels, you live and learn ...

MrBarlow 21st February 2023 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WAZ. 2007.

After a body is found with the equation of W Delta Z, two detectives try to uncover who is behind the killings when another body is found, and one detective may know something about a previous crime.

Stellan Skarsgard teams up with Melissa George to try and crack the case and the riddle of the equation before more bodies start piling up and dealing with two different street gangs one being led by a very sweaty Tom Hardy. The atmosphere is almost dark and where there is light is only at the police station which sets it up being the only safe place. There is one or two scenes that can be disturbing and that involves a young child, we don't see anything happening but can only imagine it and the after effects and some scenes of torture that may make you cringe. Tough, gritty and entertaining.

Attachment 244846