Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 7th August 2021 09:18 AM

Stardust (2020, Gabriel Range)

The Bowie "biopic".
Fair play to Johnny Flynn, who has a swipe of the Dame imho. How I wish the film had anything to back him up. If you've ever read the hilarious hack job Alias David Bowie, then hooray, they've made a film of it :pound:
Offensive and rather meagre (not being allowed to use the songs ahem), this was far more of a phantasmagoria than the Queen flick (and that's saying something), without the humour that engendered.
AVOID LF.
0/10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th August 2021 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Perfect Getaway (2009)

A fun thriller in which two couples vacationing in Hawaii's outer reaches find out two killers posing as newly weds are on the island.

For the most part this is quite clever, although thanks to an earlier watch on dvd i did remember who the killers were. Hawaii with it's beaches, cliffs and lakes looks beautiful in HD in this entertaining occasionally violent romp but as a warning don't bother with the directors cut which adds 12 minutes to the theatrical version and brings nothing other than unnecessary flab to the film which takes away from the slick pacing of the original.

Frankie Teardrop 7th August 2021 03:11 PM

AUTOPSY – A few points lift this giallo above the usual procedural-mode dullness. Its strangely grim atmosphere, aided by a lot of cadaver imagery that seems to pop up at the slightest opportunity, is warped even further by semi-psychedelic references to solar flares and their role in a wave of apparent suicides. I wanted all that stuff to be taken further, but it wasn’t long before ‘Autopsy’ showed its hand as a staunch murder mystery (albeit one in which errant priests turn out to be burned-out formula one drivers and don’t have any scruples about slapping people around). Another plus is that it’s relatively fast-paced considering its run-time, and throws in quite a bit of sleaze.

SCREAM – Sometimes a bad dream will wake me, and I’ll lie staring at my ceiling into the early hours, the relentless boredom eventually becoming oddly trance-like… sentient beings watching ‘Scream’ will probably end up feeling something similar. It’s about a bunch of hikers who end up stranded in a deserted town, only to be bloodlessly hacked by a slasher / supernatural entity (it’s never quite clear which). Despite the fact that nothing much happens in it, I found it weirdly engrossing. The eerie long takes of objects and wallpaper, the constant misty atmosphere (the makers had obviously seen ‘The Fog’), the random incidents involving guys on bikes, the wonky score, all of these add edge to the aimlessness and make downtime hypnotic. It’s not as over-the-top as something like ‘Hellgate’, but it’s about as senseless. I have a feeling that most will think it’s quite rubbish, but ‘Scream’ pushes my buttons… I don’t know about yours. If you like ‘huh?’-inducing, slightly lame horror movies from the late seventies / early eighties such as, I dunno, ‘The Forest’ or similar, you might give it a chance.

CHAMPAGNE AND BULLETS – Definitely belongs somewhere on a special list, one that incorporates the likes of ‘Samurai Cop’, ‘White Fire’, ‘The Miami Connection’ etc etc – in other words, it’s an attempt at an action flick that has gone wrong in the most sublime way possible. That ‘Champagne and Bullets’ is a vanity movie conceived by the gargantuan ego of one ‘John De Hart’ – he writes, he directs, he stars – almost demands it a list unto itself. The potency of its badness is patent in the screwy tonal shifts (we go from amiable buddy hijinks to scenes of occult child sacrifice in the blink of a befuddled eye, dismal sex scenes drown in atonal acoustic jangling, hilarious karaoke gives way to awful rape etc etc) and the absurdity of its plot is amply encapsulated by the identity of its villain, who manages to be a disliked cop colleague, a corrupt judge, a crazed cult leader and a cartel drug lord whenever the occasion demands… yeah, it’s wacky. Well, when Wings Hauser is your movie’s most sensible proposition, you’re f?cked. Musical numbers predominate. In a bar scene, John De Hart sings his theme tune, backed by ‘local talent’. Watch the band behind him on stage. They’re p*ssing themselves. Heart-breaking, but so will you.

Demoncrat 7th August 2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 657261)
AUTOPSY – A few points lift this giallo above the usual procedural-mode dullness. Its strangely grim atmosphere, aided by a lot of cadaver imagery that seems to pop up at the slightest opportunity, is warped even further by semi-psychedelic references to solar flares and their role in a wave of apparent suicides. I wanted all that stuff to be taken further, but it wasn’t long before ‘Autopsy’ showed its hand as a staunch murder mystery (albeit one in which errant priests turn out to be burned-out formula one drivers and don’t have any scruples about slapping people around). Another plus is that it’s relatively fast-paced considering its run-time, and throws in quite a bit of sleaze.

SCREAM – Sometimes a bad dream will wake me, and I’ll lie staring at my ceiling into the early hours, the relentless boredom eventually becoming oddly trance-like… sentient beings watching ‘Scream’ will probably end up feeling something similar. It’s about a bunch of hikers who end up stranded in a deserted town, only to be bloodlessly hacked by a slasher / supernatural entity (it’s never quite clear which). Despite the fact that nothing much happens in it, I found it weirdly engrossing. The eerie long takes of objects and wallpaper, the constant misty atmosphere (the makers had obviously seen ‘The Fog’), the random incidents involving guys on bikes, the wonky score, all of these add edge to the aimlessness and make downtime hypnotic. It’s not as over-the-top as something like ‘Hellgate’, but it’s about as senseless. I have a feeling that most will think it’s quite rubbish, but ‘Scream’ pushes my buttons… I don’t know about yours. If you like ‘huh?’-inducing, slightly lame horror movies from the late seventies / early eighties such as, I dunno, ‘The Forest’ or similar, you might give it a chance.

CHAMPAGNE AND BULLETS – Definitely belongs somewhere on a special list, one that incorporates the likes of ‘Samurai Cop’, ‘White Fire’, ‘The Miami Connection’ etc etc – in other words, it’s an attempt at an action flick that has gone wrong in the most sublime way possible. That ‘Champagne and Bullets’ is a vanity movie conceived by the gargantuan ego of one ‘John De Hart’ – he writes, he directs, he stars – almost demands it a list unto itself. The potency of its badness is patent in the screwy tonal shifts (we go from amiable buddy hijinks to scenes of occult child sacrifice in the blink of a befuddled eye, dismal sex scenes drown in atonal acoustic jangling, hilarious karaoke gives way to awful rape etc etc) and the absurdity of its plot is amply encapsulated by the identity of its villain, who manages to be a disliked cop colleague, a corrupt judge, a crazed cult leader and a cartel drug lord whenever the occasion demands… yeah, it’s wacky. Well, when Wings Hauser is your movie’s most sensible proposition, you’re f?cked. Musical numbers predominate. In a bar scene, John De Hart sings his theme tune, backed by ‘local talent’. Watch the band behind him on stage. They’re p*ssing themselves. Heart-breaking, but so will you.

Scream is a stodgy delight.
Glad you dug Geteven FT!!! :nod::nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2021 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
River's Edge (1986)

Dazed and Confused - the murder years.

Bleak, uncompromising and unglamorous this is as far away from typical teen movies as you can get. It's monsters are all too real giving the film a stench of decay so strong it practically ranks as a horror film.

Great performances* from Crispin Glover (Although maybe i shouldn't have watched this so soon after Back to the Future), Ione Skye and Daniel Roebuck give this a grimy sense of brooding believability and the washed out colours add to the all round air of gloom.

*Keanu Reeves produces an early performance playing Keanu Reeves.

Demoncrat 9th August 2021 09:39 AM

Watch Me When I Kill (1977, Antonio Bido)

When a woman accidentally disturbs a maniac, she seems to become his next target. Her partner determines to track down the culprit!!
Less gaudy and somewhat more procedural in tone, this still held my attention (mainly due to the dialogue ahem). A minor effort for all that imho.

Nordicdusk 9th August 2021 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235258

Everyone knows the story the only difference is a little more of Michael as a kid and the whole sister thing.

Coming from someone who thinks Halloween is one of the best films of all time not just horror i really dont see why there is so much hate for this film. Granted i love everything Rob Zombie does but my view of this is not some sort of fanboy bias its a genuinely brilliant film in my view.

I love the nasty gritty childhood of Michael and the most satisfying part of that was the revenge on the bully in the woods i always love when a bully gets his. When it comes to the adult Michael sweet jesus is Tyler Mane is one scary son a bitch. The film is full of the usual suspects we are accustomed to in Rob Zombies films but none of them really get too much screen time and there is a surprise appearance from Mickey Dolenz from The Monkees.

This is a relentless brutal nasty gritty film and its alot of fun if that's your idea of fun :lol:.

8/10

Nordicdusk 9th August 2021 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235259

One Armed Boxer

After a fight breaks out between two rival martial arts schools the defeated school cannot accept defeat so they lie to their master to make him make a challenge for a fight to settle the insult but there is a similar result and they once again return home with their tails between their legs but as before they will not accept that that they have been bested and the master hires a number of mercenaries from all over each from different martial arts styles to get their revenge. In the battle the school is wiped out and the best fighter has his arm ripped off and left for dead but lucky for him he is found and nursed back to health and thought how to strike a killer blow and become even more dangerous than when he had both arms.

Right from the first minute this is non stop action there are two mass brawls in the first 5 minutes and it never stops right up until the final credits. Sometimes it can get a bit tedious if it's just constant fighting but there are so many different fighting styles here that it's an absolute pleasure to watch with every fight feeling fresh and new. The story is a basic one the student must avenge his master's death while overcoming his own trials and tribulations but its still an entertaining one with how fast paced everything is and the 90 minutes just flies by.

Recommended 100%

8/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2021 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Short Sharp Shocks (2020)

A series of short films that would have been programmers alongside a main feature in British cinemas from the 1940's-1980's.

Lock Your Door (1949)

The Reformation of St Jules (1949)

I had high hopes for these two short films. Part of a series in which the renowned author Algernon Blackwood tells his own stories whilst sat at a fireplace. I'd hoped these would be a precursor for the classic MR James television adaptations as told by Christopher Lee and Robert Powell which i absolutely adore and in a way they are. Except Blackwood, despite being a prolific writer of ghost and horror stories which i have a lovely compendium of, is a really boring storyteller. He never looks into the camera, never engages the viewer and is sadly not at all interesting.

So, so disappointing.

Portrait of a Matador (1958)

Duller than dull tale of a matador and an artist. This was poorly acted and my mind was wandering from the off. Notable only for an appearance from Yvonne Romain.

Death Was a Passenger (1958)

I wasn't looking forward to this second Theodore Zichy effort after struggling to stay awake through Portrait of a Matador, but thankfully this tale of Terrence Alexander recounting to his fellow passengers a lucky escape he had while trying to escape the Nazis on a train at the start of WWII has a bit more about it and takes it's hat off to classic train set films like Berlin Express (1948). At least this throws a bit of mystery and the odd thrill our way if not exactly a short sharp shock.

I still have The Tell Tale Heart (1953) to watch but as it's another camp fire / fireside tale type thing, this time read by the great Stanley Baker i thought i'd leave it for another day.

Hopefully this and what is to come on disc two will make this set a little more memorable because following 4/9 tales it's a collection fast heading to CEX.

gag 10th August 2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 657348)

A series of short films that would have been programmers alongside a main feature in British cinemas from the 1940's-1980's.

Lock Your Door (1949)

I had high hopes for these two short films. Part of a series in which the renowned author Algernon Blackwood tells his own stories whilst sat at a fireplace. I'd hoped these would be a precursor for the classic MR James television adaptations as told by Christopher Lee and Robert Powell which i absolutely adore and in a way they are. Except Blackwood, despite being a prolific writer of ghost and horror stories which i have a lovely compendium of, is a really boring storyteller. He never looks into the camera, never engages the viewer and is sadly not at all interesting.

So, so disappointing.

Duller than dull tale of a matador and an artist. This was poorly acted and my mind was wandering from the off. Notable only for an appearance from Yvonne Romain.

I wasn't looking forward to this second Theodore Zichy effort after struggling to stay awake through Portrait of a Matador, but thankfully this tale of Terrence Alexander recounting to his fellow passengers a lucky escape he had while trying to escape the Nazis on a train at the start of WWII has a bit more about it and takes it's hat off to classic train set films like Berlin Express (1948). At least this throws a bit of mystery and the odd thrill our way if not exactly a short sharp shock.

I still have The Tell Tale Heart (1953) to watch but as it's another camp fire / fireside tale type thing, this time read by the great Stanley Baker i thought i'd leave it for another day.

Hopefully this and what is to come on disc two will make this set a little more memorable because following 4/9 tales it's a collection fast heading to CEX.

I watched first few and was extremely disappointed bored and lacked interest, and then thought wtf I have just bought this crap for, never bothered or interested in watching 2nd disc.

Mojo 10th August 2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 657348)

Lock Your Door (1949)

So, so disappointing.

Stick with it Dem. The best stuff is on the second disc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2021 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Finishing disc one with The Tell Tale Heart (1953)

Easily the standout piece on the disc. Classic British actor Stanley Baker in costume tells the story of Poe's classic shocker. Shot in moody black and white this is dark and creepy and everything i wanted the Blackwood shorts to be with Baker at times chilling in his delivery.

There are also two fine extras featuring Kate Lees, head of Adelphi Films. The first is a ten minute piece on the discovery of The Tell Tale Heart which was long believed lost whilst the second is a half hour interview about Adelphi. Both are very good and Lees is an excellent interviewee.

nicholasrope 10th August 2021 06:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Logan Lucky

Quirky Comedy which sees brothers, Channing Tatum and Adam Brody team up with Bomber, Daniel Craig to rob a Racetrack during a big race. Entertaining during the planning and robbery stages, not so much during the other aspects.

Stillwater

Matt Damon is the Father of Abigail Breslin who is imprisoned in Marseilles for Murder. Whilst over there, he teams up with a single mother in order to investigate the case. They went for a Drama here which in turn results in some serious lulls in the film. They should have gone for the Thriller route.

Zola

Story based on a series of Tweets, which sees 2 Pole Dancers go to Florida where they end up in Prostitution. Done in a Arthouse/Indie sort of way, I really don't know what to really make of it, I didn't dislike it but it's not one, I think I will watch again. The characters were either unlikeable or stupid (Why would anyone go on a Road Trip with someone you only met 1 day before?)

On the other hand, the Cinema advertised Pig (I need top see some reviews first) and Censor (Which should be good, if it doesn't go all weird)

Truman Show

Jim Carrey is the unwitting star of a 24 hour TV Show where everything is orchestrated. Really good film and watching it again recently, I noticed some new elements which enhanced it (Such as the product placements)

Rush

Story based on the rivalry between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. I don't like Motor Racing but I really enjoyed this film (Which is a testament), it was so entertaining and thrilling with great performances by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhel.

Baywatch

Film starring Dwayne Johnson and Zac Effron which is based on the 90's TV show, which sees the Lifeguards investigate a Drugs Ring. I watch certain films not expecting to watch the greatest film ever but want to be entertained and dodgy CGI aside, I was entertained by this.

Demoncrat 10th August 2021 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hot T-shirts (1980, Chuck Vincent)

A Cannon film. Keep this in mind.
I wonder though if David Lynch had seen this ... flick, as he cast the lead in a similar role in Twin Peaks :nod::lol:
I digress.
A down at heel bar owner finds an unique solution to his woes.
It's a movie of its time certainly :laugh:
Yet again, it looks like reality, but it's not quite .... there ;) ... in that lovely skewed, well basically Cannon way :pop2::nod:
Ahem. I think it was meant to be a "zany comedy" ... you decide :pound:

J Harker 11th August 2021 09:45 AM

Not sure where to ask this and here seems as good as any. Do we have a film locations thread anywhere? I've never seen one but that doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rik 11th August 2021 10:35 AM

I was certain there already was a thread, but I can’t seem to find it, maybe one of the mods will be able to :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 11:17 AM

I've never seen a locations thread.

Start one. :nod:

Susan Foreman 11th August 2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 657383)
I was certain there already was a thread, but I can’t seem to find it

I'm sure there are posts in the Doctor Who thread detailing where episodes were filmed

Maybe you are thinking of those ones?

J Harker 11th August 2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 657385)
I've never seen a locations thread.

Start one. :nod:

I'll start one Friday unless someone finds me or beats me to it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Twenty Nine (1969)

I have no idea why this was even in this set. It's about a bloke who wakes up one Saturday afternoon following a heavy Friday night sesh, except he's he's wearing someone else's clothes and is in someone else's flat.

This could have been a great mystery but it's completely flat as the man tries to work out where he's been for the last few hours. It's only plus point is seeing a snapshot of slightly grimy London life. There's no real drama to it and certainly no short sharp shocks.

Actually i lie. Seeing Youtha Joyce as a prostitute was a short sharp shock i don't wish to relive again.

Justin101 11th August 2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 657371)
Hot T-shirts (1980, Chuck Vincent)

A Cannon film. Keep this in mind.
I wonder though if David Lynch had seen this ... flick, as he cast the lead in a similar role in Twin Peaks :nod::lol:
I digress.
A down at heel bar owner finds an unique solution to his woes.
It's a movie of its time certainly :laugh:
Yet again, it looks like reality, but it's not quite .... there ;) ... in that lovely skewed, well basically Cannon way :pop2::nod:
Ahem. I think it was meant to be a "zany comedy" ... you decide :pound:

Jacques Renault?? I'm kind of intrigued now lol...

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It (2017)

A film which adds nothing in my opinion to the original 80's tv movie it even fails in the exact same ways.

The parts with the kids are excellent, Stephen King has always been terrific at vividly painting kids using the written word but this falls down with Pennywise the scary clown. Mainly because he isn't in the least bit scary so whilst we have some great Stand By Me moments, as a horror film It fails to ignite.

I think i'll watch part II tonight to get it over with.

Justin101 11th August 2021 03:57 PM

Part 2 is OK, but as it's the worst part of the story (the adults return to Derry) you get more boring stuff like the Chinese restaurant and the endless talking. There are some good bits though like when Beverley goes back to her childhood home. The flashback scenes with the kids are also good in part 2 but it would have been so much better if it had all of the Henry Bowers stuff from the book was in it, although one particular scene I can understand why they left it out lol...

One of those times when the book is miles better!

MrBarlow 11th August 2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657415)
Part 2 is OK, but as it's the worst part of the story (the adults return to Derry) you get more boring stuff like the Chinese restaurant and the endless talking. There are some good bits though like when Beverley goes back to her childhood home. The flashback scenes with the kids are also good in part 2 but it would have been so much better if it had all of the Henry Bowers stuff from the book was in it, although one particular scene I can understand why they left it out lol...

I agree with you Justin but way over the top with CGI was a let down for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657415)

What's missing from the book, Justin?

Bowers is scarier than the clown.

Justin101 11th August 2021 04:23 PM

There is a bit where Henry discovers what Patrick has been keeping in his fridge (the dead animals) and Patrick makes a move on Henry and starts touching him (private bits) and henry goes along with it for a while then beats Patrick, all of this happens while Beverly is watching from a bit away.

I think the death of his father is a bit truncated as well, I remember it being more a prolonged bullying by his dad throughout the book.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657423)
There is a bit where Henry discovers what Patrick has been keeping in his fridge (the dead animals) and Patrick makes a move on Henry and starts touching him (private bits) and henry goes along with it for a while then beats Patrick, all of this happens while Beverly is watching from a bit away.

I think the death of his father is a bit truncated as well, I remember it being more a prolonged bullying by his dad throughout the book.

I don't remember that at all. Must be thirty years since i read the book though.

On a side note.

Has anyone bought King's new novel? And if you have have you started reading it? Any good?

Justin101 11th August 2021 04:36 PM

Not yet, there was one that came out last week which seems like a crime novel, then he had one of his hard boiled detective ones earlier in the year, not read either! Not been very good with books this year to be honest. Got more time on my hands these days though.

Demoncrat 11th August 2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657410)
Jacques Renault?? I'm kind of intrigued now lol...

It's an odd one. I won't go totally into it but you would not get away with it now, if only for the fact that high schoolers get involved ahem. Lunacy as only the GoGo Boys know how. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 657427)
Not yet, there was one that came out last week which seems like a crime novel, then he had one of his hard boiled detective ones earlier in the year, not read either! Not been very good with books this year to be honest. Got more time on my hands these days though.

I know what you mean regarding lack of reading. I'm the same.

Dave Boy 11th August 2021 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 657397)
I'll start one Friday unless someone finds me or beats me to it.

Yeah, start one. I'm a location freak and have been to many in and around London and the coast. Lots of Hammer locations.

Attachment 235292
BLACK WIDOW

Well, I thought that was good. It's your usual Marvel affair with lots of CGI mayhem but I had no problem with it at all. I enjoyed it.
The negative reviews never put me off, as I don't listen to them anyway and I'm glad I saw it at the cinema.

Nordicdusk 11th August 2021 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235293

A man on the brink of a mental breakdown just cannot take it any more and he brutally murders the old couple he lives with. When the Sheriff arrives after a small chase and a bit of an ass whooping manages to get him in cuffs. The killer manages to escape and starts taking out a few cops but his second spree of the day is cut short by a few slugs to the chest. In the hospital he is pronounced dead but behind closed doors two doctor have used an experimental drug they have been working on to bring him back to life but the side effects give him super human powers healing. Soon his is back on a killing spree and only one man can stop him Chuck F***in Norris and his action jeans.

Chuck Norris not only is kick ass in this but he just has such a cool i dont give a f*** attitude he knows what he wants and how to get it when it comes to women and his ability to smash your face in if you cross him. This whole film is an amazing advertisement for Chuck Norris very own action jean because i have never seen anyone get their leg that high in jeans that tight but with action jean you could kiss your own gooch :lol:.

Silent rage is a great film plenty of action and the deputy was a really funny likable character without making him cheesy or just coming across like a complete dumb ass. There is a brilliant bar brawl between Chuck and a biker gang that starts with tits and ends with someone going through the bar window on a motorcycle just how all good bar brawls start and finish :lol:

My only complaint has to be the amount of time Chuck is naked or half naked and having sex its like any opportunity to take his top off and get some hot lovin :lol:

8/10

J Harker 11th August 2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 657430)
Yeah, start one. I'm a location freak and have been to many in and around London and the coast. Lots of Hammer locations.

I can't say I've been to any intentionally. Quite likely strolling around the few times I've been in London or New York I may well have without really planning or thinking about it. Taking the family out on a daytrip Friday though and I realised we're only going to 15 mins from a location from one of my favourite horrors.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 657435)
Attachment 235293

A man on the brink of a mental breakdown just cannot take it any more and he brutally murders the old couple he lives with. When the Sheriff arrives after a small chase and a bit of an ass whooping manages to get him in cuffs. The killer manages to escape and starts taking out a few cops but his second spree of the day is cut short by a few slugs to the chest. In the hospital he is pronounced dead but behind closed doors two doctor have used an experimental drug they have been working on to bring him back to life but the side effects give him super human powers healing. Soon his is back on a killing spree and only one man can stop him Chuck F***in Norris and his action jeans.

Chuck Norris not only is kick ass in this but he just has such a cool i dont give a f*** attitude he knows what he wants and how to get it when it comes to women and his ability to smash your face in if you cross him. This whole film is an amazing advertisement for Chuck Norris very own action jean because i have never seen anyone get their leg that high in jeans that tight but with action jean you could kiss your own gooch :lol:.

Silent rage is a great film plenty of action and the deputy was a really funny likable character without making him cheesy or just coming across like a complete dumb ass. There is a brilliant bar brawl between Chuck and a biker gang that starts with tits and ends with someone going through the bar window on a motorcycle just how all good bar brawls start and finish :lol:

My only complaint has to be the amount of time Chuck is naked or half naked and having sex its like any opportunity to take his top off and get some hot lovin :lol:

8/10

Despite Chuck being the meanest, hardest mutha around, i've heard he checks under his bed at night in case Clint Eastwood is there.

Nordicdusk 11th August 2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 657448)
Despite Chuck being the meanest, hardest mutha around, i've heard he checks under his bed at night in case Clint Eastwood is there.

:lol:

MrBarlow 11th August 2021 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Psychic. 1977.

A young girl Virginia living in Italy has visions of her mum who is in England jumping off a cliff, Years later Virginia now grown up discovers a skeleton in her husband's house and investigates it but could she be looking into the future.

This was a nice suspenseful supernatural giallo from Lucio Fulci, aside from the dialogue that was made in English, dubbed in Italian then dubbed back to English that the story seemed to have one or two plot holes or parts that make little sense, this had me gripped onto the edge of the sofa with plenty plot twists that did make me go "Oh F@ck". The acting is done decently from Jennifer O'Neill as the older Virginia who becomes a detective in a mystery that is slowly pieced together. First time seeing this and won't be the last, plus some good interviews with Dardano Sachetti, Antonella Fulci and Fabio Frizzi.

Attachment 235301

Demoncrat 12th August 2021 08:11 AM

Arkham Sanitarium

FF.
Two idiots investigate the aftermath of a cult's shenanigans.
They throw in the odd phrase that Howard used occasionally :pound:
Not quite as funny as Dagon for all that :nod:, though I did laugh at most of it tbh.
Next!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 657454)
The Psychic. 1977.

A young girl Virginia living in Italy has visions of her mum who is in England jumping off a cliff, Years later Virginia now grown up discovers a skeleton in her husband's house and investigates it but could she be looking into the future.

This was a nice suspenseful supernatural giallo from Lucio Fulci, aside from the dialogue that was made in English, dubbed in Italian then dubbed back to English that the story seemed to have one or two plot holes or parts that make little sense, this had me gripped onto the edge of the sofa with plenty plot twists that did make me go "Oh F@ck". The acting is done decently from Jennifer O'Neill as the older Virginia who becomes a detective in a mystery that is slowly pieced together. First time seeing this and won't be the last, plus some good interviews with Dardano Sachetti, Antonella Fulci and Fabio Frizzi.

I only saw this again a few weeks ago and couldn't tell you a thing about it. :lol:

MrBarlow 12th August 2021 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Holy Mountain. 1973.

In a corrupt fueled greed world, a Christ like thief meets a alchemist along with seven others who represent the stars of the solar system travel to seek high enlightenment at a holy temple on a mountain.

This is the second time seeing this film within a year and still find it bizarre, strange yet entertaining for it's colorfulness, are the people who represent the stars are actually representing the seven deadly sins and are forced to seek forgiveness.

There is two scenes that did make me feel uneasy yet Alejandro Jodorowsky managed to pull it off even though back in the 70s he may have had a few people saying "you can't do that" and he managed to do it. I showed Angie the trailer and I knew what her reply would be, hopefully I can convert to watch a good piece of cinema.

Attachment 235309

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2021 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It Chapter Two (2019)

At just shy of three hours this was hard work. To be honest the first ninety minutes or so were very good as the child characters from the first film are summoned back to Derry, Maine, 27 years later to once and for all deal with Pennywise the clown...or die trying.

It's the camaraderie between the characters again works well, helped by an excellent cast including James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain and Bill Hader who breathe renewed life into the film.

It all goes pear shaped during the final hour as the film becomes a CGI shitshow no different to the very worst of Marvel movies and i completely lost interest until the survivors left the cavernous underworld and returned to the streets.

Nice to see cameos from Stephen King and Peter Bogdanovich.