Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mjarbar 18th October 2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 108758)
was it Monster Man, mjarbar?

It could be, all I remember was at the end the truck driver was repeatedly run over with his own truck till he looked like mince meat (it probably was!), his 'brother' was still alive but cut in half on the floor of the shack, and the 'hero/victim' of the film took the monster truck and drove 'off into the sunset'.

All in all, it was a bit of a weird film but good fun.:crazy:

UPDATE: Just saw the imdb post and it is indeed the film. Will try to add it to the growing collection and wants list. Thanks guys.

broonage 18th October 2010 12:45 PM

Monster Man is an incredible film. One of the best 00's horror films! :)

Aurora75 18th October 2010 01:17 PM

Herostratus -

Cool 60's film about a guy who sells his suicide to an advertising company. Gritty and stylish.

Fish Story -

Japanese film about a 70's punk band and it's connection to saving the world from a meteor. Really clever and very enjoyable.

Danger Diabolik! -

Over the top and fun 60's film based on a comic about a professional thief. Great sets and pretty cool overall.

broonage 18th October 2010 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=Inspector Tanzi;108689]Shoot 'Em Up - Great fun, mindless but purely enjoyable!

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...a2/shooten.jpg

And coincidentally, Shoot 'Em Up was directed by the guy who did Monster Man!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2010 01:31 PM

I hated Shoot 'Em Up but Monster Man sounds much more enjoyable!

re.form 18th October 2010 07:32 PM

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

And btw - Monster Man is brilliant. Great fun.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2010 07:58 PM

Not Like Others -- a Swedish vampire film about two sisters who are pursued by a biker gang when one that kills their leader in a club. Pretty good overall although it's not a patch on Let the Right One In.

Possession -- originally on the DPP's list of 72, this is a startling drama that turns into an extremely disturbing horror film featuring a really young Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani.

Venus in Furs -- much better than when I first saw it as a seems less pretentious and a bit more serious in its treatment of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's work.

Make Them Die Slowly 18th October 2010 10:36 PM

THE CRAZIES, not bad for a remake, though lacks some of the dreamier images from the original. Nice cameo from Lynn Lowry.

THE BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS, over the top W.I.P. exploiter, that delivers on the sex and violence, and has a great theme tune over the demented, knicker obsessed title scenes.

Argentofan 19th October 2010 07:15 PM

Frontiers - Kept my attention throughout, good storyline, pretty violent, all in all good film. :D

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 19th October 2010 07:23 PM

Junge Burger - such a funny and imature animated film!

P.S. :laugh:Willies! :laugh:

mercury 19th October 2010 08:13 PM

Watched The Brides of Dracula last night. Not the best Hammer film I've seen.
Saw Observe and Report which was quite funny and Played some less heard of Queen song:woot:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th October 2010 10:32 AM

Last night I watched the blatant rip-off Halloween Night, straight from the poundland. Sure it's obviously a cash in - the dvd even features the same font as the Halloween release not to mention the story being pretty similar -but it's still a pretty enjoyable film. Not amazing but not a turd either. The killer looked particularly deformed (NOES?) and whilst the kills weren't exactly original either, or long, it had a strong emphasis on plot. If you see this in Poundland, I say give it a try.

Inspector Tanzi 20th October 2010 01:55 PM

The Wild Geese - watched the Blu Ray, looks nice, I forgot how enjoyable this film is (and how annoying Richard Harris' son is).

Some of you know me already, those of you who don't are in for a great big ****ing surprise!

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q.../wildgeese.jpg

Inspector Tanzi 20th October 2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 108897)
THE BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS, over the top W.I.P. exploiter, that delivers on the sex and violence, and has a great theme tune over the demented, knicker obsessed title scenes.

Ennio Morricone - Garden of Delights

;)

YouTube - ENNIO MORRICONE -"Il Giardino Delle Delizie" (1967)

pedromonkey 20th October 2010 05:04 PM

watched these two films this week...

Machete - absolutely brilliant, the best thing to come out of the whole grindhouse thing.

Resident Evil: Afterlife - The best resi film since the first....

gag 20th October 2010 08:10 PM

Just finished watching
Harpoon the reyvjavic whale watching massacre

It was a b it hit and miss, it wasnt a particularly bad film but at same time wasnt exactly that gr8 either
But what was with the japanese women yuko at the end i didnt fully get that bit

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th October 2010 10:02 PM

I watched Winter's Bone at the cinema this evening and it was absolutely brilliant with a stunning central performance by Jennifer Lawrence.

nekromantik 20th October 2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 109151)
I watched Winter's Bone at the cinema this evening and it was absolutely brilliant with a stunning central performance by Jennifer Lawrence.

I wanna see that.
Looks pretty good. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th October 2010 10:11 PM

I haven't seen the trailer but I was assured on the way out that the film is very different that the impression given by the trailer -- it is very slowly paced and much more deliberate that in the trailer.

BioZombie 20th October 2010 10:28 PM

Razorback

An Ozsploitation film about a killer razorback (a boar). It wasnt quite the crazy Mad Max meets moster movie I was expecting. A more apt description might be Jaws in the out back. The film builds slowly, and relies heavily on atmosphere. The massive razorback doesnt look overly impressive but the film makers have kept shots of it to a miniumum sensibly deciding less is more when it comes to their monster.

The real stand out part of Razorback is the cinematograpy. All shots are beautifully framed and lit, especially the night scenes. The couple of surreal scenes, one a dream and the other, possibly a mirrage, fit really well into the film as well.

I'm not sure it's for everyone but I enjoyed Razorback

Gigantor 21st October 2010 07:01 AM

Yeah I liked RAZORBACK as well.WB is supposively releasing a decent DVD release of this some time soon.

wongfeihung62 21st October 2010 06:09 PM

Solomon Kane
Mulan (live action)
The Banquet - An enjoyable re-working of Hamlet.
Day of the Dead (original version)

Argentofan 21st October 2010 08:54 PM

Just watched Martyrs. It was really good up until there was like half hour left, then it got a bit samey. I liked to ending though.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st October 2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 109074)

Cheers Inspector.

re.form 21st October 2010 10:08 PM

Cat People (Original)
Brides of Dracula

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st October 2010 10:11 PM

The Social Network -- a remarkably enthralling and engrossing film that sucks you in despite the split time narrative and Justin Timberlake playing a guy who you just want to punch every time he opens his mouth! It proves that David Fincher is still one of the finest directors operating and there is more to Jesse Eisenberg than what we saw in Zombieland.

BioZombie 22nd October 2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 109296)
The Social Network -- a remarkably enthralling and engrossing film that sucks you in despite the split time narrative and Justin Timberlake playing a guy who you just want to punch every time he opens his mouth! It proves that David Fincher is still one of the finest directors operating and there is more to Jesse Eisenberg than what we saw in Zombieland.

Totally agree with you Nosferatu. I found the film really engaging anf often funny. I loved the speed that it moved while still not loosing the audience

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2010 12:26 PM

I was amazed at how Jesse Eisenberg actually managed to deliver his dialogue at such speed and with so much technical jargon -- that initial sequence when he is setting up the 'facesmash'[?] website is unbelievable.

BioZombie 22nd October 2010 12:33 PM

I heard that the David Fincher didnt think they would be able to fit the whole story into a 2hr film and keep all the fantastic dialouge, so he just got everyone to talks as fast as possilbe.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2010 12:51 PM

Ah, so that's why Jesse Eisenberg sounded hyperactive at times! I was amazed at the amount of information they packed into the film and the running time just flew by -- it seemed about an hour long which is always a good thing.

the blob 22nd October 2010 03:08 PM

I just don't think I can watch a film about anything to do with Facebook, despite David Fincher!

Revisited Bob Clark's Black Christmas last night for the first time in years. Still stands up as a great, very tense proto-slasher that was years ahead of it's time. Got to pick up the Blu-Ray sometime and see for myself how it looks.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2010 04:13 PM

That's the funny thing -- most of the film isn't about Facebook, but about the process of building a website, creating demand and how many toes you have to tread on in order to succeed. It has an extremely interesting central character in Mark Zuckerberg who is an absolutely fascinating individual.

mbv 22nd October 2010 10:10 PM

Just back from a screening of Island of Death..what a mental movie. Funny as hell but yet very disturbing. Have to admit that I enjoyed every sleazy minute of it.
Director did a Q & A with Calum too

Also got to watch Inferno Bluray the other day, blown away by this. Some scenes were crystal clear and although some scenes had some grain in it this is the best it's ever looked.

Human Centipede...Hate it when a movie is hyped up as the most disturbing movie of the year. Thought it was ok, the whole idea of it disgusted me and it's one of those movies you are watching and then you realise you have a face on like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle. Story wise there's not much to it really. The bad guy is up there with on screen mental sicko's though.

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd October 2010 12:01 AM

THE ZODIAC KILLER. This 1971 oddity is more fiction than fact. The film starts with a 40 minute red herring before the identity of the Zodiac is shown however it's a great red herring, ending in a scene with a crazed father threatening to saw his daughter in half because as he tells his ex-wife "she's half mine"! The film then goes completely barmy as we see the Zodiac at home worshipping strange Gods and himself, before he goes out and kills again and again and again. He also spends a lot of time looking after his pet rabbits. The best kill in the film is when he traps an old lady under the bonnet of her car then jumps up and down on the bonnet laughing his head off!

THE RITUAL OF DEATH. Brazilian madness featuring such delights as disembowelment by: claw hammer, smoke machine fan propeller, wheel of truck on which the smoke machine rests and a mind boggling strangulation in a bath full of water that causes the victims eyes to pop out and float to the top! The plot concerns some nonsense about Egyptian death cults, a stage play, demonic possession and indigenous Indians.

If all that wasn't enough it contains a sex scene in a bath which involves a real severed goats head:eek:

bdc 23rd October 2010 08:19 AM

Apparently the police did a stake out at (the few) local screenings of The Zodiac Killer in the hope he would show up to watch it. ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd October 2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 109495)
Apparently the police did a stake out at (the few) local screenings of The Zodiac Killer in the hope he would show up to watch it. ;)

That's really cool, were the police expecting him in full Zodiac costume so that they would be able to identify him.:lol:

bdc 23rd October 2010 11:04 AM

I think they were looking for suspicious characters... ;)

They did have a description of him by that time it seems.

mercury 23rd October 2010 02:37 PM

Watched Phenomena on Horror channel last night. I liked it alot. The way that the paronormal, suspense and mystery elements blended so well. Just when I thought the film was ending rather flat. There is a killer finish:pound: I am liking Argento more with each film I see.

re.form 23rd October 2010 08:17 PM

Rashomon.

Sam 23rd October 2010 11:03 PM

The Initiation - loved it, delivered everything an 80's slasher should!