Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd July 2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 259299)
I always liked the 'The Firm', might try to score a copy now you've reminded me.
Alan Clarke did this amazing film called 'Stars Of The Roller State Disco' back in about 1984, I think. You can't get it anywhere, but apparently there's a clip on YOUTUBE with a bit of Wogan thrown in. I saw it at the BFI in the early noughties. It was a BBC drama, maybe a 'Play For Today', can't quite remember, but it's basically a dystopian vision of Thatcher's Britain (OK, Thatchland was a dystopia anyway, but you know what I mean) set in a roller rink / job centre (!) where unemployed youth are forced to skate mindlessly in circles until they get a job! Warped social-realist fantasy at its best! Wish someone would release it (come on, BFI!)

This looks amazing.Stars of the Roller State Disco & WOGAN intro - BBC1984 - YouTube

Frankie Teardrop 22nd July 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 259422)

"A life of skating and waiting"!
If I remember. the ending's really bleak - that dude with the specs cuts his wrists as he cycles round the rink, leaving a spiral of blood before he dies!

DryJack 22nd July 2012 11:56 PM

Watched Flesh and Blood. Definately more flesh than blood but great fun. Also watched the first episode of MPD Psycho. Enjoyed it without having a clue what it was all about but I heard you need to watch all the episodes for it to make sense. If I survive the experience with my sanity intact I'll let you know what I thought!

keirarts 23rd July 2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 259440)
Watched Flesh and Blood. Definately more flesh than blood but great fun. Also watched the first episode of MPD Psycho. Enjoyed it without having a clue what it was all about but I heard you need to watch all the episodes for it to make sense. If I survive the experience with my sanity intact I'll let you know what I thought!

MPD psycho still doesent make a whole lot of sense when you've watched everything, you will have the strange new world song stuck in your mind though.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd July 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 259386)
I've read several times that the dialogue is hard to hear in The Dark Knight Rises, is this true?

Like Stephen, I only found Bane a little hard to understand occasionally – mostly because his voice users the surround speakers as well –, but that's possibly because I was sitting right at the front, about four meters from the screen.

One of the reviews I've read said that he had problems with making out some of the dialogue but wasn't sure whether that was down to the equipment for the press screening. I plan to go to the IMAX in Bradford on Wednesday so will find out then if proximity to the speakers makes a difference.

Slippery Jack 23rd July 2012 08:19 AM

I think part of the Bane voice thing is simply that not seeing a mouth forming the words makes it less easy to understand. Reckon that's one of the reasons the studios get antsy about their superheroes (ie Spiderman) keeping their mask on - that and worry about not feeling the emotion if we can't see their eyes . . .

PaulD 23rd July 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259465)
I think part of the Bane voice thing is simply that not seeing a mouth forming the words makes it less easy to understand. Reckon that's one of the reasons the studios get antsy about their superheroes (ie Spiderman) keeping their mask on - that and worry about not feeling the emotion if we can't see their eyes . . .

Absolutely. Once you get used to it it's quite easy to tune your ear into his voice.

I watched The Howling Reborn last night. Better than I anticipated but mush worse than it should have been really. Nice use of practical effects but overall just very forgettable.

wonderlust 23rd July 2012 09:24 AM

Where The Dead Go To Die

Demoncrat 23rd July 2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 258993)
The Dark Knight Rises. The poorest of the trilogy in my opinion but not by much. Catwoman didn't really need to be in it (And Anne Hathaway is nearly as cool as Pheifer) and there's one contrivance at the end that sent my blood boiling. But over all a satifactory conclusion to the best super hero series of all time.

She's the only reason i'l be watching this. :nod:

Demoncrat 23rd July 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderlust (Post 259470)
Where The Dead Go To Die

Right, I insist you tell me what you thought of this bizarre animated tale, PM me if you have to!! Bad or Good, just tell me...;)