Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 318828)
Well worth a watch and for such amazing musicians they are so down to earth people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318830)
Yeah, that's how I feel about Maiden.

True, but a band ruled with a rod of iron (ahem) by Steve Harris and Rod Smallwood.

Nordicdusk 3rd February 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318830)
Yeah, that's how I feel about Maiden. Incedently, we sometimes "play" Spirit of Radio at gigs, I use the term play very loosely :lol:

Yeah i agree about Maiden in interviews it seems like they are just a few lads in a band not the biggest metal band of all time.

Rik 3rd February 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 318832)
True, but a band ruled with a rod of iron (ahem) by Steve Harris and Rod Smallwood.

True :lol:

JoshuaKaitlyn 3rd February 2013 09:46 PM

Schloß Vogelöd (1921)
The Sheik (1921)
The Sawmill (1921)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post318839

nekromantik 3rd February 2013 10:21 PM

Yes Livid is highly recommended!
The "doll girl" scene is very creepy! If you seen it you will know what I mean! :lol

I watched Tower Block tonight, average Brit flick about a bunch of council flat tenants who wont leave a tower block of flats that are going to be demolished. A sniper then starts to shoot people through windows and rest of the movie is the people trying to get out. I wont spoil the reason for the sniper for those who want to see it. Its not great but had a interesting story that could have been done better. I did enjoy the 80 mins of it but I doubt many people will. Main strength lies in Jack O'Connell's acting, as always he is brilliant! He is one of the best young Brit actors out there. Main issue is the typecasting he gets with most roles playing a similar "thug" character! Let him shine in a different kind of role I say.

Baseball Fury 3rd February 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318824)

Wish they'd do one for In Utero because I wanna know how the Hell they got the drums to sound so Goddamn awesome!

Overhead mics, mic both sides of the kick with stereo mics and double mic the snare. Add ambient mics "audience" side and wah lah! That's how he set up David Lovering on Surfer Rosa and Grohl on on In Utero.

You need a drummer who can hit solid and HARD though!

There's a whole bunch of diagrams and stuff kicking round online about Albini's setups, especially since he built his own studio.

Rik 4th February 2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 318849)
Overhead mics, mic both sides of the kick with stereo mics and double mic the snare. Add ambient mics "audience" side and wah lah! That's how he set up David Lovering on Surfer Rosa and Grohl on on In Utero.

You need a drummer who can hit solid and HARD though!

There's a whole bunch of diagrams and stuff kicking round online about Albini's setups, especially since he built his own studio.

Last time I looked it up online I read they had something like 30 mics on the kit! I usually use 7 or 8 depending on the size of the kit, but I've managed to make a crappy kit sound good using 3 mics, one of which I made myself from an old speaker, Pro Tools is good for turd polishing :lol:

ArgentoFan1987 4th February 2013 04:25 AM

Just finished watching Surf Nazis Must Die after a third attempt. It's one of the worst films I've seen in a LONG time and not even in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way, it's just ****ing terrible! Nothing happens until the past fifteen minutes and even then it's just a bunch of terrible acting and bad action scene.

Susan Foreman 4th February 2013 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318855)
Last time I looked it up online I read they had something like 30 mics on the kit! I usually use 7 or 8 depending on the size of the kit, but I've managed to make a crappy kit sound good using 3 mics, one of which I made myself from an old speaker, Pro Tools is good for turd polishing :lol:

How many mics do you think Mooney would have used on this kit?

PaulD 4th February 2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 318824)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...1dEi1yWS0EKJwg

Wish they'd do one for In Utero because I wanna know how the Hell they got the drums to sound so Goddamn awesome!

Steve Albini is incredible. The albums he engineers always have an excellent sound.