Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mercury 18th November 2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 113064)
Awwww you poor man. Do you need some councilling now after your horrendous ordeal? :tongue1: ;)

No it just made me appreciate good horror films alot more. Plus, it's not the worst film I've ever seen:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 113083)
needs councilling in to understand why he watched it in the 1st place...i keep taaking mickey out a bloke at work because he went pics on his own to watch it i keep saying ill watch a real film you stick to your girly sh@te

Maybe I do need counselling, hey I like Mean Girls, She's all That and Ten things I hate about you. These are all girly films:eek:
Twilight is basically a romance, with vampires and werewolves added. And lets be honest. Everybody loves a good romance:woot: Except Mary Whitehouse, who probably tried to ban them:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 113085)
I'm really one to talk, especially with my well known love of Grease 2 and any Amanda Bynes movie! :lol:

I like Amanda Bynes:blush: You seen Big Fat Liar? It's a great film, very funny.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 113108)
I'm yet to see a Twilight movie. Am I missing out?

NO! Stay away, stay well away. I saw the second one at the cinema and thought it was one of the first movies I have ever paid to see along with Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Judge Dredd and Elizabethtown.

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th November 2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 113164)
I like Amanda Bynes:blush: You seen Big Fat Liar? It's a great film, very funny.

Yeah I've seen that one too. One of the few that I don't own......must rectify that. :D

Pete 18th November 2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 113169)
Yeah I've seen that one too. One of the few that I don't own......must rectify that. :D

What's the one where she goes to London to meet her dad for the first time?

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th November 2010 09:53 PM

What films have you seen recently?

That's What A Girl Wants :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete 18th November 2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 113179)
That's What A Girl Wants :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

Thanks, that's the only film I've seen with her in. It was alright I guess, very predicatable.

pedromonkey 18th November 2010 10:56 PM

hmmm....amanda bynes films i have seen....

Sydney White
What a Girl Wants
Big fat Liar
She's The Man
Hairspray
Love Wrecked

im slightly sad

DeadAlive 19th November 2010 05:04 AM

Meteor.
Deep Red. (Profondo Rosso)
Kamui - The Lone Ninja.
When A Stranger Calls. (1979)

pedromonkey 19th November 2010 10:45 PM

Watched the final dirty Harry film last night, The Dead Pool, what a shift in tone from the previous films, just another average 80s cop thriller IMHO with only Eastwood, Patricia Clarkson and Liam Neeson who saved the film from mediocrity with a stupid plot, a stereo typed chinese detective who surprise surprise knows kung fu, none of the grit of the previous films and a stupid pointless villain. Not a good film. The Remote control car was good though. Im changing Eastwoods character in Gran Torino to Harry Callahan because that film was more of Dirty Harry film than the Dead Pool. Very disapointing...

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 113391)
Watched the final dirty Harry film last night, The Dead Pool, what a shift in tone from the previous films, just another average 80s cop thriller IMHO with only Eastwood, Patricia Clarkson and Liam Neeson who saved the film from mediocrity with a stupid plot, a stereo typed chinese detective who surprise surprise knows kung fu, none of the grit of the previous films and a stupid pointless villain. Not a good film. The Remote control car was good though. Im changing Eastwoods character in Gran Torino to Harry Callahan because that film was more of Dirty Harry film than the Dead Pool. Very disapointing...

I like The Dead Pool. Not a patch on Dirty Harry,Magnum Force or Sudden Impact of course, but an enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. And although Gran Torino was a great Film, It would have been nice if the inital rumours about the plot of the film, Harry Callahan coming out of retirement to hunt down the Gran Torino driving serial killer of his policeman son, had turned out to be true.

the blob 19th November 2010 11:01 PM

I can't remember one thing about the Dead Pool, other than his name is on a hit list.. probably an indication of how much I liked it, haha...

I have fond memories of Sudden Impact, having had to watch it about 10 times while I was working at the cinema. Think I was like 13 or 14 at the time so didn't mind at all getting to watch the new Dirty Harry movie. The Dirty Harry rape and revenge flick.

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 113394)
I can't remember one thing about the Dead Pool, other than his name is on a hit list.. probably an indication of how much I liked it, haha...

I have fond memories of Sudden Impact, having had to watch it about 10 times while I was working at the cinema. Think I was like 13 or 14 at the time so didn't mind at all getting to watch the new Dirty Harry movie. The Dirty Harry rape and revenge flick.

There was actually a time, a few years back now (in the 90's I think), that it was said that because of the violence towards women in the film, Sudden Impact would never be shown on TV again! How mad is that?

the blob 19th November 2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 113396)
There was actuallly a time, a few years back now (n the 90's I thiink), that it was said that because of the violence towards women in the film, Sudden Impact would never be shown on TV again! How mad is that?

The local ABC cinema manager would have probably been strung up if they knew he had me working during it at that age. :lol:

That was about it other than sitting in a nearly empty screen with a Pia Zadora movie for a week..

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 113397)
That was about it other than sitting in a nearly empty screen with a Pia Zadora movie for a week..

:lol: Just like me sitting in the cinema watching Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead all by my lonesome!

broonage 19th November 2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 113391)

Jim Carrey is priceless in this film!

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th November 2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 113400)
Jim Carrey is priceless in this film!

Haha he sure is, lip syncing to Welcome To The Jungle and high as a kite!

James Morton 19th November 2010 11:41 PM

i thought liam neeson was terrible in the dead pool
with that crap english/cockney/whatever accent calling everyone 'love'
the yanks cannot write good stuff regarding the english sometimes
they just stereotype them as speaking shit like neeson did
of course he's not the only one!

pedromonkey 20th November 2010 12:11 AM

i enjoy liam neeson in almost everything and this was no exception, but like most american films if a film is being made, why is the director always english?

for me it just wasn't a dirty harry film, there was non of the grit and raw violence from the previous film, i liked Sudden Impact but not as much as the first three but even that had a very dark tone to it, the Dead Pool seemed very rushed and just didn't sit well with the others. Gran Torino apparently started out as a script for the last ever Dirty Harry Film but was changed. Gran Torino is a cracking film and one of Clint's finest performances of the last 10 years..

re.form 20th November 2010 12:28 AM

A boy and his dog.

A post-apocalyptic tale starring a really young Don Johnson and a telepathic dog.

This is the reason why I watch films. Every now and again, through all the crap you watch, you find a movie that you know you you will love to it's low budget bones forever.

A+ awesome.

pedromonkey 20th November 2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 113406)
This is the reason why I watch films. Every now and again, through all the crap you watch, you find a movie that you know you you will love to it's low budget bones forever.

couldn't agree more...

James Morton 20th November 2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 113404)
i enjoy liam neeson in almost everything and this was no exception, but like most american films if a film is being made, why is the director always english?

for me it just wasn't a dirty harry film, there was non of the grit and raw violence from the previous film, i liked Sudden Impact but not as much as the first three but even that had a very dark tone to it, the Dead Pool seemed very rushed and just didn't sit well with the others. Gran Torino apparently started out as a script for the last ever Dirty Harry Film but was changed. Gran Torino is a cracking film and one of Clint's finest performances of the last 10 years..

i agree about it not being a real dirty harry film
my faves are dirty harry, magnum force and sudden impact
the latter i liked a lot

snapon 20th November 2010 07:17 AM

watched the legend of boggy creek 1972,on youtube, this for me is a great film.first watched i was about 10 or 11,and love the end theme.

bdc 20th November 2010 08:21 AM

A Boy and his Dog is a great film,wish they had made a sequel with more adventures of these two.
Legend of Boggy Creek is another classic movie.

wayfarer 20th November 2010 09:42 AM

I finally got around to watching Eden Lake last night. A clever low budget horror that had a genuine sense of pervading dread throughout without resorting to shock imagery to gain it's interest. The structure of the movie was fairly formulaic for survival horror but presented in a slightly different way by using "ordinary" youths as the protaganists. Definitely an anti-chav movie:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th November 2010 12:26 PM

Over recent days I have watched numerous films including:
Metropolis, which is such a brilliant piece of science fiction and even better with all of the lost footage (or at least the stuff that was fit to include),
Dougal and the Blue Cat which is just as fantastic as Mark Kermode makes it out to be and I watched it two times in as many days,
Peeping Tom which is a masterpiece of psychological terror and, last but not least,
The Evil Dead BD which looks absolutely stunning, particularly in the correct aspect ratio (1.33:1) and is one of those horror films that continues to work, year after year.

gag 20th November 2010 01:10 PM

Just finished watching torso
To be honest it slightly bored me i was tempted several times to turn it off

mercury 20th November 2010 01:41 PM

Watched Law Abiding Citizen last night. I really enjoyed this film and found the plot very interesting and intense as it unravelled. Well I thought this until the last 2 minutes of the film. I don't like to post spoilers; so all I will say is that to me the good guy didn't win, and justice wasn't served. Apart from that it was one of the best films I have seen this year:nod: If only there was alternitave ending:(

Make Them Die Slowly 20th November 2010 08:57 PM

FRANKENSTEIN 90: utter bollocks.

SANTO IN THE WAX MUSEUM: homoerotic mayhem from south of the border featuring tight tights, loads of wrestling and a plot about a mad scientist creating his own race of ugly people. Lots of fun.

SCORE: if you've ever had the fantasy of what it would be like to bugger and be buggered by Lynn Lowry, then look no further than this witty and stylish film. Lynn plays a straight laced good girl, married to a straight laced fellow with a secret desire. Ensnared by a couple of bi-sexual swingers, Lynn and her hubby soon come to realise that there is more to life than the weekly game of bowling...

Lowry is excellent as the good girl who soon discovers the joys of girl on girl S&M that culminates in a scene involving Lowry, a dog collar and lead, a strap-on, and warped mirrors that distort the whole scene into another dimension. Very little is actually seen in the lesbian scenes, where as the scenes involving Lowry's husband and the male swinger are full on XXX. Don't let that put you off if you have trouble with gay sex, the film is full of wit and intelligence and has a feel good factor running through it that makes it a joy to watch.

bdc 20th November 2010 09:23 PM

Thanks for the review of Score,must get that one.
I guess I should go for the uncensored one? ;)
Or are the xxx scenes inserts?

I love Santo in the Wax Museum btw!

Pete 20th November 2010 10:00 PM

RICCO THE MEAN MACHINE - Great film, with one of the most grusome scenes of castration ever!.:eek:

Make Them Die Slowly 21st November 2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 113533)
Thanks for the review of Score,must get that one.
I guess I should go for the uncensored one? ;)
Or are the xxx scenes inserts?

I love Santo in the Wax Museum btw!

Hello bdc, the two male leads do all their own sex scenes with no inserts added for the XXX bits. There is an excellent 20 minute interview with Lowry on this Cult Epics release along with a 20 minutes behind the scenes feature and a commentary by director Radley Metzger. It's also out on Blu-Ray.:)

DeadAlive 21st November 2010 06:56 AM

Jason Lives! - Friday The 13th Part VI.
The Karate Kid. (2010)
Dragons Forever.

nekromantik 21st November 2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 113427)
I finally got around to watching Eden Lake last night. A clever low budget horror that had a genuine sense of pervading dread throughout without resorting to shock imagery to gain it's interest. The structure of the movie was fairly formulaic for survival horror but presented in a slightly different way by using "ordinary" youths as the protaganists. Definitely an anti-chav movie:lol:

Yeah I thought it was one of the best UK horror's since 28 days.
His next film looks very interesting and is from the new Hammer films too.

The acting was good and the tension was right up there through out the second half of the film. It also made you question your morales when the lad got killed. Overall it was a good movie.

BioZombie 22nd November 2010 04:46 PM

I re-watched George Romero's Knightriders again last night. It was as fantastic as the first time I watched it. It's got such a great amosphere, and the story has so many well thought out sub plots. My favourite part of all, however, is the ending when Ed Harris kick ass on the idiot cop. I still think this could possibly be my favourite film of all time, and it has Tom Savini, Ken Foree and Scott Reiniger (sp) in it too!!!!!!!!

Best jousters on motorbikes film ever. :rockon:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd November 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 113745)
Best jousters on motorbikes film ever. :rockon:

That's a bit like Paul Ross describing Alien Resurrection as having "the best underwater scene in outer space Ever!" (I won't pretend that that is word for word what he wrote that it is close enough.)

Sargento 22nd November 2010 07:01 PM

Had a craving for some retro 80s comedy so watched:

Kuffs

Great script and great part for Slater.

:cool:

pedromonkey 22nd November 2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 113771)
Had a craving for some retro 80s comedy so watched:

Kuffs

Great script and great part for Slater.

:cool:

Kuffs was 1992, good film though.

Sargento 22nd November 2010 08:23 PM

Was it really 92?? OK my bad!

:o

pedromonkey 22nd November 2010 08:25 PM

sorry sarg, that was bit rude of me. Kuffs was a great fun film with a young Milla Jovovich to boot.

Sargento 22nd November 2010 08:34 PM

Just checking out your Youtube page Pedro .. well interesting for us fanboys!

The unpackaging is just like Xmas for us!!

:clap::dance: