Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 18th January 2013 11:25 PM

Just watched the first episode of American Horror Story series one.

Ranarchy 18th January 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 313875)
Just watched the first episode of American Horror Story series one.

Yeah I finally saw season one too. A buddy of mine had the DVDs so we've watched it periodically.....

Nordicdusk 18th January 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranarchy (Post 313876)
Yeah I finally saw season one too. A buddy of mine had the DVDs so we've watched it periodically.....

I enjoyed the first episode how it the rest.

Gojirosan 19th January 2013 12:18 AM

Absentia - 2011 USA d: Mike Flanagan

Damn near brilliant monster mystery reminiscent of the works of Ramsey Campbell. Genuinely unsettling in atmosphere and with a wonderful cast. It's open to interpretation (unreliable narrator?) or reads as a straight horror tale; the script is very fine indeed (the occasional clunky dialogue aside). Shot on a DSLR, it has that "Home Movie Realism" look, but here it suits the piece rather than distracts, and this is accompanied by a wonderful enveloping soundtrack of drones and chirps and swooshes and a superb minimalist score which is simply perfect for the film.

The tone and subject were right up my alley (tunnel?) and I was astounded by how good I found this to be. I recommend this a lot. One of the best horror films of the last few years.

Vampix 19th January 2013 12:28 AM

Zombieland (2009)
I saw this via Netflix and thought it was fairly enjoyable.Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray were probably the best things about it.

gag 19th January 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 313754)
The film is based on a book written by the mother of a Spanish family who are depicted by the actors in the film, perhaps a British family speaking English is more marketable than a Spanish family.

In any case, the reason there is no build up or explanation is because the family didn't experience one – there was just a whoosh of wind and then a wall of water came inland at great speed, wreaking destruction as it went. It's true 300,000 people died and many more survived (most of the extras were played by survivors of the tsunami) but they chose that book which is one family's perspective of the events of December 24, 2004 and the events they experienced before flying out.

I don't think any film could show the events of the tsunami from the earthquake which triggered it to the cleaning up process and rebuilding the infrastructure of Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and every other affected country.

Either way its a good film and worth watching and sad because the fact it was true..Not just the way the film was made , made you cry etc but just the fact that a trragedy like that happened is sad alone,

Justin101 19th January 2013 08:41 AM

http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...g?k=37cbbf199f

I watched Lawless last night, while not a perfect film, the pacing sags a little in the middle, it's certainly an accomplished film. The acting is great, the photography is great, the soundtrack - by Nick Cave is unsurprisingly brilliant. I'm not the biggest Shia LaBeouf fan, in fact I find him pretty irritating most of the time, but he pulls this one off. Hardy is always good, but it's hard to see him without thinking of Bane, I don't think the muffled speech in Lawless helps break away from that image either. Guy Pearce gets a special note though, he plays what seems effortlessly, one of the vilest characters I've seen in a film for a long time, even just standing in the frame without speaking you can feel your skin cringe - bleugh!

Good movie though 4 out of 5.

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 09:44 AM

My name is Richard, and I haven't watched a single film in three weeks :(

Does anyone want to do some of my work for me . . . ?

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 313918)
Hardy is always good, but it's hard to see him without thinking of Bane

Really? I find him quite versatile - Bane, Bronson, Bill Sykes, Heathcliffe, that lowlife scum fella in WAZ, good variety of performances there (or variations on intense and moody folk :lol:). Bronson is still his clear standout role for me . . .

Demoncrat 19th January 2013 10:39 AM

World Without End (Edward Berns, 1956) had this in the house for a while, finally took the plunge after the rather strange John Dies At The End (more of which later).

Contains spoilers.

This slice of heterosexual propaganda thinly disguised as sci fi hokum starts with the apocalpyse, then trundles along til they get sucked into a brightly coloured snowstorm (or at least the model spaceship does haha) which shoots them into the future, where they come across BIG spiders (hmmmm) and one eyed cavemen. Surprise surprise, these are the remnants of the human race after "the great blow" (their phrase). They also meet some airy fairy types (lets call them the middle class) who witter on about "peace" which sickens the Yanks as they only know one solution to any problem (it isn't TM:laugh:)

Haven't laughed as much since A Touch of Cloth. Decent enough print made up for the creaking sexual politics. Rod Taylor's sixpack needed more oil I felt though (the DP certainly did) Ha-rumph.

AAAnyway......
John Dies At The End (2012, Don Coscarelli)
Now I'l watch anything this man does (and have) and from the oblique opening to the rather cheeky ending, I approved of this oddball tale of two losers who learn that "drugs are baaad" the hard way. This was worth the wait after seeing the trailer a while back. Featuring some unusual (old school) effects which added to my enjoyment, I recommend this anyone who likes a laugh and hates bland generic cinema imo.

Oh, and we watched Dredd again. Every time he pouts I get a flashback to when I used to read 2000AD as a lad, but still stand by my "sluggish" assessment.;)