Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

re.form 8th May 2011 08:51 PM

Clive Barker's Dread. Which was surprisingly good, especially after the pretty crappy Book of Blood.

Also had me a re-watch of Fright. Which always gets better.

robertzombie 8th May 2011 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Horror exam revision! :D

Sam 8th May 2011 10:34 PM

Just finished watching One Dark Night, under the title of Entity Force. Whilst it had a good set-up and some interesting characters, it took an age to get going and when it did, it was all a bit underwhelming. The zombies looked pretty good but unless I was mistaken, they didn't actually do anything, just move very .... very .... slowly towards their 'victims'. Still worth a look if you have a soft spot for 80s horrors (as I do). The 23rd Century edition I have is the usual VHS-transfer you'd expect but it's fairly watchable.

nekromantik 8th May 2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149109)
I thought the ending left the door wide open for a sequel but didn't know they'd made one. I hope it doesn't just follow the exact same formula albeit with a different 'obstacle' him to overcome was going about his torture/murder/collecting business and introduces something a bit new, a little like Saw 2 did. However, being formulaic didn't seem to hurt the Friday the 13th franchise in terms of commercial success, did it?!

there were talks of a prequel but not sure what the sequel will be about.
Same director is all I know. Not much news atm

just seen the german 2004 flick Tears of Kali
its in 4 parts so 4 related stories. It was a good effort for first time director but I just dont know what to make of it tbh.
Had some good gore scenes though

Beyond72 9th May 2011 10:16 AM

The Hidden

Demoncrat 9th May 2011 11:38 AM

did i review these before??

BLOODSUCKING FREAKS still an unpleasant film, remake this mr bay!! (sarcasm)...the lovely print made it look like a comedy in parts but would make a great double bill with The Sinful Dwarf methinks...and its still the best film that J Waters never made 10/10

WAR OF THE PLANETS the dialogue! the clumsy plotting! the "love interest" who looks bored! the monster! harumph. 6/10 for film, 8/10 for experience

FUNNYMAN the memory of this nearly put me off, glad i didnt though as twas a hoot, C Lee still wasted in role though...7/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched Wild Things last night.
First time i'd seen it since its cinema release, still a good twisty turny thriller, with a great cast.

Baseball Fury 9th May 2011 02:06 PM

I watched The Hillside Strangler last night, sky +'d off the horror channel. I thought it was ok, Nick Turturro puts in a great performance, C Thomas Howell was also quite good. well worth a watch, not as a historical account though, definitely more exploitation flick than biopic

DryJack 9th May 2011 02:16 PM

I watched A history of violence last night. Not usually something I'd go for but a mate insisted I watch it. I found it totally absorbing from the start and really enjoyed it.

Argentofan 9th May 2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 149234)
First time i'd seen it since its cinema release, still a good twisty turny thriller, with a great cast.

Neve Campbell and Kevin Bacon? Ordered.

antmumford 9th May 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 149253)
I watched A history of violence last night. Not usually something I'd go for but a mate insisted I watch it. I found it totally absorbing from the start and really enjoyed it.

I loved A History of Violence, really was an engrossing film. Viggo is just too cool in it. Reminds me, I must pick it up on Blu-ray at some point.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 149264)
Neve Campbell and Kevin Bacon? Ordered.

It's a shame Neve Campbell had that 'no nudity' clause in her contract. However, Denise Richards more than makes up for that and is clearly an actress who doesn't mind doing her bit!

Pete 9th May 2011 03:44 PM

Watched Lamberto Bava's MIDNIGHT RIPPER last night and it was pretty good and for once I got the killer's identity right (I doubts because it seemed too silly - but no I was right!)

PaulD 9th May 2011 04:43 PM

Just watched A Bay of Blood for the 2nd time this month, this time with the Tim Lucas commentary on. Great track, really informative.

gag 9th May 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 149253)

AHOV. Highly enjoyed it but felt it could have been a bit longer and it ended bit to quick ,

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 149234)

Has anyone seen any of the straight to dvd sequels?

Are they any good?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 07:07 PM

I've just finished watching Humanoids from the Deep for the first time in years courtesy of Shout Factory's fantastic Blu-Ray.

I'd forgotten what a fun, trashy film this is - HIGHLY recommended! :thumb:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 07:16 PM

I don't believe Humanoids from the Deep was ever intended to be taken seriously which is why it is so much fun. I have yet to go through the extra features on the disc, but it certainly needs another watch along with the other BDs in the Roger Corman Cult Collection I own.

I've just finished a triple bill of Bloody Moon, Anthropophagus and Death Smiled at Murder so I'm wondering what to put on next.

bdc 9th May 2011 07:26 PM

Ooh...love Death Smiled at Murder!:nod:

Argentofan 9th May 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149268)
It's a shame Neve Campbell had that 'no nudity' clause in her contract. However, Denise Richards more than makes up for that and is clearly an actress who doesn't mind doing her bit!

That is a shame about the no nudity clause! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 149339)
Ooh...love Death Smiled at Murder!:nod:

I've had this for ages but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to watch it soon! Bought it for Ewa Aulin.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149333)
I don't believe Humanoids from the Deep was ever intended to be taken seriously which is why it is so much fun. I have yet to go through the extra features on the disc, but it certainly needs another watch along with the other BDs in the Roger Corman Cult Collection I own.

There's a few of the Corman Blus I still want to pick up - Piranha and Star Crash immediately spring to mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149333)
I've just finished a triple bill of Bloody Moon, Anthropophagus and Death Smiled at Murder so I'm wondering what to put on next.

On an Italian* horror trip eh, Nos? ;)

What did you think of the above films, by the way? Even though they're trashy (a make no claim to be anything but), I have huge affection for Bloody Moon (a very decent slasher, and one of Franco's best films in my opinion) and Anthropophagus (a bit cheesy, but still lots of fun)

As for Death Smiled at Murder, it may be a slow-burner but I really like it; very under-rated in my opinion! :nod:

How about a dose of Italian post-apocalyptic or a spag western next to round off your Italian viewing spree nicely?

*Well, Bloody Moon is an Italian/Spanish co-production... ;)

EDIT: I think I read somewhere that Bloody Moon may have even been shot in Germany... anyway you've had a semi-Italian viewing spree! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:33 PM

I pretty much agree with your assessment of each film. Bloody Moon would be a great film for Shameless to release, Anthropophagus is so weird because it is an Italian film set in Greece but quite obviously filmed in Germany with an Italian cast!

Death Smiled at Murder, on the other hand, is deliberately paced and with a plot that almost could have been made by Hammer in the same period. It's also one of those films I feel as if I need to watch again even though I know the ending.

I'm watching House on the Edge of the Park at the moment to complete the evening.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:40 PM

Ah, a nice dose of sleaze to end the proceedings then I see! :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 149363)
Ah, a nice dose of sleaze to end the proceedings then I see! :D

Yup, a fairly sleazy evening. I really don't know how much, if any, trouble House on the Edge of the Park will have at the BBFC as I don't think it's much worse than Last House on the Left apart from the scene with Cindy and the razor blade. However, that scene is so tough there is no way it could be construed as sexualised violence so can't be classified as such.

That's for another thread, so I'll leave it there.

gag 9th May 2011 11:32 PM

Started to watch

Jason and the minatour that was on skyfy.. totaly terrible turned off half way through...Then started watching a film called Haunted changi ...Completely and utterly boring as hell gr8 for insomniacs to help then fall asleep...so know watching Master of horror series 2

Kyle 10th May 2011 12:19 AM

watched trick or treat and the savage intruder

nekromantik 10th May 2011 01:13 AM

I watched Exorcismus tonight and my god was it bad!!!
Script was really really crap and it turned into a comedy 2nd half cause the "demon" voice sounded like a old man who was constipated. :lol:
Acting was pretty bad too.

Then I watched the violent kind which was much better had really cool story and some good gore in scenes. at the end tho it turns into scifi ish type movie and not possesion like it made u think so some people may hate it. Enjoyed it though.

Demoncrat 10th May 2011 10:14 AM

Piranha (new)...wow join the dots film making or what? utter bereft of merit. though it has the best "last line before i die" EVER harumph.

THE BLOOD OF FU MANCHU wow wasnt this on ITV once? it all came rushing back to me whence it had started, cant wait for Castle...:nod:

Beyond72 10th May 2011 06:41 PM

From dusk till dawn

Don't torture a duckling

James Morton 10th May 2011 07:47 PM

What films have you seen recently?

I've seen DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR but didn't enjoy them due to the overkill of jump cuts, missing frames, scratches etc, especially PLANET TERROR
Yes I know of course they were meant to be shown this way, but its overdone and ruined it for me. not surprisingly they failed at the box office

PaulD 10th May 2011 09:25 PM

Watching Day of the Dead.

Been having a bit of an Arrow and Shameless fest of late.

pedromonkey 10th May 2011 09:37 PM

just finished watching Fire Down Below, Steven Seagal as an enviromental protection Agent with the worst choice in jackets trying to stop Kris Kristophison
from dumping chemical waste in the mountains. Entertaining Seagal fare but the ending went on to long. Enjoyable enough though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 09:45 PM

Watched Walker's Man of Violence tonight - a neat little crime thriller with some decent performances, peppered with some tongue in cheek dialogue.

Th BFI Blu was pretty decent, despite some minor audio issues (the PCM Mono track is fairly quiet at times) - definitely recommended for fans of Walker and/or British crime thrillers.

Kyle 10th May 2011 11:00 PM

just watched severed ties - great film

DryJack 10th May 2011 11:10 PM

Just watched Bloodletting. I love this movie. Not everyones' cup of tea but I think it's got some great dialogue and the humour is as dark as gets.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 07:23 AM

Another strange triple bill last night of Mausoleum, Cold Eyes of Fear and Undead. The first two are really hit and miss with very questionable AV quality, but I quite like Undead are some of the black humour works extremely well -- how many films will feature a pair of zombie legs walking around with half the spine protruding from the top?!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 07:30 AM

Nice trio of films Nos.

Mausoleum is pretty bad, but that doesn't stop me from liking it! If you can withstand the cheese this one can be quite fun.

As for Cold Eyes of Fear, I really like this, a decent Italian crime thriller teetering on the edge of the gialli at times. By no means a favourite of the genre, but one I can certainly re-watch and still enjoy.

Undead is quite fun, but is lacking something that makes similar zom-coms like Brain Dead and The Return of the Living Dead the fantastic films that they are.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 07:50 AM

I think my problem with Mausoleum is it was clearly one of the many Exorcist-rip-offs in which someone is possessed by a Demon in a way that just isn't frightening as it was in Friedkin's masterpiece.

I agree with what you said about The Cold Eyes of Fear, but there was an unfortunate hiss on the disc that came and went throughout the film and was quite distracting.

As for Undead, it has many moments which work really well but it doesn't hold together as a complete film and isn't consistently scary and funny in the same way that the truly brilliant horror-comedies such as Shaun of the Dead, An American Werewolf in London and Braindead are.

Avanbeek 11th May 2011 09:12 AM

Caught I Saw the Devil on Blu-ray at the weekend - absolutely incredible film. In many films it feels like a giallo filtered through the traditional Korean 'cinema of vengeance'. Excellent stuff.

Demoncrat 11th May 2011 10:24 AM

Dead & Buried with 2nd commentary (uk version)...still a joy to behold, and a very imformative com as well, "welcome to Potter's Bluff" aye, youre welcome to it aw right....
Castle of Fu Manchu...michty!! why we cant have this on t'telly instead of the same 19 fims repeated ad nauseam??