Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Metallicbomb 21st February 2013 11:06 PM

After The Haunting
I just watched Ghost Story (1974)
A very underated British mystery horror film
Would recommend this little gem to fans of classic British horror:).

Delirium 22nd February 2013 12:41 AM

Margaret

Found this quite an affecting piece, and maybe due to the fact I've been in a fragile state of mind, it got to me. Directed by playwright Kenneth Lonergan (You Can Count On Me), Margaret suffered numerous production problems and edits before the studio brought in various producers and directors such as Martin Scorsese and Sydney Pollack to edit it down, although Lonergan approved the final cut. As it stands the 2.5h release I saw still holds a hefty running time (there's apparently a 3 hour 'extended' cut too), but I was invested enough in the characters for that to not matter. Anna Paquin is quite extraordinary as sassy teen, Lisa, who finds herself inadvertently causing a bus accident that kills a woman; the guilt of which sends her on a path of emotional destruction that also takes its toll on those who are close to her, particularly her mother (played by J. Smith-Cameron). It's an emotionally wrought, yet understated picture that avoids the usual contrivances with some naturalistic performances that at times feel on the verge of improv, as Lisa's own adolescent processing clashes with the world weary, established despondency of her elders, all of whom harbor and repress their own internal turmoils. And while this is Paquin and Smith-Cameron's film, there is some fine support from Mark Ruffalo, Matt Damon, Jean Reno and Matthew Broderick (who also aided with funding to get the film out), among others. The film's a tad baggy, but it's the moments of quiet brilliance, honesty and subtle pinches of humour that make it. And as said, emotionally affecting without resorting to histrionics and overwrought melodrama. It's certainly stuck with me.

nekromantik 22nd February 2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 323249)
Just watched The Haunting
Classic British horror at its best:clap:.

Cant wait for the US blu of Haunting!
Dont own the dvd but thought I would wait for a BLU.

Hawkmonger 22nd February 2013 10:02 AM

Willow (1988) - Thought it was a bit pants but enjoyable enough, there a blatent Star wars rip's here and there mind.

Jaws 5: Cruel Jaws (1995) - Utter Piffle. :behindsofa:

Rik 22nd February 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 323305)
Willow (1988) - Thought it was a bit pants but enjoyable enough, there a blatent Star wars rip's here and there mind.

:

I can't wait for the blu of this next month, saw it at the cinema and loved it, have it on VHS somewhere but never bought it on DVD for some reason

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 323307)
I can't wait for the blu of this next month, saw it at the cinema and loved it, have it on VHS somewhere but never bought it on DVD for some reason

I haven't seen Willow since it was on TV when I was really young and can't remember what I thought of it then, so I'd need to see it again before deciding whether or not to buy it on DVD or BD.

trebor8273 22nd February 2013 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last nights viewings

Demoncrat 22nd February 2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 323249)
Just watched The Haunting
Classic British horror at its best:clap:.

British? Still....as you can probably guess, it's a favourite of mine cough cough.;)

Demoncrat 22nd February 2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 323158)
Ghosts of Mars is a guilty pleasure of mine...

Guilty? The more I see, the more I love it.....;)

Rik 22nd February 2013 02:53 PM

Been suffering with the flu for the passed two days, so what better film to watch this afternoon than John Carpenter's The Thing!
Rob Bottin's FX work on this are among my favourites, and the fact he was only 22 at the time make them even more impressive