Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 5th March 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 325692)
I saw Stoker at the cinema today and, because it was directed by Park Chan-wook, went in with really high expectations. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed as it makes some really uncomfortable viewing, but is gripping throughout thanks to some flashback/flashforwards storytelling and great performances by the three main leads (Mia Wasikowska, Matthew Goode and Nicole Kidman.

Although its Park's first English-language film, you wouldn't know it and it's as good as most of his Korean output; definitely want to catch in the cinemas if you can.

Really looking forward to this.

I noticed you'd seen Mama recently Nos, is it any good? Was going to go last night with the girlfriend but we pigged out on sushi and couldn't be bothered in the end. The reviews haven't been exactly
glowing either.

Beyond72 5th March 2013 03:20 PM

Wait a goddamn minute...PaulD & Rik you're not seriously saying ROTLD part 3 is better than the original!!!? :shocked:

Justin101 5th March 2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 325693)
OK, i'll give it a shot and prove myself wrong.:laugh:

I think you will like it - upon reading the reviews I feel you got the wrong impression from watching the trailer, it's more of a love triangle than incest rape :lol: girl (who is 18) fancies uncle, gets jealous that mum also fancies uncle!

PaulD 5th March 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 325701)
Wait a goddamn minute...PaulD & Rik you're not seriously saying ROTLD part 3 is better than the original!!!? :shocked:

I'm really not that big a fan of the original. It's ok but not deserving of its reputation at all as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for its cult status I'd only have ever watch it once as my rewatches were attempts to see what was so special about it.

The third one however is fantastic from start to finish.

Hawkmonger 5th March 2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 325702)
I think you will like it - upon reading the reviews I feel you got the wrong impression from watching the trailer, it's more of a love triangle than incest rape :lol: girl (who is 18) fancies uncle, gets jealous that mum also fancies uncle!

Well, after slogging through all the Twilight movies, I think I can handle anything. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th March 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 325694)
Really looking forward to this.

I noticed you'd seen Mama recently Nos, is it any good? Was going to go last night with the girlfriend but we pigged out on sushi and couldn't be bothered in the end. The reviews haven't been exactly
glowing either.

I don't think Mama quite lives up to the hype, but it's a very satisfying horror film with well orchestrated jumps (none of which feel 'cheap') and an engaging story. It'll be a really good date movie!

Beyond72 5th March 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 325705)
I'm really not that big a fan of the original. It's ok but not deserving of its reputation at all as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for its cult status I'd only have ever watch it once as my rewatches were attempts to see what was so special about it.

I thought the third was alright for what it is was, (cheap knock off) nothing more.
But I guess it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Slippery Jack 5th March 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 325705)
I'm really not that big a fan of the original.

Interesting. Maybe I'll check out number three then as a non-fan of the original . . .

Justin101 5th March 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 325706)
Well, after slogging through all the Twilight movies, I think I can handle anything. :lol:

I just watched Breaking Dawn Part 2 - just so I had closure on the whole saga - such a BAaaaaaaddd film, worst CGI I have seen in a modern film too - bloody awful, I'm glad it's all over lol.

Beyond72 5th March 2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 325710)
Interesting. Maybe I'll check out number three then as a non-fan of the original . . .

Oh gawd not another one! :loco:

It's enough to inspire a THE OFFICIAL "WHERE THE HELL IS...?" Thread.

:tongue1: