Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 29th January 2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317440)
Just started to watch dredd on blu ray

Everytime money false into Alex Garlands bank account a 2000AD fan starts masterbating. True story!:lol:

trebor8273 29th January 2013 05:09 PM

Do think everyone should buy dredd, with any luck if it makes enough we might make enough money for the two sequels the had planned if it did make enough money. Such a shame when a good movie like this does poorly while :censored: like twilight makes money!!

I know it being in 3d might of had something to do with it as a lot of people don't like it, with any luck if they do another movie they will put out both versions. Even though as I said its one of the best use of 3d in a movie I have seen.

PaulD 29th January 2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317449)
I know it being in 3d might of had something to do with it as a lot of people don't like it, with any luck if they do another movie they will put out both versions. Even though as I said its one of the best use of 3d in a movie I have seen.

The distribution of it was the main problem; there simply weren't enough non-3D screenings of it which is always going to put people off. I was so close to not seeing it due to my dislike for the format (which I don't think added anything to the film, slo-no scenes and all)

trebor8273 29th January 2013 05:17 PM

It's strange I'm not that keen on 3d on cinema but did get a 3d tv before Xmas, mainly because it was a good deal compared to other tvs I was looking at. But for some strange reason I find myself enjoying 3D more sitting at home, even though most movies the 3D is a complete waste of time, but a few are ok and I have the tv now so seems a bit silly not getting anything on 3d

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Last Winter (2006)

A team working to exploit the oil resources of Alaska find themselves succumbing to unknown fears amidst warnings that the Arctic tundra is thawing.

Wendigo director Larry Fessenden has pulled off another brilliant piece of man vs a supernatural force cinema. Much in the style of Wendigo, The Last Winter's evils are largely unseen, possibly not even real, just the disorientation as each team member as they succumb to unknown forces. Throughout the film Fessenden gives us the explanation that we are destroying our own planet and this is nature's way of fighting back.The films final scenes showing the spirits of long dead animals now back roaming the tundra's as the melting ice free's their fleshless corpses is extremely eerie and superbly executed. Its clear that Fessenden blames global warming and he backs up his arguments with filmed proof throughout which may irritate non believers but to me its a small price to pay for a fascinating film. *

Again as with Wendigo, The Last Winter is a slow paced film, patience from the viewer is required but your time is suitably rewarded with breathtaking photography and brilliant performances from leads Ron Perlman, James Le Gros and Connie Britton. The Last Winter is a beautiful piece and extremely haunting, it's Arctic landscapes both vast and yet claustrophobic at the same time. The unknown threats unravelling the minds of the crew whilst slowly working its way under the skin of the viewer.

The Last Winter would have made a fine prequel to Carpenter's The Thing as it is everything last years CGI heavy debacle is not.

* Do i believe in the theories of global warming? To be truthful i'm not sure, there are valid points both for and against. But i know one thing. Something makes it piss down in Lancashire for forty nine weeks of the year

Slippery Jack 29th January 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 317468)
The unknown threats unravelling the minds of the crew whilst slowly working its way under the skin of the viewer.

Yup, worked brilliantly while it remained unknown. Shame about the dodgy CGI reveal at the end (actually, didn't Wendigo have a crappy monster reveal at the end as well?) . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 317473)
Yup, worked brilliantly while it remained unknown. Shame about the dodgy CGI reveal at the end (actually, didn't Wendigo have a crappy monster reveal at the end as well?) . . .

I didn't think the CGI was too bad, it was so quick you could miss it and they kinda looked liked spirits. Not that i've seen spirits but in my imagination.

Secondly yes, it looked a simillar creature in Wendigo.

Some stills will be posted on the Film Stills thread in around ten minutes. :)

bdc 29th January 2013 06:58 PM

Little Big Soldier (2009)

Enjoyable historical action adventure but luckily not a "serious historical drama".

It looks a bit drab the way they shot it and I was waiting for a pee joke or two (:loco:) but this is actually a modern Chinese film that reminded me somewhat of the golden days of HK cinema and that will do fine for now. ;)

Little Big Soldier 2010 Movie Trailer 2 - YouTube

trebor8273 29th January 2013 06:59 PM

Finished dredd, now going to watch not of this earth, how is it, anyone seen it?

bdc 29th January 2013 07:05 PM

If it's the one with Traci Lords...I enjoyed it but it's been a while. ;)