Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 8th March 2013 09:41 AM

Was halfway through Female Trouble when mate confirmed his "passing" was a f***ing hoax. Watched rest in slightly better frame of mind.

The Dunwich Horror (1970)

Dean Stockwell, Sandra Dee, Ed Begley, Lloyd Bochner.

To compare this to Lovecraft's story would be pointless, as it resembles it as much as semolina resembles concrete. SO......DS plays Wlibur Whately, who "studies the occult" and wants a butchers at Professor Armitage's (EB) copy of the Necronomicon. And he won't take no for an answer!!!
More or less an attempt to cash in on the "devillish" vibe circulating at the time imo, this takes teeny slivers of HPL, and grafts some sex magick into it with the subtlety of a brick. Nonetheless, I have time for this over other HPL abortions, some elements rising it above such crap as Dagon. Corman's attempts to pillage HPL are at best extremely hit and miss (The Haunted Palace???) and I understand that it would take an Avaturd style budget to fully realise TDH on the big screen. But twas a nice enough print etc.;)

Justin101 8th March 2013 09:50 AM

I keep meaning to have a John Waters marathon, I had most of them on VHS and have never re-bought them! From Polyester on-wards I have them on DVD though, I particularly love 'A Dirty Shame' :lol:

Demoncrat 8th March 2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 326373)
I keep meaning to have a John Waters marathon, I had most of them on VHS and have never re-bought them! From Polyester on-wards I have them on DVD though, I particularly love 'A Dirty Shame' :lol:

Which version?? the R (released in UK as an 18), or the NC17 version?

Justin101 8th March 2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 326375)
Which version?? the R (released in UK as an 18), or the NC17 version?

NC17 :lol: the R version is a joke!

Demoncrat 8th March 2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 326377)
NC17 :lol: the R version is a joke!

Phew then. Was just checking.;)

J Harker 8th March 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 326364)
As I said before, I really liked Cars (and still do) even though it's nowhere near the quality of the likes of the Toy Story films, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo or WALL-E.

Don't like Cars much at all, think it's Pixars worst film by a mile.

PaulD 8th March 2013 10:40 AM

I just don't really get the internal logic of Cars. Why are the cars there? Where are all the humans?

Demoncrat 8th March 2013 10:43 AM

Can't help i'm afraid, as it never appealed to me at all. I just don't get the fetishisation about cars really, and never have. Is it a penis thing???:rolleyes:

Hawkmonger 8th March 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 326390)
Can't help i'm afraid, as it never appealed to me at all. I just don't get the fetishisation about cars really, and never have. Is it a penis thing???:rolleyes:

Cars are sexy, good cars anyway.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 326370)
Was halfway through Female Trouble when mate confirmed his "passing" was a f***ing hoax. Watched rest in slightly better frame of mind.

The Dunwich Horror (1970)

Dean Stockwell, Sandra Dee, Ed Begley, Lloyd Bochner.

To compare this to Lovecraft's story would be pointless, as it resembles it as much as semolina resembles concrete. SO......DS plays Wlibur Whately, who "studies the occult" and wants a butchers at Professor Armitage's (EB) copy of the Necronomicon. And he won't take no for an answer!!!
More or less an attempt to cash in on the "devillish" vibe circulating at the time imo, this takes teeny slivers of HPL, and grafts some sex magick into it with the subtlety of a brick. Nonetheless, I have time for this over other HPL abortions, some elements rising it above such crap as Dagon. Corman's attempts to pillage HPL are at best extremely hit and miss (The Haunted Palace???) and I understand that it would take an Avaturd style budget to fully realise TDH on the big screen. But twas a nice enough print etc.;)

Why does the world seem to hate Dagon?