Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Beyond72 12th March 2013 11:47 AM

Bloodbeat

A woman who lives in deer-hunting country in rural Wisconsin is possessed by the spirit of a Japanese samurai warrior.

Off-key "Slasher". While I admire the director for trying to do something different. It's best moment is a standard chase sequence, with a great touch, when some street lights suddenly go out with a deft musical cue.

Deadly Games

Not too shabby slasher. A decent finale is only marred by a totally inappropriate score. (Which is a shame as the opening to the theme music shows promise.) Also features the worst cat "scare" I've ever witnessed!

Killer Party

All over the place, but fun 80's horror.

Without Warning

Predator may have done the same idea with bigger budget and stars, but this is way more suspenseful/creepy for me.

Susan Foreman 12th March 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 327153)
MR VAMPIRE. I loved this film when I first saw it years ago on Channel 4 as part of a season of HK genre films...now I find myself wondering if my memory has been playing tricks on me. It's bloody awful. Oddly, I don't think my tastes have changed but rather the film!

Um...no, it is YOU who is wrong

'Mr. Vampire' is a great film!

Handyman Joe 12th March 2013 12:28 PM

The Belly of an Architect - I've said it before on here, but no director splits me in half like Peter Greenaway (exception - The Cook, the Thief.... That ones 100% masterpiece). I love the obsessive visual style, the music and the general air of high invention. I hate the stilted acting, catatonic plot development and awkward dialogue. Happily Belly features a great performance by Brian Dennehy (thought Chloe Webb as his wife was awful though) and the sights of Rome, which up the visual ante even more than usual. There's even an emotional charge in the ending, unusual for chilly old Greenaway. This is one of his best for me and well worth the 10.99 it's currently going for on Amazon. Blu ray picture very grainy in the darker scenes - a good thing apparently according to any reviews I've read.

Susan Foreman 12th March 2013 12:32 PM

Watched the Gareth Edwards film 'Monsters' this morning

20 minutes into it, I was desperately looking around the room for things to tidy, or hoovering that needed to be done, or checking how much washing needed to be put into the machine!

I mean...it's a bit tedious!

PaulD 12th March 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 327242)
Watched the Gareth Edwards film 'Monsters' this morning

20 minutes into it, I was desperately looking around the room for things to tidy, or hoovering that needed to be done, or checking how much washing needed to be put into the machine!

I mean...it's a bit tedious!

Boooo hiss! It's a great film! I can understand people being disappointed if they expected a full-on monster movie though.

Susan Foreman 12th March 2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 327246)
Boooo hiss! It's a great film! I can understand people being disappointed if they expected a full-on monster movie though.

The trailer was a bit misleading!

If I was in 'cerebral' mode, I think I would have enjoyed it more, but I wanted something trashy, lightweight and throw-away!

demonknight 12th March 2013 03:00 PM

Watched Southern Comfort recently but to be honest I think I prefer Deliverance.
SC still a good movie though.

Demoncrat 12th March 2013 03:47 PM

CONTAINS SPOILER.

Wolfhound (Nikolay Lebedev, 2007).

Borrowed this from mate who is mad keen on modern Russian cinema.
Can only say that I enjoyed this fairytalesque (?) romp. Child watches village get slaughtered, becomes slave, befriended by bat, finally escapes, reaks revenge , falls in love with princess etc etc. Some decent set pieces, and a good central performance should satisfy any passing LOTR/fantasy fan, and the ending would suit a better tv than mine, but all in all a reasonable 136 minutes.;)

Slippery Jack 12th March 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 327247)
The trailer was a bit misleading!

If I was in 'cerebral' mode, I think I would have enjoyed it more, but I wanted something trashy, lightweight and throw-away!

Yeah it's definitely not that :lol: More like a mumblecore noodly Indie romance that happens to have a few monsters in it . . .

trebor8273 12th March 2013 06:13 PM

Help

Going to watch one of these Steven king mini series tonight but can't decide

The stand
The shining
Salems lot (new)
Tommy knockers