Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

DryJack 4th June 2011 02:29 PM

I watched Cube last night. I'd forgotten just how good this movie is. I've never seen the sequels. Anyone know if they're worth bothering with?

pedromonkey 4th June 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 155698)
I watched Cube last night. I'd forgotten just how good this movie is. I've never seen the sequels. Anyone know if they're worth bothering with?

i really like Cube 2: hypercube but found Cube Zero to be a bit pants.

DryJack 4th June 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 155700)
i really like Cube 2: hypercube but found Cube Zero to be a bit pants.

Cheers. I'll definately check them both out (bit expensive on Amazon though)

PaulD 4th June 2011 05:14 PM

Watched Monsters last night. I had seen it before but fancied watching it again (and my girlfriend hadn;t seen it). Still absolutely loved it - she did too (even though I think she was expecting a Syfy channel monster movie at the start). I know it has its detractors and a lot of people find it too slow and lacking in action but I honestly think it's a fantastically-made film which an incredible feel to it.

Gonna watch it again later this week with the commentary on.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th June 2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 155573)
How about Short Night of Glass Dolls? ;)

Top film and one I plan on watching again soon.

I've just started a Paul Naschy Blu-ray double bill of Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th June 2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 155733)
Gonna watch it again later this week with the commentary on.

I really liked the commentary as I found it informative and well delivered by Gareth Edwards and the two actors. When he points out some of the visual effects, you'll be astonished.

PaulD 4th June 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 155738)
I really liked the commentary as I found it informative and well delivered by Gareth Edwards and the two actors. When he points out some of the visual effects, you'll be astonished.

Yeah, I saw him do a Q&A at at preview screening at Tyneside Cinema last year and some of the stories he had about the films' making were really interesting so I'm hoping to relive some of that in the commentary. He comes across as such a nice and humble guy too which always helps.

J.R. 4th June 2011 09:36 PM

I watched House by the Cemetary for the umpteenth time yesterday: still love, and have NO idea of what's going on!

nekromantik 4th June 2011 10:49 PM

Just seen a French flick called Black Heaven

its sorta a drama/thriller about this guy who finds a mobile with his girlfriend, and they find out the owner is a gal and she hangs around with this guy. So he follows her and then finds out she plays a online game. Then things start to escalate as they do :lol:

Was a pretty good flick, recommended if you want something a bit different as parts of the movie are played out through the game.

Prince_Vajda 5th June 2011 08:20 AM

Yesterday I watched Watch Me When I Kill! by Antonio Bido. I was surprised in a very positive way - I think is is quite difficult to shoot a movie that pays homage to Dario Argento's early flicks AND successfully avoids being a mere copy. The score of the movie is quite Goblin-like (I would have never found out without the statement on the Shameless cover :eyebrows:); the main theme reminded me of Deep Red, one of my Argento favourites. :nod:

Good actors (although I more than once thought that the leading actor looked a bit like Charles Bronson "light" :lol:), good pace and a clever story - highly recommended! :clap:

Greetings!

Sam 5th June 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 155703)
Cheers. I'll definately check them both out (bit expensive on Amazon though)

Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there :nod:

DryJack 5th June 2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 155824)
Check your local CEX (or cex.co.uk), they're only £1 each there :nod:

Cheers. Just ordered Cube 2.

PaulD 5th June 2011 11:20 AM

Watched Lamberto Bava's Macabre last night. I was a little disappointed to be honest, it was good but not as good as I was expecting. Certainly prefer A Blade in the Dark and Demons.

I was going to get very angry at Arrow for their cover spoiling a big reveal but it seems that most of the posters for it seem to do the same thing so I'll let them off the hook :)

PaulD 5th June 2011 01:46 PM

Just watched What Have They Done to Your Daughters. Along with Torso and Night Train Murders this is my favourite Shameless release to date I think. Really fantastic giallo/police thriller with some great tense scenes (especially the one in the parking lot). The long car chase with the killer was also utterly immense. Great soundtrack too! Are other Poliziotteschi films like this?

Gojirosan 5th June 2011 03:24 PM

Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!

pedromonkey 5th June 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 155914)
Just watched John Carpenter's much maligned and badly distributed The Ward.

Perhaps I'm just an apologist fanboy, but I thought it was decent - well made, great setting, good performances, nicely paced. Like a very agreeable Shutter Island-lite.

No Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13, but then far from a Memoirs Of An Invisible Man!

i've heard some people say it's pants but it's had quite positive reviews,, but yeah i too am a bit a Carpenter fan boy so i may be a bit biased when i watch it..

Gojirosan 5th June 2011 06:37 PM

In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.

bdc 5th June 2011 06:59 PM

Just watched Corman's The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957).
Very low budget peplum adventure from AIP...I'd say it's instantly forgettable.
It has a certain charm though and luckily stars Susan Cabot (probably the best thing about this film).
There's some nice matte paintings and the "sea serpent" is ok I guess but expect some terrible background projection scenes when they are at sea (thank goodness most of the movie plays on land! ;) ).
And don't get me started about the long ship used! :loco:

YouTube - ‪Viking Women and the Sea Serpent (1957) - Trailer‬‏

nekromantik 5th June 2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 155952)
In contrast to the pleasant surprise of The Ward, I have just been let down by Irish folk-horror effort Wake Wood.

It's not bad per se - some elements far from it - it's just that it is an unpolished clash of its parts. Some of it is excellent and compelling, other parts amateurish and clumsy. The photography is glorious and moody one minute, then the worst kind of hand-held, sub-Dogme amateur video crap the next. Likewise the three main leads are good yet the little girl (a key part) is awful and a few supporting characters are amateur dramatics level.

I wanted to like this film as the idea and setting are splendid, but it doesn't make it. Worth seeing for the good aspects, but highly flawed as a whole. A shame.

i think the opposite :lol:
was disappointed by ward and loved WW

Argentofan 5th June 2011 09:27 PM

30th anniversary of NOTLD. It was amazing......ly shit.:lol:

James Morton 5th June 2011 09:31 PM

What films have you seen recently?

Luc Besson's THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC, a charming comedy fantasy
Stuart Gordon's excellent KING OF THE ANTS

PaulD 6th June 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 155979)
30th anniversary of NOTLD. It was amazing......ly shit.:lol:

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed as I was when I bought Anchor Bay's Trilogy of the Dead boxset. Not only was Dawn of the Dead cut but having to have the NOTLD 30th Anniversary edition was just painful and it was awful to watch. Thank god I sold it on eBay and upgraded to the Arrow BD's and the Elite Milennium edition

Argentofan 6th June 2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 156124)
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed as I was when I bought Anchor Bay's Trilogy of the Dead boxset. Not only was Dawn of the Dead cut but having to have the NOTLD 30th Anniversary edition was just painful and it was awful to watch. Thank god I sold it on eBay and upgraded to the Arrow BD's and the Elite Milennium edition

It is quite a bad boxset. Even the pictures on the back are wrong! Day has a picture from Dawn and vice versa. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2011 07:16 PM

I own two colourised versions of Night of the Living Dead, both of which came in multi-DVD box sets where the price works out as less than £1 per DVD!

Still overpriced if you ask me.

Gojirosan 7th June 2011 03:26 PM

I have just sat through last year's Legion.

What a load of utter crap.

Possibly the worst thing I've seen this year. Certainly a contender.

Hateful.

Prince_Vajda 7th June 2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 156192)
I own two colourised versions of Night of the Living Dead, both of which came in multi-DVD box sets where the price works out as less than £1 per DVD!

Still overpriced if you ask me.

You can say that again! The original Night of the Living Dead and colour - that's like having Château Mouton Rothschild and a Big Mac together. Some people will love it, but it is indeed disgusting. :eek:

Just imagine: all those old fantastic moody black and white flicks in colour versions. Ninotchka in colour - baah, I am shivering from head to toe considering such an abomination. :shocked:

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th June 2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 156377)
I have just sat through last year's Legion.

What a load of utter crap.

Possibly the worst thing I've seen this year. Certainly a contender.

Hateful.

My thoughts exactly. I was sent the BD to review and I watched it then wrote the review and haven't touched the disc since! In my review, I gave it two stars out of five and figured I was being more than generous. I think I was comparing it to the likes of Marley & Me, Bride Wars and Max Payne, which are all far worse films.

Legion Blu-ray

platostotal 7th June 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 156383)
You can say that again! The original Night of the Living Dead and colour - that's like having Château Mouton Rothschild and a Big Mac together. Some people will love it, but it is indeed disgusting. :eek:

Just imagine: all those old fantastic moody black and white flicks in colour versions. Ninotchka in colour - baah, I am shivering from head to toe considering such an abomination. :shocked:

Greetings!

True indeed 'Prince', the way tech is evolving our generation may be the last to see things without 400 different digital 'fixes' to make them more appealing. I remember when they first colourized vintage B/W films, what a stupid idea. And rightly said, nothing wrong with fine wine or a Big Mac, but not on the same menu. Gad, just imagine 100 years from now. On second thought don't, just watch a good film instead.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th June 2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 156384)
My thoughts exactly. I was sent the BD to review and I watched it then wrote the review and haven't touched the disc since! In my review, I gave it two stars out of five and figured I was being more than generous. I think I was comparing it to the likes of Marley & Me, Bride Wars and Max Payne, which are all far worse films.

Legion Blu-ray

Seen that film once, never again, i cried my eyes out for the last twenty minutes, not just a tear or two.

I've had labradors ever since i was born, still own one now (Hi Bramble, if you're reading this - probably unlikely)

It was just too much. :(

The following day i cried my eyes out again as i realised i had watched an entire Owen Wilson film. :shocked:

Gojirosan 7th June 2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 156418)
(Hi Bramble, if you're reading this - probably unlikely)

Best post ever.

mercury 7th June 2011 07:37 PM

Slaughter High
Funhouse

gag 8th June 2011 02:16 AM

Any one seen a film called rubber if so what u think of it ?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th June 2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 156478)
Any one seen a film called rubber if so what u think of it ?

Rubber is a very weird movie as it follows the adventures of a sentient car tyre which is able to kill people by telekinesis! I imagine it's a 'Marmite' film, but I thought it was great:

Rubber Blu-Ray Review

DryJack 8th June 2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 156485)
Rubber is a very weird movie as it follows the adventures of a sentient car tyre which is able to kill people by telekinesis! I imagine it's a 'Marmite' film, but I thought it was great:

Rubber Blu-Ray Review

Sounds like a road movie!

Demoncrat 8th June 2011 12:03 PM

watched Despicable Me....very conservative message wrapped up by some neat sight gags...6/10
The Human Centipede....not as laughable, or as gross as i was led to believe, my mates are in for a rough ride when i bring them to task for "plugging" (nae pun intended) this pointless little film...5/10
Demons of the Mind....started very predictably, it heats up when M Horden turns up as harbinger of god, great ending, pity about R Hardy's "oo arrr" comedy turn, 2nd oddest film in Hammer boxset so far...
also showed mate part of War of the Robots, he agreed that it was THE worst print he'd seen as well...;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th June 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 156503)
Sounds like a road movie!

It's definitely something different and the ending is something else entirely! If you fancy trying something new and are prepared to watch it with an open mind, it's really worth watching.

Gojirosan 8th June 2011 08:04 PM

After Legion yesterday and now My Soul To Take today, the gods of film owe me BIG!

You try to use a period of illness to catch up on some films and you get stinker after stinker!

PaulD 8th June 2011 11:17 PM

We've just got a 3 month subscription to Cinema Paradiso (LoveFilm type online rental service) for £6 thanks to a Groupon offer so I'm expecting to go through a ton of films over the next few months. The first one was Sunshine which we watched last night. For some reason I had avoided it as I was sure I'd heard it was rubbish but I thought it was incredible to be honest. Really enjoyed it.

Also, just watched the Cat O' Nine Tails before as it was on The Horror Channel

nekromantik 9th June 2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 156666)
After Legion yesterday and now My Soul To Take today, the gods of film owe me BIG!

You try to use a period of illness to catch up on some films and you get stinker after stinker!

the whole diner part of legion was awesome! but then it went down fast as soon as they left the diner. I LOVED the old woman!

Only good thing about My Soul To Take was Max Thierot :lol:

Gojirosan 9th June 2011 12:47 AM

I didn't think Legion had any redeeming features at all. At least My Soul To Take had Zena Grey*! :nod::lol:

However, I got my reward for sitting through two such awful films: just watched Outpost for the first time, which was just wonderful.

* Hubba hubba, rowr etc...