Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2013, 07:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Antz last night and currently watching Them!
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.
Old 14th May 2013, 08:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
Watched Antz last night and currently watching Them!
What a fantastic double feature night. We should do a thread on Apt Double/Triple features

SCM likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 14th May 2013, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

yes
Old 14th May 2013, 11:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

More alternative stuff:
1)very early film that depicts a woman (the first ever American woman in front of a camera) dancing,2)satan is bored and starts doing some tricks,demostration of special effects,3)life in Berlin during the 20's,4)a day in Nice by Jean Vigo,5)a rare sci-fi tv movie by Andrzej Wajda,6)Tony Richardson's satire on the funeral business,7)a hidden gem,an animated musical about a poet who commits suicide only to return as a cockroach that falls for an alley cat! 8)I re-lived my childhood by watching this unsuccessful Disney pilot with my niece,9)Spanish movie about unemployment starring Javier Bardem,10)A Serbian black comedy,11)experimental film about loneliness and lost identity,12)Haneke's sm drama! 13)two entries from Wong kar Wai's universe,14),15) mediocre..
Old 14th May 2013, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just finished watching Them! Amazing
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th May 2013, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

"Audition" - Last time I watched "Audition" I was mildly disturbed, this time, as I am older and wiser I was very disturbed. This film turns the maniac theme upside down, no deformed, ugly psycho but a perfect, beautiful young girl with the deformity on the inside.

What a cracker (film and leading lady) 10/10 for not letting me down. Twice!

I love this film, the first time I watched this I was 11 and that torture scene has been stuck in my mind for a decade. I have to say that this and Ichi the Killer are 2 of my favourite films by Miike Takashi.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 14th May 2013, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just watched Masque of the Red Death, that was amazing.
Old 14th May 2013, 04:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
Just watched Masque of the Red Death, that was amazing.
On a similar note, I've just watched Tales of Terror, love Vincent Price in the Black Cat segment
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th May 2013, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Been busy as ever but here's a quick rundown on what I've seen since I last posted on here:

Aftershock - Eli Roth co-writes and stars in this horror/thriller about a group of clubbers struggling to survive a night during an earthquake in Chile. Has a tedious first 25 minutes which probably thinks is justified in setting up the characters but once the earthquake hits it steps up the pace a bit. Eli Roth is terrible in it and really struggles to act (and I say that as someone who didn't mind his previous acting in things like Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof and Cabin Fever and who wants to like him for his genre enthusiasm) and the whole thing is really rather shallow with it's sledgehammer subtlety of the "it's not the natural disaster that's the problem - it's how the people are reacting in the aftermath as society goes to pieces!" point it thinks its clever in making. Kinda dug that it was shot on a Canon 5D camera though; it looked really good in that regard

The Case of the Scorpion's Tail - top notch twisty-turny Sergio Martino giallo. Great mystery, suspense, death and soundtrack. What more do you want?

The Avengers AKA Marvel's Avenger's Assemble
- My third time seeing this and still a joy as ever to watch. Funny, thrilling and just great fun. The best bits are watching Joss Whedon do what he does best which is to put a group of people with a common goal but personal issues into a room together to come up with a plan with hilarious, bickering results. It's the most 'comic book' I've seen a comic book movie be and that is no bad thing and I'm always amazed at how good a balancing act Whedon does with all of the characters

Happy Birthday to Me - batsh*t-barmy slasher film. Love the kills, the odd atmosphere and the final reveal. One of the genre's finest. Lovely looking bluray from Mill Creek too.

Krug & Company/The Last House on the Left nice drunken double-bill. Krug and Company is far more erratically edited than the film it would become but that's to be expected. TLHOTL has gone from a film I watched years ago and didn't enjoy or see any merit in to one of my all-time favourite exploitation films. Sure, the 'violence begets violence' point is old hat and not as clever as Craven thinks (and somewhat hypocritical - ''I'll show how violence turns others onto violence IN THE MOST HORRIFICALLY VIOLENT WAY...YEEEEAAHHH LET'S REVEL IN ALL THE VIOLENCE FOR A BIT!!") but the film on a whole is so gripping and scary it's forgivable. An excellent film.

Stalker - apparently started life as a remake of Expose, this British thriller starts off mildly interesting and descends into cliches and obvious plot twists. Directed by Martin 'Spandau Ballet' Kemp. ''Ah-ha-ha-haaaa-haaaa, I know this, film was, poo"

Incidentally, the only films above that were new viewings were Stalker, Aftershock and Krug and Company The rest were rewatches.
Old 14th May 2013, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I didn't mind Stalker, it isn't gold, I know this much is true
PaulD, keirarts and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!