Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd October 2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 45479)
its great when they come early:biggrin: what you planning on for tonight?

I'm very intrigued by Colin, so am gonna have to watch that now... :biggrin:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 22nd October 2009 07:23 PM

I'm really looking forward to what you guys make of Colin, I won't say how I feel as it may affect your opinion a bit. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd October 2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 45465)
I think dvd will still reign supreme at the moment in the tall dude household,although said son may get the odd blu ray disc in his xmas stocking.;)

Just ordered this little lot....

Still game xmas and new year specials.
Steptoe and son xmas specials.
In sickness and in health-series 3.
Halloween night.
rab c nesbit-series 4.
One eyed monster.
Horrible.
Awaken the dead.
Hell house.
Taste of flesh.
Tokyo gore police.
Jim davidson-uncovered and uncensored.

Watched dead snow last night...bloody brilliant.
A great,gory zombie flick,with some really creepy atmospheric scenes before the blood starts flying,and believe you me,theres plenty of the red stuff in the last half hour. Great stuff!!:clap:

Yeah same as me .....for the meantime....:biggrin:

DEAD SNOW was great!:clap:

Gigantor 23rd October 2009 09:50 AM

DANCE OF THE DRAGON Cinematic fluff.....
GUNS OF THE DRAGON ( its called AMERICAN DRAGON over there) Its was alright
ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13(Remake) liked the original but the remake was really bad.

Gigantor 23rd October 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 45496)

DEAD SNOW was great!:clap:

Yeah DEADSNOW was fun.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd October 2009 12:18 PM

I managed to watch Sisters Of Death last night. It was a great little 70s grindhouse film (although there was no blood or nudity - which it could've done with). The premise of it is the best part of it though - a group of girls play russian roulette and one is killed. 10 years or so later, the Dad of the dead girl gets them all together in an isolated house and tries to kill who he thinks 'murdered' his daughter. Great little twist at the end too.

DeadAlive 23rd October 2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 45538)
ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13(Remake) liked the oroiginal but the remake was really bad.

I watched John Carpenter's original recently and I still love it. so much so, I have avoided the remake like the plague. :ack:

"The Uninvited" - This Hollywood rework (I can't call it a remake.) takes the basic idea from the Korean film "A Tale Of Two Sisters" and goes it's own way aside for a few occasional moments. It's not total crap, it is just not remotely engrossing and it completely fails to build any genuine atmosphere. Go in with very low expectations and you won't be too disappointed. It may actually help you get off to sleep.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd October 2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 45564)

"The Uninvited" - This Hollywood rework (I can't call it a remake.) takes the basic idea from the Korean film "A Tale Of Two Sisters" and goes it's own way aside for a few occasional moments. It's not total crap, it is just not remotely engrossing and it completely fails to build any genuine atmosphere. Go in with very low expectations and you won't be too disappointed. It may actually help you get off to sleep.

I've so far avoided The Uninvited in the same way you avoided the Assault remake DA! :biggrin:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd October 2009 02:23 PM

Just ordered some goodies from Amazon Marketplace:

- Central Park Drifter
- Combat Shock
- The Dead Pit
- The Last Horror Film
- Messiah of Evil: The Second Coming
- Terror Firmer

Splatterdragon73 24th October 2009 11:32 AM

I managed to watch both Norwegian slashers Cold Prey and Cold Prey II:Resurrection last week and enjoyed 'em both.
Especially the sequel which i thought was the better of the two and that doesn't happen often we all know it!

Although these films are pretty much standard stalk 'n slash outings they're still well worth watching imo.

On the downside there are predictable and derivative elements in both CP entries (the likes of My Bloody Valentine, The Shining and Halloween seem to have been an influence here. And there's a scene near the end of the second movie that possibly echoes City Of The Living Dead.). But to be honest i never found these shortcomings insurmountable.

Also, CPII:R joins the ranks of The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue, The Beyond, Halloween II and X-Ray for horror films with either segments or the entire movie set in the most unpopulated hospital you've ever seen.

However, i found both films to be superbly shot (again the sequel scores higher here imo.), briskly paced (CPII:R takes a little while to get going before the blood starts flowing but events never actually get boring.), well acted (female lead Ingrid Bolso Berdal is particularly strong in her role.) with decent characters and a suitably silent, ruthless killer looking like he's wandered off the set of John Carpenter's The Thing remake! I also thought the second CP installment was the gorier movie and i was satisfied with the carnage on display.

G2's U.K. double-bill 2-disc DVD boasts trailers for both CP contributions and also a short subtitled bts featurette on the first film.
The 2.35:1 anamorphic transfers are gloriously pristine and God only knows how good these movies would look on Blu-Ray if the DVD prints are anything to go by! Overall, both CP efforts are pretty visually stylish and the PQ certainly delivers the goods.

HMV currently have the above double dose of Norwegian nastiness for sale at £8 and at this price the British DVD is a purchase well worth the money imo.

If you haven't already guessed, both Cold Prey and Cold Prey II:Resurrection come highly recommended!:happy: