Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2013, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Possession
Tried watching this but get feeling its one of those films you have to be in the mood to watch, don't get me wrong from what I've seen it seems like it will be a great movie. Will try again later this week.
One of my favourite films. Stick with it, bud. It will reward you for years to come.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Can't believe people don't love the Goonies, it's one of my childhood favourites that I could watch at any time. I agree with Keirarts regarding Ferris Bueller, never liked this film and yes the Lost Boys is awesome!

keirarts, trebor8273 and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th August 2013, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (1949)

Bud and Lou tangle with the original Universal Monsters, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), The Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr) and the Frankenstein Monster (Glenn Strange). Great creepy sets and some unexpected horror moments that you would not expect in a comedy film.
My very favourite Abbott and Costello film. I haven't seen one for years!

Monster Magnet
Old 6th August 2013, 12:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just remembered why I'm here, not in a deep philosophical way, just why I logged on about an hour ago!

"Shadow of the Vampire" 2000

I have tried watching this film on numerous occasions in the past and nevr got very far. Not the film's fault just circumstances. Well no circumstances to stop me tonight and I loved it. Willem Dafoe's Max Schreck almost steals every scene he is in except for the fact that Malkovich's Murnau is a far more "filled in" character.

Thoroughly enjoyed and will watch again and again, 17/10 for the most creative death scene that I've seen!

Monster Magnet
Old 6th August 2013, 01:11 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Goonies (1985)

If Steven Spielberg threw all his films into a barrel, i'm sure when you thought it was empty if you just scraped your nails along the slimy bottom you would come across The Goonies.

Whats the worst thing about Jurassic Park? - The kids. Whats the worst thing about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? - The kid. Whats the worst thing about The Goonies? - Its populated by screaming, whining kids. Incidentally the worst thing from Temple of Doom is actually in The Goonies and he's the best thing about this terrible film.

The Goonies starts out not too bad with a few funny lines but soon goes downhill. The plot is a fairly ho-hum treasure hunt against a family of inept villains - the Fratelli's. The cast just get more annoying the longer the film goes on, especially the rotund beast in the flowery shirt who shouts loudly for the sake of it.

Recommended only to those who first saw this when they were five.
I like The Goonies - despite hating kids and child actors in general, too.

There's not even any nostalgia involved, as I never saw the film as a child. I can't really explain why I like it; I guess it reminds me a bit of me and my friends when we were young, and happier times ... so yeah, you could say that there is some nostalgia there in respect to that aspect.

As for Spielberg 'barrel scraping', I guess you've never seen War Horse!
Old 6th August 2013, 09:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

geekdog.jpg
"Teenagers from Outer Space" 1959
A tiny plywood flying saucer lands in the desert and disgorges, like a clown car, too many occupants. The first to pop out of the hatch bravely disintegrates the flesh off of a terrifyingly ferocious small terrier. They then bring out a small container containing something that looks like a gigantic cricket which promptly collapses due to exposure to our atmosphere just prior to the arthropod's collapse a young alien man notices something made by intelligent life amongst the bones of the deceased terrier and decides that they should not use this planet for their arthropods. After he escapes the leader of the young aliens leaves the pathological dog murderer to bring back the escapee and ties the now revived and rapidly growing arthropod in a cave...

Yes, it's a silly flick but eminently charming and thoroughly watchable. The crew must have raided every museum and research lab for miles around for the skeletons; and the horror of the giant lobster monster is too much to bear.

Enjoyable nonsense 15/10 for the schmaltzy ending.

Monster Magnet
Old 6th August 2013, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

As for Spielberg 'barrel scraping', I guess you've never seen War Horse!
War Horse whilst not being the greatest thing SS has put his name to is a far superior film to The Goonies.

Ghoulies is a better film than The Goonies as well.
Old 6th August 2013, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Short Film About Killing - Kieslowski's film began life as a shorter piece that was included in his 'Dekalog', a TV series based on the ten commandments. At it's core the film is an indictment of capital punishment but asks plenty of other questions along the way. The film is unrelentingly bleak with two absolutely gut-wrenching scenes, it's one of the powerful films I've seen, I've watched it three times now and each time it leaves me a little shaken. Kieslowski is one of my favourite directors and in my opinion 'A Short Film About Killing' is his best film, in fact it's one of THE best films period. Stunning.
Old 6th August 2013, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone watched Possession ( Andrzej Zulawski ) on Blu yet, what did you think of the PQ etc?
Old 6th August 2013, 01:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
War Horse whilst not being the greatest thing SS has put his name to is a far superior film to The Goonies.

Ghoulies is a better film than The Goonies as well.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!