Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2014, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evil speak

Watched this last night as a bit of rest from all the doctor who I have been watching. Always enjoyed this one but really could never understand how it became a video nasty. Most of the characters are so unlikable and nasty you can't wait for Stanley coopersmith too get his revenge on them. The film has never looked better, it's a shame there was never a sequel. 9/10
Old 25th May 2014, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of Flesh Mannequins (2009)

It does the film a disservice to call it a horror film because once watched and taken in, it so painfully obviously isn't. It's a story about relationships and developing love in a pair of unconventional lives. Starring the unknown to me, Domiziano Arcangeli and Irena A. Hoffman and Italian genre stalwart Giovanni Lombardo Radice. (Better known as John Morghen to some). Director Domiziano Cristopharo's film is an original vision of weird, disturbing and sometimes shocking invention.

It's use of cinematography is wonderful, doing for the moving picture what Peter Strickland's Berberian Sound Studio did for sound. The film has a mesmerizing quality to it. I often felt hypnotized as if i was on an ethereal journey of sound and vision. The music whilst never distracting from the onscreen elegance was carefully selected and often only a single piano or jazz trumpet motif enhancing the film's captivational qualities.

The film does feature several strong scenes of sex, torture and death, but these are not shown to exploit nor titilate but to explain the true depths of the characters. It does give the film a proper sense of uncomfortable unease at times, allowing the stories originality to shine through so you could never second guess what was coming next.

The real beauty of House of Flesh Mannequins is that someone else may see things from an entirely different point of view thus making it a film of maybe endless rewatch value.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House Of Flesh Mannequins (2009).jpg (92.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th May 2014, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

It does the film a disservice to call it a horror film because once watched and taken in, it so painfully obviously isn't. It's a story about relationships and developing love in a pair of unconventional lives. Starring the unknown to me, Domiziano Arcangeli and Irena A. Hoffman and Italian genre stalwart Giovanni Lombardo Radice. (Better known as John Morghen to some). Director Domiziano Cristopharo's film is an original vision of weird, disturbing and sometimes shocking invention.

It's use of cinematography is wonderful, doing for the moving picture what Peter Strickland's Berberian Sound Studio did for sound. The film has a mesmerizing quality to it. I often felt hypnotized as if i was on an ethereal journey of sound and vision. The music whilst never distracting from the onscreen elegance was carefully selected and often only a single piano or jazz trumpet motif enhancing the film's captivational qualities.

The film does feature several strong scenes of sex, torture and death, but these are not shown to exploit nor titilate but to explain the true depths of the characters. It does give the film a proper sense of uncomfortable unease at times, allowing the stories originality to shine through so you could never second guess what was coming next.

The real beauty of House of Flesh Mannequins is that someone else may see things from an entirely different point of view thus making it a film of maybe endless rewatch value.

Highly recommended.
I've had this for ages, but haven't seen it really... I put it on once and got so pissed I couldn't take it in (although who knows whether I reviewed it through that particular haze, I certainly haven't a clue). I remember MTDS didn't seem to like it too much, but I'll have to give it another go.
Old 25th May 2014, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I've had this for ages, but haven't seen it really... I put it on once and got so pissed I couldn't take it in (although who knows whether I reviewed it through that particular haze, I certainly haven't a clue). I remember MTDS didn't seem to like it too much, but I'll have to give it another go.
I've done a search and can't find any other mention of it on this thread.

I'll be interested to read your take of it Frankie.

Glad you liked F. I know i also enjoyed it but can't remember too much about it. I saw it over Christmas 2012 and did spout some gushing nonsense about it on this thread i'm pretty sure.

Was that the one where the kids were bounding about the top of storage shelves like primates or aliens or something?

Not seen Hellbreeder but it's now gone onto my Wishlist.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
'Torture Chamber' is on the pile, and Amazon will vouch for me on this. I too was surprised by the lack of foreword, and had to check out the credits list on my copy to be sure. Yup, it's Dante.
Agree again on Yuzna. I've never really rated Stuart Gordon, either. All of that mid eighties stuff stands as a Shibboleth now, but in years to come it will never be seen to possess the power of eg. Cronenberg, or even Carpenter etc etc. For a horror hack, his films occasionally snatch at ideas which are never fully realised. That elevates them a bit for me, and he knows how to turn a script competently enough. I've just ordered that one of his about a cybernetic dog. Maybe my life will suddenly change and things will be amazing.
I doubt Rottweiler will change your mind!
Old 25th May 2014, 05:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I've done a search and can't find any other mention of it on this thread.

I'll be interested to read your take of it Frankie.

Glad you liked F. I know i also enjoyed it but can't remember too much about it. I saw it over Christmas 2012 and did spout some gushing nonsense about it on this thread i'm pretty sure.

Was that the one where the kids were bounding about the top of storage shelves like primates or aliens or something?

Not seen Hellbreeder but it's now gone onto my Wishlist.
Yes, that sounds like 'F'.

'Hellbreeder' used to retail for about £0.01 on Amazon - hopefully this is still the case.

I'll certainly give 'House...' a good going over if I can find it... have you seen any of his other films? I've been trying to track down 'Hyde's Secret Nightmare' for ages, but it doesn't look like it ever came out. Image did another one of his, however.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes, that sounds like 'F'.

'Hellbreeder' used to retail for about £0.01 on Amazon - hopefully this is still the case.

I'll certainly give 'House...' a good going over if I can find it... have you seen any of his other films? I've been trying to track down 'Hyde's Secret Nightmare' for ages, but it doesn't look like it ever came out. Image did another one of his, however.
It's £3 at the moment delivered. I can wait.

House was a complete impulse buy, i'd not heard about it or anyone in it previously. Morghen excepted.

I'll be having a look at what else is available pretty soon i'm sure.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
It's £3 at the moment delivered. I can wait.

House was a complete impulse buy, i'd not heard about it or anyone in it previously. Morghen excepted.

I'll be having a look at what else is available pretty soon i'm sure.
Yeah, I'd give it 'till the 20p mark on 'Hellbreeder'. I was going to say that I hope it doesn't become some kind of fetishized Brit-slurry of the future a la £35 bob box set Pete Walker, but then again, maybe I hope it will.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:20 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Godzilla (2014). Not enough Cranston, not enough of the big guy. Apart from that (and continually cutting away from the fights), it was pretty good.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Highly recommended.
It's shit.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!