LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2014, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It's shit.
Clearly not enough shit being blown up for you multiplex types.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Clearly not enough shit being blown up for you multiplex types.
Too true, speaking of shit...CRIPPLED CREAK. 3 young women obsessed with the age old question of girth verses length plan to get away from it all in a cabin in the woods...more talk about sex follows as the girls get stoned and pissed. Some blokes turn up and the girls have sex with them. People talk endlessly. People get killed. By this point I was so bored I had started to make a list in my head of all the women I have had sex with and was it girth or length for them and would they find it odd if I phoned them to ask...er, anyway the film ended and I'm still none the wiser about anything.

Last edited by Make Them Die Slowly; 25th May 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
er, anyway the film ended and I'm still none the wiser about anything.
Even in reference to your previous sexual partners' preference regarding girth or length?
Old 25th May 2014, 06:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Even in reference to your previous sexual partners' preference regarding girth or length?
He called her... she wasn't in.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

The first spaceship to land on Mars gets into trouble when attacked by creatures and plants when they venture outside. They then find that an unseen force is stopping them from blasting off again...

This is really enjoyable. The Mars surface is filmed in what they call 'Cinemagic'. It looks like a red negative. One of the creatures they stumble across is a giant spider/rat monstrosity, and it looks pretty good, the colour of the screen adding to the image. The landscape and a Mars city look like cardboard cutouts but the red filter gives it an out of this world feeling. Check this one out if you can.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He called her... she wasn't in.
Harsh, Dem, harsh...doesn't my collection of erotic hand puppets count?
Old 25th May 2014, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Harsh, Dem, harsh...doesn't my collection of erotic hand puppets count?
I feel i got away quite lightly.

I was expecting death by forum from you.
Old 25th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Saw pulp fiction in the cinema for the 20th anniversary and it was a great experience. I enjoyed the film a lot more than I had in the past too. When those opening credits show up was a great moment with the cinema sound and everything.

Also saw godzilla, I enjoyed it but my girlfriend put it better than I could in the car on the way home -
"There's this thing that's like radioactive and it gets mad and kills loads of people. It goes to America cause everything has to happen in America. It has a friend so it meets up with it's friend. Then this thing called Godzilla comes out of the sea and they fight. The guy from breaking bad was in it. It was good like."

keirarts likes this.

Old 25th May 2014, 07:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not many movies watched over the past few weeks currently working my way through 24, (upto season 4). Of those I have seen:

Last one from 1954
Doctor In The House. First in the series has a great joke about 'the bleeding time'.

Elysium (2013) so-so expected more!
3:10 to Yuma (2007) A good western. (Gotta get me one of those jackets that Charlie Price was wearing)
Old 25th May 2014, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict

Godzilla

Godzilla_(2014)_poster.jpg

Went to see the new Godzilla film and i really enjoyed it.
Sure the film takes itself very seriously but having wisecracks and jokes when huge creatures are destroying cities and peoples lives would have lessened the impact and would have been out of place.
The acting was pretty good all round and i was surprised by the deaths of a few major characters. The film was given weight by the geezer from breaking bad and the Japanese bloke who both gave interesting performances.

The story while slightly over elaborate in design seemed to genuinely want to give a ridiculous premise a reasonable explanation and also be more respectful to the Japanese originals.
The least convincing parts were the main soldier bloke and his missus, but by the time we are more focused on them the monsters have started smashing sh*t up so it's not that much of a problem.
I read part of a review saying it went all american and gung ho in the middle, i'd disagree with this because most of the stuff the soldiers do just makes things worse. Also it didn't descend into flag waving and cheesy ' let's go win a war' type cliches.
I also was impressed by how the director let scenes build up and create tension, some of the cinematography was quite impressive i thought.
Even though stuff was smashed up it didn't just descend into Transformers style let's just throw everything at the screen mayhem and i could still follow what was happening throughout.

I only really had two problems with the film and they were very small, one was that some of the fight's at the end could have been lit a bit better, they were a little too dark at times but this may have just been down to the cinemas projection equipment. The other was that i would have preferred Godzilla breathed real fire.

Other than this I thought the actual design of Godzilla was great, much more true to it's roots than the crappy Broderick version, and although he does take a while to appear when he did i was really chuffed, the roar sent shivers down my spine.
The Mutos are pretty impressive too and make an impact in their scenes, one scene especially reminded me of the end of the directors other creature feature 'Monsters'.
All in all i thought Godzilla was one of the best blockbusters i've seen for a while, it was impressively shot, the creatures and acting were good, there was tension and it wasn't all sentimental and overly preachy.

Recommended 8.5

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!