LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2014, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What about those of us without a mind?
For people like Ron there is always Al Adamson.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Aguire the Wrath of God.
I'm not quite sure what to say, I spent a good chunk of it trying to follow the actual plot before I realised there wasn't really one to follow, Klaus Kinski and a bunch of Spaniards set off into the Amazon looking for El Dorado. They all go crazy (although to be honest some of them seemed halfway there to begin with). A strange dreamy film that is admittedly stunning to look at but that possibly needs another viewing with different/lower/no expectations.
Old 27th August 2014, 06:07 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Aguire the Wrath of God.
I'm not quite sure what to say, I spent a good chunk of it trying to follow the actual plot before I realised there wasn't really one to follow, Klaus Kinski and a bunch of Spaniards set off into the Amazon looking for El Dorado. They all go crazy (although to be honest some of them seemed halfway there to begin with). A strange dreamy film that is admittedly stunning to look at but that possibly needs another viewing with different/lower/no expectations.
I love Aguirre, its the film that got me into Herzog.
Old 27th August 2014, 06:44 AM
Cult Addict

Really? I'll give it another go but I'm far from convinced.
Old 27th August 2014, 07:08 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I love Aguirre, its the film that got me into Herzog.
The first Herzog film I watched was The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. Whilst good from a technical standpoint, I completely failed to connect with it on a personal, emotional, or cinematic level.

Not long after I watched Aguirre and it completely blew me away. I have yet to emulate that feeling and experience which I felt during and after Aguirre via any of Herzog's other films (however there are others I've enjoyed). Like a few widely heralded directors I've come across (Godard is another good example) my reactions to their work is disparate at best. Admittedly, there are a few films of Herzog's that I still need to check out, and whilst a wonderful technically engaging film-maker, I just haven't connected with a good chunk of his output.

I may end up picking up the BFI boxset at some point if it becomes cheap and give some of his films another go.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:08 AM
Cult Addict

One thing i have to say for Aguire is that it atmospherically it's incredible, for 90 odd minutes it really does take you to that place. Unfortunately I've always been a viewer who struggles without a more defined storyline.
Question - Should Herzog's films be watched in German or English? Seen as on most, particularly the feature length ones the bfi set includes both options.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Song (1982)

A psychopath escapes from a mental asylum and goes on a killing rampage after having been locked up there for years as a consequence of witnessing his father kill his mother and then himself.

This development is offset by a young handicapped girl who is seeing visions of all the grisly murders taking place, which we later discover is due to her receiving a blood transfusion and therefore the killer's 'bad blood', which now courses through her veins and enables her to 'see' what he sees (at certain choice intervals of course).

So that handles the 'blood' element of the title. The 'song' aspect is covered by our psychopath's regular and eerily repetitive flute playing - a reminder of the father he barely knew who made it for him when he was a boy.

Overall Blood Song is a fairly effective little foray into psychosis and slasherdom, albeit silly and a little muddled in places.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 11:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
One thing i have to say for Aguire is that it atmospherically it's incredible, for 90 odd minutes it really does take you to that place. Unfortunately I've always been a viewer who struggles without a more defined storyline.
Question - Should Herzog's films be watched in German or English? Seen as on most, particularly the feature length ones the bfi set includes both options.
German. Watch Fitzcarraldo next cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th August 2014, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Lords Of Salem (Rob Zombie, 2012) EOne UK dvd.

You see, like Bobby, I'm also a fan of The Tenant & Rosemarys Baby.....some nice imagery and a catchy tune do not maketh a scary movie!!

And All Tomorrows Parties on the ST ruined the ending for me.

MAKE A COMEDY NEXT TIME METHINKS....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th August 2014, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Lords Of Salem (Rob Zombie, 2012) EOne UK dvd.

You see, like Bobby, I'm also a fan of The Tenant & Rosemarys Baby.....some nice imagery and a catchy tune do not maketh a scary movie!!

And All Tomorrows Parties on the ST ruined the ending for me.

MAKE A COMEDY NEXT TIME METHINKS....
His next one is about a creepy carnival and clowns I think... therefore expect a a white-trash take on Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse with plenty of riffing on IT and 2D Captain Spaulding clones.
anythinggoes78 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!