Good Trader

Sounds like you're nearly ready to post your top 100 sci-fi films, trebor
Old 12th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Sounds like you're nearly ready to post your top 100 sci-fi films, trebor
I will have to,try and do a top 50 this weekend. Interstellar surprisingly is going to be in the top 3, it was that good
Old 12th November 2014, 08:35 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I will have to,try and do a top 50 this weekend. Interstellar surprisingly is going to be in the top 3, it was that good
Interstellar is a great great film it made my top 50 because i want to see it again before i can place it properly im sure it will get closer to my top 10.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict

Sinister eyes of Dr Orloff.

Jess franco brings back his reoccurring character Orloff, here in a murderous scheme to rip of a crippled woman's inheritance. The usual caveat applies here and if you don;t enjoy Franco's work then steer clear. Intervisions print seems somewhat beat up and murky and the subtitling aint great but it somehow ads to the films odd charms. Perhaps not as sleazy as some Franco offerings I still enjoyed it.

Gallowalkers.

Wesley snipes stars in a direct to home video horror western that actually turns out to be far more interesting than its premise suggests. Snipes and his sidekick are out hunting zombies in the desert, mainly the undead gang who raped his woman many years back. The film really stands out thanks to its visual style with colour coded villains and townsfolk. Skinned outlaws 'borrowing' victims flesh and occasional outrageous spaghetti western violence. Personally I'm glad I picked this one up, its influences seem as diverse as sergio leone and Jodorowsky and the film is certainly something more than a lot of straight to video dross. Well worth a look on Blu-ray as well, the photography is phenomenal.

Nightcrawler.

I know, I know, INTERSTELLAR is out and its a 'masterpiece' but I really fancied seeing this one. I'm glad I did because while I haven't seen Nolan's latest I can safely say this effort from director Tony Gilroy is a fantastic slice of cinema that presents a seedy nightime view of LA not out of place in films like To live and die in LA. Jake Gyllenhall actually delivers one of the most memorable screen psychos in recent cinema as an oddball, sociopathic loner who we firs meet stealing scrap metal to sell and beating and robbing a security guard for his watch. He stumbles across Bill paxton shooting an accident scene and decides on a change of career. His lack of moral compass and desire for self enrichment at the expense of all else pretty soon propels him to the top. God help anyone who gets in his way.
Sadly this one will probably be eclipsed by the Nolan film, its a real shame as this is a phenomenal film that is well worth checking out.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice reviews K.

Gallow Walkers has gone onto the wishlist.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nice reviews K.

Gallow Walkers has gone onto the wishlist.
I was pleasantly surprised by Gallowalkers.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by Gallowalkers.
Not enough to spell it correctly though.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 656-2518_PI_1000025MN.jpg (89.9 KB, 1 views)
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th November 2014, 03:07 AM
Cult Addict

Hellgate

hellgate.jpg

Dem threw down the gauntlet when he said can u get refunds from poundland in reference to this new pick up.

I had to put it on straightaway to experience for myself how bad this film would be, cuz that's the kinda guy i am.

I only really picked it up to see if it was really all that bad.

The verdict?

What the F*ck did i just watch??
Erm i like bad films a lot of the time, but they need to possess that certain something, something that compels you to forgive the ineptitude and enjoy the stupidity, to surrender yourself to going with the flow.
I must admit during the first half an hour i was oddly entertained, a really inept biker gang supposedly in the 50's, a bar that looked to me like it was named 'gays diner' on the sign, a kidnapping that led to the death of the abductee purely because the dad goes apeshit and starts throwing sharp objects about a bit.
The dad who looks like Gomez Addams gets hold of a crystal that makes goldfish mutate and dead turtles re-animate and then randomly explode.
So far so good.

Sadly from then on in everything falls apart, the time periods the film is set in make no sense and the story even less so.
Why there is a town of ghosts, no idea.
Why they want to kill people, no idea.
Why anything is happening, no idea.
Why Gomez has metal bits on his face, something to do with the turtle i guess, otherwise no idea.
They basically seem to have spent the rest of the budget on a couple of number plates for the cars, saying THEHERO and other irrelevent shite and then gone down the pub.

Then again i did find the final moments vaguely amusing.

'Get off the car you son of a bitch !!!'

3.5/10 purely for the beginning insanity.

The Arrow release is going for £39.99 on Amazon. I can live with £ 1, but pity tha fool who pays that price.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 13th November 2014, 06:53 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not enough to spell it correctly though.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.
I blame the late, late evening! Still c+ to me for the schoolboy error!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Ghosts That Still Walk (1977)

A quite bizarre film that focusses a problematic young boy who is undergoing medical and psychiatric evaluation. However, little do the medical professionals know that he is in fact possessed by the vengeful spirit of a mummified Native American Indian medicine man.

Most of the tale is told via flashback as the boy and his Grandma (played by the woman who hangs herself in Airplane! no less) are both separately subjected to hypnosis by the boy's psychiatrist.

It's a pretty dull ride for the most part, but has a strange new-age hippie vibe to it, which for me gave the film a strange draw, and made it hard to get too bored for the most part - particularly during the elderly Grandma's hypnotic session in which we are treated to a fairly long flashback of her and her husband's motorhome being attacked by giant rolling boulders and a chase across the salt flats.

Whilst not very 'good' in the conventional sense, I still got enough out of the poorly and awkwardly titled Ghosts That Still Walk than I envisioned I would.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!