All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2014, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
BLACULA
William Marshall is the titular Count in this blaxploitation re - telling of the legendary vampire. At times camp, funny and scary ( and with a great soundtrack ) this is a much better movie than it has any right to be. Groovy, funky and very entertaining.

ISLAND OF TERROR
Peter Cushing and some dodgy accents star in this tale of invasion of a small island by blobs of porridge with an eye stalk. The make up for the boneless bodies is wonderfully gruesome, but it's all a load of nonsense really. This is the uncut version ( complete with hand chopping ) and a nice print too.
I Remember watching Island of Terror when I was a kid, I frightened the poop out of me! It is now of course laughable, but in a fantastic way. I love the way people freak out at the sight of them when they move at a snails pace, not dissimiliar to Night of the big heat with Cushing and Lee, in fact I would not be suprised if these Blobs were related.
Old 5th November 2014, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brain from planet arous

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415218083.081156.jpg

The film starts with a nuclear scientist and his best friend who find a strange radioactive reading and decide to investigate. Not long after arriving they discover a cave that has just recently appeared. While exploring they find a huge transparent disembodied Brain which takes over the scientist body and kills best friend, he ends up return home with plans of world conquest and the power to destroy things with his mind.

Unknowing to the creature a law office has been dispatched to catch him and takes over the body of the scientist girlfriends dog to keep A eye on him. As silly as its sounds I found it very enjoyable and even a little creepy when the creature displayed its powers. 8/10

World without end.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415218692.058453.jpg

The film starts with the first man mission to orbit Mars losing contact with earth things soon take a turn for the worst when the ship enters a time warp and is flung 500 hundred years into the future. The crew of the ship first think they have landed on a undiscovered planet, but soon figure out they are still on earth but in the future after a nuclear war were the surface is dominated by savage mutants.

While fleeing they find the remains of mankind living below ground. We soon find that civilisation has stunted and the remaining humans are only concerned about bettering there life underground and are to scared to reclaim the surface, the men are all really what can only be described as runts of the litter, so it's no surprise when the women who are all beautiful get all wet when they see our strapping heroes. The crew try too encourage the people to reclaim the surface, but are stop at ever turn by one of the runts who is jealous that one of the women wants nothing to to with him. Eventually they manage to convince everyone to reclaim the surface. Which was half the ending I was expecting but also expected them to find someway to get home as at the begining we see the young family of one the crew men. It reminded me a lot of the time machine, even more so because Rod Taylor is a member of the crew. 9/10

Now watching the disappearance of flight 412 followed by GOG

Decided to post these sci fi films with posters as I find them very intresting and in some case a lot better than the films themselves, it's a shame that film poster of today aren't as interfering as this older ones

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th November 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

FRACTURED - Brought to you by the guy who did the 'Night Of The Demons' remake and that one set in a hospital whose title I can't remember although it was probably 'Hospital' or something. 'Fractured' was a nice surprise, considering Vinnie Jones was all over the cover (and sadly, in the film itself). It's about a man who, suffering from amnesia but suspecting he has some kind of connection to a dark and violent past, goes about piecing together the broken shards of his identity in sleazy New Orleans. Pitches itself as a noirish thriller, but then decides to chuck in a load of "is this a dream / haunting / memory / parallel reality?" twists with demonic looking naked chicks lurking in shadowy corridors. It also seems to have Lynchian aspirations, mainly because it's noir fixated and ultimately quite baffling (is the main guy's reflection in the room with the mirror meant to be the devil or... what?) I like confusing films anyway, so this didn't bother me. It may be that a second viewing would clear some of this up, but 'Fractured' is entertaining enough without recourse to explanation - it moves quickly, is quite atmospheric, has an interesting plot and isn't afraid to throw the occasional gratuitous scalping scene at its audience, who I hope weren't under the impression that this was all going to be about Vinnie Jones doing gangster stuff (although he doesn't exactly play against type here). Recommended.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
FRACTURED -
That's gone onto the old Amazon wishlist.

Great review Frankie.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nightcrawler (2014) - 4/5

Something different and a fantastic performance from Gyllenhaal, well worth going to see.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[REC 2] (2009, Balaguero/Plaza). UK dvd.

In order to show mate, who had rather oddly started with the 3rd of this series! Yes, I've shown him the 1st etc.
Whilst just as manic as said film, this always had the distinction of being more of an "action" film in my memory. This turned out to be slightly askew, as once the fun starts this SWAT team descend into squabbling and indecision, much like their counterparts in ZCF cough. But it still contains more excitment than most other FF films imo. So if the 4th will indeed follow on from this, I can't personally wait.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th November 2014, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Rage (2010)

Mixing the basic plot lines of Spielberg's Duel and a typical home invasion movie, Rage is a film with a lot of ambition but lacking the budget, and i suspect the film making skills to pull it off.

It's commendable that the first hour is set solely on the streets of LA. However it's also here where the lack of budget really hurts as not an awful lot really happens. Yes there is a chase between bike and car of sorts, and lots of steely glares whilst pulled up at traffic lights, but because roads were clearly not exclusively for filming nothing truly dangerous, spectacular or indeed gripping actually takes place.

As the final third kicks off the film switches genres to home invasion. This section is hampered by poor editing, direction and script as it totally fails to create any tension, which, even the worst cases of the genre usually seem to pull off. Despite some nastiness including a rape, the film fails to grab you by the balls, so what should have proved taught and suspenseful ends up as a yawny ho-hum.

The only clever part of the film is the reveal of who the mad motorcyclist actually is. You've definitely got to pay attention at the movies beginning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rage.jpg (99.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 6th November 2014, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rage (2010)

Mixing the basic plot lines of Spielberg's Duel and a typical home invasion movie, Rage is a film with a lot of ambition but lacking the budget, and i suspect the film making skills to pull it off.

It's commendable that the first hour is set solely on the streets of LA. However it's also here where the lack of budget really hurts as not an awful lot really happens. Yes there is a chase between bike and car of sorts, and lots of steely glares whilst pulled up at traffic lights, but because roads were clearly not exclusively for filming nothing truly dangerous, spectacular or indeed gripping actually takes place.

As the final third kicks off the film switches genres to home invasion. This section is hampered by poor editing, direction and script as it totally fails to create any tension, which, even the worst cases of the genre usually seem to pull off. Despite some nastiness including a rape, the film fails to grab you by the balls, so what should have proved taught and suspenseful ends up as a yawny ho-hum.

The only clever part of the film is the reveal of who the mad motorcyclist actually is. You've definitely got to pay attention at the movies beginning.
Agree with you about 'Rage', although I possibly liked it even less.
I was going to ask... I didn't really get the end at all. Exactly what is being revealed? I remember a 'meaningful', lingering flashback to the bit in the car park when he first pissed off the cyclist, but couldn't draw anything from this. I know we're probably not meant to do 'spoilers' here at Cult Labs, but I imagine this one isn't massively significant for most.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Agree with you about 'Rage', although I possibly liked it even less.
I was going to ask... I didn't really get the end at all. Exactly what is being revealed? I remember a 'meaningful', lingering flashback to the bit in the car park when he first pissed off the cyclist, but couldn't draw anything from this. I know we're probably not meant to do 'spoilers' here at Cult Labs, but I imagine this one isn't massively significant for most.
It's the classic scenario of the bike was waiting for another car to pull out so he could park. Said car pulls out and a selfish twat immediately takes the parking place as the car leaving blocked off the bikes way in. Rather extreme case of road rage.

I had a similar thing fairly recently when i took a relative for a hospital check up. I was ready to draw blood but fortunately my relative's appointment was really quick and she appeared before i knew what was happening so i called the other bloke a nice name and we left.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's the classic scenario of the bike was waiting for another car to pull out so he could park. Said car pulls out and a selfish twat immediately takes the parking place as the car leaving blocked off the bikes way in. Rather extreme case of road rage.

I had a similar thing fairly recently when i took a relative for a hospital check up. I was ready to draw blood but fortunately my relative's appointment was really quick and she appeared before i knew what was happening so i called the other bloke a nice name and we left.
Thanks for clearing up that mystery - I thought something similar happened, it's just that the ending seemed to be saying "look, this is dead meaningful", and just made it seem totally inexplicable. Oh well, I can sleep again.
Glad your own incident didn't end up in Poundland!

Like this? Share it using the links below!