All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179670Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2015, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Fly?
I don't know if it was your point Nos but i actually prefer the original to Cronenburgs remake. While that is still an excellent film.
Mojo likes this.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I don't know if it was your point Nos but i actually prefer the original to Cronenburgs remake. While that is still an excellent film.
And i'm starting to prefer The Thing From Another World the more times i watch it, to Carpenter's excellent remake.
Old 29th January 2015, 07:34 AM
Cult Addict

I've only seen Hawks original once, I'll have to give it another spin. Remember even my wife enjoying it so that says something.
Old 29th January 2015, 08:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I was asking Reaper if he preferred the original version of The Fly, which I personally find quite pedestrian and the off-kilter camp performances to be a little uneven in tone.

Cronenberg's remake, on the other hand, is one of my favourite horror/science fiction films.
Old 29th January 2015, 08:55 PM
Active Cultist

Dragon Dynasty

Yes, another SyFy Channel Original Sword and Monster film, although this one is rather better. The premise sounds silly - Marco Polo and his team returning home from their expedition to China, being hunted by dragons sent to kill them before they return to Europe and open trade routes.

Fortunately the direction is solid, acting average or better, storyline sufficient to keep things moving throughout and the dragons look pretty good, setting fire to loads of stuntment in non-CGI ways.

I found this at Poundland and for that money it is worth picking up if you like DTV films. A decent time waster.

My full review, Dragon Dynasty.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Honeymoon.

I won't say much as many I am sure have not got round to seeing it yet. it's good but not excellent,and as it nears the end creates nausea in one scene. 6/10

Theatre of Blood

Madhouse has been my favourite Price film for years (btw arrow REALLY need to blu this as they blu everything else Price it seems) I have fond memories of buying this illegally on VHS when I was about 13 so it holds great memories however,I saw theatre of blood on DVD last week for the first time ever (yes I know shhh) and that has knocked Madhouse into second place for me.

I saw the bare bones dvd & loved it so much I ordered arrow's steelie right away,which I have also now seen in stunning HD.

Price plays a madman (nothing new there) only he does it amazingly donning a series of costumes whilst spouting insane claptrap from excerpts of shakespeare. I am not a fan of comedy in horror it fails in my eyes nearly always,however this film is one of those rare cases it magically interwines I found myself chuckling to myself often. The fact this film also boasts some amazing cast members like Ian Hendry also adds weight to what a masterpiece this film is. The deaths are also very gory for the time. 10/10

The Abominible Dr Phibes & Dr Phibes Rises again

I loved the original again this film boasts a splendid cast Joseph Cotten & Terry Thomas are favs of mine from other films such as Baron blood & Vault of horror. Price looks hauntingly great in Phibes makeup & the 12 plagues of egypt deaths are excellent. 10/10

Not so keen on the sequel tbh not sure we even needed one. I found it more boring & less energetic I can't really put my finger on it but for me it's meh 5/10.

Street Trash

Third time I have tried to love this since the arrow Dvd came out as it's 4th or 5th release? back in the early days of 2009 following the initial 3 macabre,sleepless & Cemetery. I can't understand the love for this film (sorry) to me it is dreadful the dialogue is cringey the acting is beneath contempt & it doesn't work on any level for me or have any redeeming qualities. 3/10
Old 29th January 2015, 11:37 PM
Cult Addict

grabb.jpg

Grabbers

Ok so i understand this film is not mean't to stretch anybody's mind or freak anyone out, but for what it was,ie a throwback to 80's creature features, i quite enjoyed it.
Nice set up, a drunk copper and an uptight newbie. Alien water creatures, appear from nowhere, they are allergic to drunk people so everyone gathers in a pub to get drunk, so far so good.
I liked this a lot, didn't expect much but was a decent way to pass an hour or so. only gripe was it could have done with a bit more gore. If the makers had just pushed it a bit could have been a classic.
All the irish geezers was a bit father ted, but i found that quite endearing.
Fek off, yer fekers.!!
8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 30th January 2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 30th January 2015, 12:08 AM
Cult Addict

I_Bought_a_Vampire_Motorcycle_FilmPoster.jpeg

Ok so i know this film is a bit shite but i kinda enjoyed it.
A 90's relic that has neil morrisey from that men behaving badly sitcom. I'm sure there was a show called Boon with the other geezer in as well.
Besides all that this film is a good natured cheese fest that includes C3PO from star wars as a priest and a talking turd.
What more do you want?
A lot of carry on style innnuendo's ensue but if ur in the right kind of mood it's kinda all good.
Not good in a serious film way, but if ur up for a dodgy, cheap, british biker vampire cheese flick u could do a lot worse, then again if u can find a film with the same credentials then good luck to you.
Basicallly it's not as good as Psychomania but then what is?
7/10 on the cheese-o-meter.

Old 30th January 2015, 12:35 AM
Cult Addict

dollops.jpeg

Ok let's put it bluntly, i like anything that has some kinda redeeming feature, i'll watch any kinda shite as long as it's interesting.
That's why most modern stuff just goes over my head, it's all very shiny, but it's all so generic. big noise, jump shock, dull. dull, yawn.
This film is so 80's, o.k it's kinda predictable, but it's enjoyable. ( a thing missing from most new films)
Loved it. A film that really grows on you. first time i watched it i wasn't that bothered.
Now about 20 years later i loved it. All those creepy toys. nice stop motion effects that evoke childhood reminiscence of Harryhausen and morph type shennanigans.
And in the end it's all kinda sweet, with the reasoning behind the doll murders.
Definately worth watching.
8.5/10

i just had a think.... oh no watch out.
But as to stuart Gordon films this is probably just behind Re-animator and From beyond for me.

Old 30th January 2015, 05:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I love dolls & actually prefer it to Re-animator & From Beyond.

I know I am likely the only one who has that opinion but oh well.

Savage Crossing.

A diabolical boring Aus flick starring Legend John Jarratt & Home & away/Neighbours Craig Mclaughlin. During a mass flood/storm a diner plays host to a "which ones the dangerous one" scenario (where's Ailsa stewart?) but within 45 minutes you'll be asleep so won't gave a damn. John Jarratt is amazing as always but there is nothing the poor guy can do with such a rubbish script & character, 3/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!