DVD:
The Evil/Twice Dead
Sci-Fi Classics
The Slumber Party Massacre Collection

*Signed by Luigi Cozzi
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The first of the Godzilla(Gojira) movies that gave birth to the Kaiju phenomena, unlike the later movies its all quite serious. American nuclear testing awakens Gojira from his million of years slumber, he promptly goes on a rampage, its up to the miltary,a scientist with a world changing and disturbing discovery to try to stop the wee beastie . we also have a sub story of a zoologist who believes the that Godzilla should be studied. Has a strong anti nuclear message which is to be understandable for the period.

Not hard to see how people can find it a little boring compared to the later movies, while I don't find it boring I do prefer the OTT silliness of the later movies with two beasties going toe to toe and stamping around destroying model buildings and vehicles. 7/10

Next up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91IUXRMhswL._SX342_.jpg (49.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd May 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default emperor coogan

Emperor of the North .(1972)
Robert Aldrich depression set action drama not only is it set during that period in American history,but the movie itself has that feel of a film that could of been made in the 1930's starring James Cagney. Instead of Cagney we have craggy-faced Ernest Borgnine as Shack a very mean and nasty railway conductor whose job it is,is too stop all the hobo's and vagrants from jumping on to the carriages of the trains and getting free rides up and down the country. But the thorn in Shack's side is Lee Marvin as A-No.-1,the tramp all the other tramps and hobo's look up to as he manages to evade capture and ride the railway. Then along comes a very young looking Keith Carradine as Cigaret,an up and coming hobo looking to emulate Marvin's A-no-1. Aldrich gives what is on the whole a boys own adventure tale,mixed with small amount of social commentary on what life must of been like for these people who are living totally of the grid. Its a great film with an original premise,(one which must of been influence on the Coens O Brother, Where Art Thou? ) and some fine outstanding performances from the three lead actors .The ending see's Marvin and Borgnine slug it out on the train,for a final confrontation.Make a nice companion piece to Walter Hill's Hard Times.

Coogans Bluff.(1968)
Before Dirty Harry there was Coogan,a tall lanky sheriff from Arizona and not Texas as everybody in the film keeps asking him,and if you have ever seen episode of McCloud with Dennis Weaver then you know where they got that idea from.Unlike Dirty Harry,Coogan is a smug and arrogant womanizer,but like Dirty Harry he has total disregard for the rights of the criminal and the law. Coogan's Bluff is your usual fish out of water flick,Arizona deputy Coogan is sent to the big city after his boss catches him in the bath with a woman when he should of been working,naughty randy Coogan.So off to New York City to extradite villain Don Stroud as James Ringerman,of course he comes across every sort of person imaginable,from hookers to homosexuals to drugged out hippies (obviously Arizona does not have any of these ) and Mrs Fowler an oap who accuse every body she meets with rape. Of course Coogan does stand out a bit,looking amusing like Joe Buck from Midnight Cowboy a year later. Don Siegel delivers a fairly decent cop thriller,but the clash of cultures,Coogan's uptight Cop against the hippy culture and the permissive society seems slightly old fashioned.Overall a very interesting film,if different take on Eastwood's cop persona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emperorofthenorth.jpg (103.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CGLarge.jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 3rd May 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just shown someone else The Void. He liked it. This was my 3rd viewing and I have to say I'm liking it more and more.
Hellraiser had faults as well

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Just shown someone else The Void. He liked it. This was my 3rd viewing and I have to say I'm liking it more and more.
Hellraiser had faults as well
So you compare it to Hellraiser? I'll have to make a purchase this week then.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So you compare it to Hellraiser? I'll have to make a purchase this week then.
Woah Tiger. There are elements of a lot of things in it ..... I'd compare it more with a certain siege film made by a certain "woodworker" (quite cryptic but don't want to spoiler it cough)

Apparently only £7 in Morrisons? If you have one handy that is

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Emperor of the North .(1972)
Robert Aldrich depression set action drama not only is it set during that period in American history,but the movie itself has that feel of a film that could of been made in the 1930's starring James Cagney. Instead of Cagney we have craggy-faced Ernest Borgnine as Shack a very mean and nasty railway conductor whose job it is,is too stop all the hobo's and vagrants from jumping on to the carriages of the trains and getting free rides up and down the country. But the thorn in Shack's side is Lee Marvin as A-No.-1,the tramp all the other tramps and hobo's look up to as he manages to evade capture and ride the railway. Then along comes a very young looking Keith Carradine as Cigaret,an up and coming hobo looking to emulate Marvin's A-no-1. Aldrich gives what is on the whole a boys own adventure tale,mixed with small amount of social commentary on what life must of been like for these people who are living totally of the grid. Its a great film with an original premise,(one which must of been influence on the Coens O Brother, Where Art Thou? ) and some fine outstanding performances from the three lead actors .The ending see's Marvin and Borgnine slug it out on the train,for a final confrontation.Make a nice companion piece to Walter Hill's Hard Times.

Coogans Bluff.(1968)
Before Dirty Harry there was Coogan,a tall lanky sheriff from Arizona and not Texas as everybody in the film keeps asking him,and if you have ever sen an episode of McCloud with Dennis Weaver then you know where they got that idea from.Unlike Dirty Harry,Coogan is a smug and arrogant womanizer,but like Dirty Harry he has total disregard for the rights of the criminal and the law. Coogan's Bluff is your usual fish out of water flick,Arizona deputy Coogan is sent to the big city after his boss catches him in the bath with a woman when he should of been working,naughty randy Coogan.So off to New York City to extradite villain Don Stroud as James Ringerman,of course he comes across every sort of person imaginable,from hookers to homosexuals to drugged out hippies (obviously Arizona does not have any of these ) and Mrs Fowler an oap who accuse every body she meets with rape. Of course Coogan does stand out a bit,looking amusing like Joe Buck from Midnight Cowboy a year later. Don Siegel delivers a fairly decent cop thriller,but the clash of cultures,Coogan's uptight Cop against the hippy culture and the permissive society seems slightly old fashioned.Overall a very interesting film,if different take on Eastwood's cop persona.
Love EOTN. Borgnine scarier than he was in The Devils Rain imo. Great reviews as always btw....

[B]
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Woah Tiger. There are elements of a lot of things in it ..... I'd compare it more with a certain siege film made by a certain "woodworker" (quite cryptic but don't want to spoiler it cough)

Apparently only £7 in Morrisons? If you have one handy that is
No, you can't get out of this one. You mentioned Hellraiser favorably in the same sentence. Don't start backtracking. I'll buy it on Friday then watch it over the weekend.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No, you can't get out of this one. You mentioned Hellraiser favorably in the same sentence. Don't start backtracking. I'll buy it on Friday then watch it over the weekend.
Fair enough D. Just remember my caveat

Enjoy!!

[B]
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Doorway (2000)

A group of college students helping to renovate and clean an old house find it's actually one of the gates to hell.

From the brief summary above i'm sure you'll think Fulci to yourselves, because that's what i did as i was watching The Doorway. The house is Fulci-esq - think The House by the Cemetery - and some of the ideas, imagery and even gore will have you thinking Fulci as well. Referencing others such as The Beyond, Aenigma and even Sweet House of Horrors, and even non-Fulci fayre like Night of the Demons (1988)

There's not a lot you haven't seen before in The Doorway, except maybe having a reasonable sized appearance from Roy Scheider. The film is nicely paced and full of the requisite nudity and blood and guts you'd hope from a film like this.

I bought this for the price of postage purely because it sounded okay and i'm happy to report that it is indeed pretty good. Not brilliant, but entertaining and well worth a watch for those who want some sexy demonic fun and games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doorway.jpg (88.7 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!