All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179665Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sky Riders (1976)

When Robert Culp's family are kidnapped including wife Ellen (Susannah York) by terrorists out in Greece he enlists the help of Ellen's former husband James Coburn to try and find them. It transpires the terrorists are holding them at an eagles nest type fort high in the mountains where all roads and paths can be seen easily making any sort of grouns assault easy targets. Coburn hires a crew of professional hang gliders to help him rescue her from the mountaintop lair.

This action film was completely new to me. I'd never heard of it until i saw 101 Films were releasing it as a blu/dvd combi pack. Deciding it sounded good i took the plunge on a blind buy and luckily i wasn't disappointed.

Whilst the first half hour deals with the usual capture of the family and trying and work out where the bad guys are it soon becomes something new and original removing us from the comfort of our seats when the hang glider team are introduced and giving us a birds eye view of the rocky Grecian terrain. The film culminates in a half hour air and ground assault on the mountaintop lair which is brilliantly filmed and dangerously exciting thanks to the excellent aerial photography. It should also be noted that Coburn quite clearly did his own stunt work hanging off the side of a helicopter as it pursues gliders down a mountainside.

Anyone who enjoys action films should definitely check this one out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPW-93289.jpg (79.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 8th April 2017, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sky Riders (1976)

When Robert Culp's family are kidnapped including wife Ellen (Susannah York) by terrorists out in Greece he enlists the help of Ellen's former husband James Coburn to try and find them. It transpires the terrorists are holding them at an eagles nest type fort high in the mountains where all roads and paths can be seen easily making any sort of grouns assault easy targets. Coburn hires a crew of professional hang gliders to help him rescue her from the mountaintop lair.

This action film was completely new to me. I'd never heard of it until i saw 101 Films were releasing it as a blu/dvd combi pack. Deciding it sounded good i took the plunge on a blind buy and luckily i wasn't disappointed.

Whilst the first half hour deals with the usual capture of the family and trying and work out where the bad guys are it soon becomes something new and original removing us from the comfort of our seats when the hang glider team are introduced and giving us a birds eye view of the rocky Grecian terrain. The film culminates in a half hour air and ground assault on the mountaintop lair which is brilliantly filmed and dangerously exciting thanks to the excellent aerial photography. It should also be noted that Coburn quite clearly did his own stunt work hanging off the side of a helicopter as it pursues gliders down a mountainside.

Anyone who enjoys action films should definitely check this one out.
You had me at James Coburn

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th April 2017, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
You had me at James Coburn
Do you not know the film either, D?

Highly recommended.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Do you not know the film either, D?

Highly recommended.
Yet again
My old man would watch oodles of stuff
Plus we were just across the road from 2 video stores
So were spoilt for choice.
I digress ....

SOLD
ahem
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th April 2017, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stargate: Continuum (2008)

The second Stargate movie which continued where the series left off. Previous movie The Ark of Truth was excellent, but somehow this was even better.

SG-1 attend a Tok'ra extraction ceremony for Ba'al, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, but Ba'al has a plan to escape and what follows is a time travel adventure which turns into an epic battle for the Earth as the Goa'uld attempt a full scale invasion.

Taut and action packed, Stargate: Continuum was a fine way for SG-1 to bow out. Bringing back Richard Dean Anderson, William Devane, Cliff Simon and the no longer with us Don S Davis back onto our screens was a nice touch and very welcome indeed.

As far as the story goes Stargate: Continuum is a gripping, occasionally bloody, affair where everyone has a lot to do and no one is wasted and the final battle is just fantastic. This definitely deserved a cinema release so epic is it in scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stargate_continuum11.jpg (42.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th April 2017, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

The second Stargate movie which continued where the series left off. Previous movie The Ark of Truth was excellent, but somehow this was even better.

SG-1 attend a Tok'ra extraction ceremony for Ba'al, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, but Ba'al has a plan to escape and what follows is a time travel adventure which turns into an epic battle for the Earth as the Goa'uld attempt a full scale invasion.

Taut and action packed, Stargate: Continuum was a fine way for SG-1 to bow out. Bringing back Richard Dean Anderson, William Devane, Cliff Simon and the no longer with us Don S Davis back onto our screens was a nice touch and very welcome indeed.

As far as the story goes Stargate: Continuum is a gripping, occasionally bloody, affair where everyone has a lot to do and no one is wasted and the final battle is just fantastic. This definitely deserved a cinema release so epic is it in scope.
So this is follow on from original Stargate ? (Sequel or what ever you fancy calling )
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 9th April 2017, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jack The Ripper (1976, Jess Franco)

Comedy coppers come in all sizes it seems. From The Untold Story to The Boys In Blue, PC Plod and his ilk are rife.
Detriment to atmosphere doth not enter into it.
Forging ahead with quite a dry 'reimagining' of every one's favourite tourist attraction ( by JF's inimitable standards) and cleaner lines all round, a hallmark of the Dietrich period ...
Not that there isn't any fun, as Lina's dubbed accent attests

[B]
Old 9th April 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hitman (1991, Aaron Norris)
The haircut so unique they built a movie around it.
See babysitting redefined.
Michael Parkes!
Bland mushy ST!

Recommended!!

PS SBU ...

[B]
Old 9th April 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

See while I love Roland Emmerichs original movie the series just never cut it for me.
Old 9th April 2017, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Show Me Love. Agnes (Rebecka Liljeberg) is a lonely and miserable teenage girl living in the dead-end Swedish town of Amal, ostracised from her peers due to an (accurate) perception of her sexuality, and painfully in love with one of her school's most popular girls, blonde bombshell and supposedly boy-mad Elin (Alexandra Dahlstrom), who has no idea she even exists. Their paths finally cross one night, and following a cruel prank that Elin instantly regrets, she goes back to apologise and finds that Agnes may be more of a kindred spirit than she would ever have guessed. This 1998 Swedish teen comedy-drama-love story was a massive success in its home country, actually outgrossing Titanic, and remains a touching, sweet, agonisingly believable and often very funny movie that remains firmly in my top 10 favourite films of all time. Lovely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!