LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2017, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watching
The Octagon (1980)

This is crazed. Did Franco make this? Or was it Zulawski??
Hollow people go through the motions ... the dialogue suggests other senses are at play. Puppets dancing on golden chains ....
Even if it does go all shooty at the epoch ... this searing indictment of repression is top of my BD list.
As this auld vhs looks like its been washed on a high cycle too many times.

It's getting stranger
Declarations of fealty in foxholes
That voice pricking yr conscience
And the best fechting that I've seen fae the original Beardyman

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th April 2017, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Old Dark House (1963)

Truly dire collaboration between William Castle and Hammer studios which is a loose remake of James Whale's 1932 classic and based on JB Priestley's novel Benighted.

It's not scary nor is it funny. Everything about it is in a sorry state from the script to the acting, hell, it even manages to waste Robert Morley in a large but nondescript role. Lead actor Tom Poston is awful, in fact the only one to come out with any credit is Fenella Fielding whose vampish performance provides the only fun in what is a waste of an hour and a half.

Strangely for a Castle film there are no gimmicks at all. Even he probably knew nothing could save this turkey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg william-castle-the-old-dark-house-horizontal.jpg (75.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th April 2017, 11:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Old Dark House (1963)

Truly dire collaboration between William Castle and Hammer studios which is a loose remake of James Whale's 1932 classic and based on JB Priestley's novel Benighted.

It's not scary nor is it funny. Everything about it is in a sorry state from the script to the acting, hell, it even manages to waste Robert Morley in a large but nondescript role. Lead actor Tom Poston is awful, in fact the only one to come out with any credit is Fenella Fielding whose vampish performance provides the only fun in what is a waste of an hour and a half.

Strangely for a Castle film there are no gimmicks at all. Even he probably knew nothing could save this turkey.
I have a vague memory of a viewing on late night ITV ... when they first went '24 HR'... they did show some mental stuff ....ahem. Bloody awful though. So, great review D!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th April 2017, 07:34 AM
Cult Addict

watched Un Chien Andalou last night on BBC Iplayer.
well boy oh boy that was messed up (but can you expect any less from Dali), some memorable sequences, music was great. worth watch i would say
Old 8th April 2017, 08:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's getting stranger
Declarations of fealty in foxholes
That voice pricking yr conscience
And the best fechting that I've seen fae the original Beardyman
Can I get ceefax style subtitles for Demoncrat I fear he may be speaking Aramaic or maybe one to many deep fried mars bars??

Old 8th April 2017, 09:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Can I get ceefax style subtitles for Demoncrat I fear he may be speaking Aramaic or maybe one to many deep fried mars bars??
Its all digital nowadays you have to download them. Or get someone who English but can understand scotch talk, to translate it for you.
I'll ask my mum
Old 8th April 2017, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

KILLER'S MOON – Was nice to revisit this mouldy item of Brit-grot, memorable for its strung out villains who move like quasi-Shakespearian droogs. I'd forgotten, though, just how wonky a proposition 'Killer's Moon' actually is. For the uninformed, it's about a girl's school singing troupe who get lost in the Lake District and hole up in a deserted hotel. Unfortunately for them, a quartet of dangerous forensic patients have escaped from a surreptitious treatment program nearby - “they've been subjected to LSD and dream therapy” and are quite keen on using their new found freedom to do some rape and murder etc etc. Some campers on a really obvious sound stage wonder what all this has to do with a three legged dog. It's really hard to know what to make of 'Killer's Moon' as it's just so 'off' on so many levels. The overall feel is of an utterly threadbare attempt at mild smut with sub-gothic trimmings which has lapsed somehow into a kind of inexplicable surrealism. It's not clear whether this strangeness is intended or otherwise. There's a grim sleaziness to the proceedings, never very explicit but present in tone, with the drooling murderers doing things like pouring sultanas over naked breasts after they've gone around ripping schoolgirl's nighties off. A big deal is made about that three legged dog, but I'm lost as to why exactly. Scenes are clunky, but suddenly punctured by overly knowing dialogue which seems to be either mocking the film itself or its supposed audience - “don't worry, you've only been raped. If you don't tell anyone about it, I won't. And maybe if we get through this, we'll live to be wives and mothers” says one girl to another. Fay Weldon was the director's sister and apparently had a hand in some of the writing, a possible reason for all this pithiness, but also maybe the source of the film's quasi-philosophical meanderings about dreams and reality an' shit. Finally, the soundtrack is totally skronked, and drifts from spooky radiophonics to gothic library music before morphing flippantly into nursery rhyme. Yep, it's a weird one for sure, a film which almost feels like it spends half of its time between quotation marks and the other half scratching its head (you might do the same). Anyone expecting to be rocked by a lightning pace and a zillion thrills will be disappointed, but 'Killer's Moon' is recommended for lovers of seventies Brit exploitation who aren't looking for easy answers
Old 8th April 2017, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sterling words F.

In reply KM is an uniquely British film.
Always just erring on the side of caution.
But a grimey delight nonetheless.

To answer The Inspector's query ...
1st line pinched from VDGG.
The rest were merely my impressions of a very metaphysical bent in the script for yet another tawdry Norris actioner. Film though. One I shall revisit. Not something I could say about Sidekicks

[B]
Old 8th April 2017, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post

fecht = fight.

[B]
Old 8th April 2017, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!