Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2017, 10:45 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

scream_four_ver3.jpg

Ten years after the events of the first film Sidney Prescott returns to promote her new book . As soon as she steps foot in her home town the Ghostface murders start up again terrorizing a whole new crop of annoying collage assholes.

This here is a real mixed bag first off the good the kills look really good granted they are all stabbings but the effects are realistic. Wow that was shorter than i thought.

Now the bad.

The acting is pretty shit and the story is shit the whole idea behind the killings was just stupid. In the original there was a lot of talk of the rules of horror and what to do and what not to do to survive but here every single person is talking about the rules of horror even the bloody cops were at it. Every single person is this film is just so agonisingly stupid that it hurts my brain watching it. Even when Ghost Face was on screen attacking people his victims just didn't have any urgency to escape or even show much emotion at all just way too calm which repeatedly removed me from fearing for the character just left me with an attitude of well if they dont care why should i.

Maybe i missed something but i wouldn't recommend this at all and it saddens me that this was Wes Craven's last film. It really lacked fun i just felt annoyed and frustrated after such a promising start it just went down hill at a rapid pace.

Scream 4 gets a

4/10 just because i enjoyed the kills.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think we should change the title of this place to Mainstream Labs.

Does no one discuss cult movies anymore? Frankie reviewed I Drink Your Blood and The Woman and .... nothing.

Someone dislikes a huge box office crunching movie such as Wolf of Wall Street and we have pages of discussion.

Still at least it's discussion.

Next up Bridget Jones Baby.
On this topic, I haven't even heard of half the stuff Lord Teardrop reviews and frankly he can make any old shit sound fantastic which kind of makes me wonder what any of us mortals could add.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
On this topic, I haven't even heard of half the stuff Lord Teardrop reviews and frankly he can make any old shit sound fantastic which kind of makes me wonder what any of us mortals could add.
Frankie likes his dream like states when it comes to movies. Whether this refers to the films or just Frankie himself i'm never too sure.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 187713

Ten years after the events of the first film Sidney Prescott returns to promote her new book . As soon as she steps foot in her home town the Ghostface murders start up again terrorizing a whole new crop of annoying collage assholes.

This here is a real mixed bag first off the good the kills look really good granted they are all stabbings but the effects are realistic. Wow that was shorter than i thought.

Now the bad.

The acting is pretty shit and the story is shit the whole idea behind the killings was just stupid. In the original there was a lot of talk of the rules of horror and what to do and what not to do to survive but here every single person is talking about the rules of horror even the bloody cops were at it. Every single person is this film is just so agonisingly stupid that it hurts my brain watching it. Even when Ghost Face was on screen attacking people his victims just didn't have any urgency to escape or even show much emotion at all just way too calm which repeatedly removed me from fearing for the character just left me with an attitude of well if they dont care why should i.

Maybe i missed something but i wouldn't recommend this at all and it saddens me that this was Wes Craven's last film. It really lacked fun i just felt annoyed and frustrated after such a promising start it just went down hill at a rapid pace.

Scream 4 gets a

4/10 just because i enjoyed the kills.
You didn't miss anything Nord. Scream 4 is pants. Mainly it was just boring.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

I thought it was great personally. 2nd best of the series IMO...
Old 2nd March 2017, 07:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
2nd best of the series IMO...
I'd agree on this point - however that's not saying much!
Old 2nd March 2017, 07:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
You didn't miss anything Nord. Scream 4 is pants. Mainly it was just boring.
i don't mind scream 4, to be honest i just thought david arquette was what ade it, trying to be a badass but just being bad
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I thought it was great personally. 2nd best of the series IMO...
I think it's possibly better than the third instalment, but the first two are the best – the first one was a groundbreaking meta slasher film and the second cleverly played with the 'sequel rules' to create something which was clever and possibly the equal of the first.

I haven't seen any of the TV series, but want to watch all four films in a reasonably short period of time in order to properly rank them and then watch the TV show. That'll probably be something for the Easter break.
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'l stick with Scream Queens methinks.

Not quite a film...but quite cult imho

Let There Be Light
The documentary on the UK Dark Star blu is a must for any fan of 70s cinema. Whilst it does suffer somewhat at the end, this is as good as it gets with these retrospective critters...even if JC is only heard in voice over cough. The origin of the "alien" is a hoot etc.Good use is also made of the rather creepy ST from the film. Too many highlights (especially if you actually like the bloody film haha). Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:35 PM
Cult Master

df900d60d784b24c359085bac325618c.jpg

Roger and Frank are two close friends with a passion for motorcycles when they head out into the Texas wilderness with their wives for a vacation in their new motorhome for some off road motocross a dream break away from the hustle and bustle of the city . But soon the vacation turns into a living nightmare when they witness a sacrifice during a satanic ritual. From here on out things go from bad to worse when they are followed everywhere they go crazy things keep happening to their motor home every single person they meet is even shadier than the last. Is there anyway out of this living hell.

Brilliant film full of paranoia with barely any relief for the entire running time the characters are constantly looking over their shoulders treating anyone they cross with caution the only people they can really trust is each other and it feels like the whole state of Texas is part of the Satanic cult. Up until the last twenty minutes it has more of a psychological feel and the final act is where it's more action with the couples forced to defend themselves when the threat turns from just warnings to full blown attempts on their lives. I loved the ending fantastic.

My favourite scene was in the bar where the band is just starting to play a slow love song and a bar fight break out and straight away the band abandon the ballad and kick straight into some good ole fashioned country fighting music HELL YEAHHHH!!! Sorry got a little excited there but i love when that happens in those types of scenes

Race With The Devil gets a

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!