Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2017, 10:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, but, Bridget Jones Baby?

I thought the first film was watchable but the second one was truly dire, in fact cringe inducingly so.
Believe me, I watched it with the LOWEST of expectations but it was actually really well written, good jokes and not cringey in the slightest, well, maybe a little bit when they go to Glastonbury but not as bad as Ab Fab the Movie was.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st March 2017, 10:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Believe me, I watched it with the LOWEST of expectations but it was actually really well written, good jokes and not cringey in the slightest, well, maybe a little bit when they go to Glastonbury but not as bad as Ab Fab the Movie was.
That's two films in one sentence i will never watch!
Justin101 and Deadite like this.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:09 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think we should change the title of this place to Mainstream Labs.

Does no one discuss cult movies anymore? Frankie reviewed I Drink Your Blood and The Woman and .... nothing.

Someone dislikes a huge box office crunching movie such as Wolf of Wall Street and we have pages of discussion.

Still at least it's discussion.

Next up Bridget Jones Baby.
It's been years since I saw I Drink Your Blood (or I Eat Your Skin) and agree with every word Frankie wrote about the exploitation 'classic' – it's something I should really dig out and revisit. The Woman is another which I have seen a few times, but not for some time but, unlike I Drink Your Blood, thought it was a very well made, acted, and affecting film.
Quote:

I thought the first film was watchable but the second one was truly dire, in fact cringe inducingly so.
I have only seen the first one, I've heard terrible things about the second, but everyone I know who has seen Bridget Jones's Baby was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
This explains, b_e's lack of reviews then.
Rumbled!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 1st March 2017, 10:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cult is it then?? May also contain spoilers.....

Bloody Moon (1981, Jesus Franco)
I love the main theme used in this movie. Regardless of whether Pink Floyd would have done the ST (and why not? they churned them out at one point of their career...), this rather forlorn guitar piece makes me smile every time I hear it....as I know it accompanies a whole lotta mayhem.
Featuring some of the most cringeworthy dialogue seen outside the last Jack Reacher film imho, (a girl declares "I'm game for anything...as she is being trussed up at a sawmill) it is unfair to focus on one aspect really, as it a all a wacky rollercoaster ride. Incestuous undercurrent? Check! Utter disregard for logic? Check!! Only thing missing from this is a cameo from JF (as a creepy shrink natch).....
Like slashers? Like to see something "different"?? Tough. Whilst this tawdry film is never going to win many awards (Worst Dubbing notwithstanding), I will always have a place in my heart!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st March 2017, 11:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
lNext up Bridget Jones Baby.

Oh no! What have I done!

:-)

Reading the comments here and thinking back now on Wolf of Wall Street, i was mostly enjoying the film until almost until the end. I think that one scene with the cop on the train really just flipped the whole thing up on its head for me. It seemed really personal towards the good guy who worked really hard in an attempt to obtain justice for Jordans victims, only to fail at the court, the final hurdle, because of lawyers and plea deals. Maybe the scene was in there incase any viewers hadn't gathered what an unrepentant arse Jordan really was/is. Can't criticise the direction/acting at all, cause that'll have all been based on the character from the book, which although I haven read, I can assume it's him bigging himself up something rotten. I wonder how Jordan vocalised the train scene with the cop.

Thinking about the "sympathy for the devil" aspect and director manipulation, etc. I suppose it is a well made film about some horrible characters and an unpleasant subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st March 2017, 11:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I think we should change the title of this place to Mainstream Labs.

Does no one discuss cult movies anymore? Frankie reviewed I Drink Your Blood and The Woman and .... nothing.

Someone dislikes a huge box office crunching movie such as Wolf of Wall Street and we have pages of discussion.

Still at least it's discussion.

Next up Bridget Jones Baby.

I'll take on board the "Mainstream labs" crit too. Appreciate it's maybe not fitting with the CL ideal but it was after 1am, all my pals were asleep and I fancied a rant! :-D surely a Scorsese flick can't be judged alongside a Bridget Jones though!!

To paraphrase an old woman - "I've never seen it, but I can imagine..."

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 11:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

I think its about time some people need a good
I can't admit to watching these films for simple reason I tell friends to give their head a shake if they even mention films like these ..
To even think about watching these films is enough to bar you, but even admitting they are OK is defiantly a .

We all watch some bad and rubbish films but there on borderline of sending the heavies round to give your head a shake

These films are more scary than any horror I've ever seen ..
Now you all go into the corner put on your dunce hat and say 5 hail Mary and 7 our father and beg forgiveness. now Im of to watch a documentary on killer kids
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.
Old 1st March 2017, 01:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I'll take on board the "Mainstream labs" crit too. Appreciate it's maybe not fitting with the CL ideal but it was after 1am, all my pals were asleep and I fancied a rant! :-D surely a Scorsese flick can't be judged alongside a Bridget Jones though!!

To paraphrase an old woman - "I've never seen it, but I can imagine..."

Ha,ha i wasn't judging your choice of film for review at all. More that it sparked a wave of chat, whereas Frankie reviewed two cult films and no response from anyone (except me).

I'm always reviewing mainstream films. I was pleased to read your review of Wolf, Mucky. It's good to know not everyone likes it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!