Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2017, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yep, with killer cats and a shit cgi monster at the end.
Oh dear! I have that on my wishlist as it kinda' sounded okay. Time to remove it.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh dear! I have that on my wishlist as it kinda' sounded okay. Time to remove it.
Have you seen As Above, So Below? It is a far better experience if you are in the need for people walking about in the dark. I really enjoyed it.
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Have you seen As Above, So Below? It is a far better experience if you are in the need for people walking about in the dark. I really enjoyed it.
I wasn't struck on that to be honest. Not an awful lot happened. I think i did a review on here a couple of years ago but it's impossible to search for it as the words in the title are deemed too common.

It was far superior to Catacombs which was extremely boring. Shannyn Sossamon and Pink wandering about underneath Paris.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I wasn't struck on that to be honest. Not an awful lot happened. I think i did a review on here a couple of years ago but it's impossible to search for it as the words in the title are deemed too common.

It was far superior to Catacombs which was extremely boring. Shannyn Sossamon and Pink wandering about underneath Paris.
I didn't like that either but mainly because there is something about Sossamon that makes me want to punch her in the face in everything I have seen her in! Did Pink ever act again after it?
Old 20th January 2017, 11:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I didn't like that either but mainly because there is something about Sossamon that makes me want to punch her in the face in everything I have seen her in! Did Pink ever act again after it?
I don't think so.

Did she act during it?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I don't think so.

Did she act during it?
Haha. She died early though...

I also tried to watch that HP Lovecraft animated film for kids but after a great opening with Lovecraft visiting his Dad in an asylum it went super cute and super boring. Even the little MTDSs got bored and they will watch any old crap so we turned it off.
Old 21st January 2017, 07:06 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't struck on that to be honest. Not an awful lot happened. I think i did a review on here a couple of years ago but it's impossible to search for it as the words in the title are deemed too common
Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs - originally posted 20th February 2016 - post #35764, page 3577 of this thread

It sounds way better than As Above, So Below (2014)

A found footage film set in the catacombs of Paris, about a woman's search for the Philosophers stone. She should have watched Harry Potter. After an atmospheric opening, (well following half an hour of nothing that is) in the bone infested tunnels and a breathless set piece where one of the tunnel explorers gets stuck and freaks out, the film meanders into nothingness and a study of personal demons rather than any actual physical manifestations.

Come the final twenty minutes i was just wishing it was over as any interest in the characters or what happened to them had long gone.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st January 2017, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict

Symptoms. José Ramòn Larraz. 1974.

Young Anna is invited to stay at the secluded country estate of a her friend Helen. There's a sweaty groundskeeper called Brady. He's meant to be sinister but he just seemed a bit grubby and sleazy to me.
Not a great deal happens for the majority of the film which feels somewhat like one of the weaker episodes of tv show Thriller.
Now that said, I enjoyed Symptoms. There's a great atmosphere to the film as we see this old semi gothic country house viewed through the trees while the torrential rain endlessly lashes down. There are some creepy scenes that suggest there's more going on beneath the surface that the viewer simply isn't able to see just yet, stuff at the edge of the frame, little noises and such. Despite being a British film it neither looks nor feels like one, in fact everything feels a little foreign, probably a result of being made by Spanish director José Ramòn Larraz who utilises the English countryside in a way native directors might fail. The girls are ably played by Angela Pleasance (daughter of Donald) as the almost otherworldly Helen and Lorna Heilbron as Anna. And the late Peter Vaughan plays shifty groundsman Grady. Now obviously there's more to the plot than this but it seems a shame to go into it. It's not particularly deep or shocking, in fact it's more the journey than the destination. Symptoms reminds me a bit of Norman J Warren's Prey, except I don't have any urge at all to revisit that one and I actually look forward to giving Symptoms another whirl again soon.
Old 21st January 2017, 09:17 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I think i did a review on here a couple of years ago but it's impossible to search for it as the words in the title are deemed too common.
Not that it matters now as Susan has found said review but if you put the whole search term in quotes, i.e. "As Above, So Below" then it should come up in the search.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 21st January 2017, 10:46 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Not that it matters now as Susan has found said review but if you put the whole search term in quotes, i.e. "As Above, So Below" then it should come up in the search.
That didn't work. It returned:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : as, above, so, below"

Instead, I tried looking for the films director and then star, but Mr. Dike didn't mention either in his review, so again I got nothing

Then I tried looking for 'found footage', cross referenced with 'Demdike', and it brought up what I was searching for

Alternatively, I am Demdike's forum stalker, and I have saved every single post he has ever made, and I just looked thru them!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!