Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2017, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beautifully shot and directed and as said elsewhere worth seeing on the big screen. Lee Chandler (Affleck) heads back to his home town after the death of his brother, much to his surprise he is left the legal guardian of his brothers son, the film explorers there relationship and the tragic events the lead Lee to leave the town years ago. Fantastic acting all round ( well apart from Matthew Broderick, but hey it is Matthew Broderick) but especially from the two leads. A film everyone should go and see, also not as depression as I thought thanks to the humour peppered through out the film. Basically the message is life's a piece of shit and time doesn't heal all wounds 9.2/10

He-Man ends up on earth to recover a special key that can unlock anything and was used by skeletorr to enter castle greyskull and defeat the sorceress, with this he can free the sorceress and stop skeletor.He is help by Teela ,man at arms and two human teenagers ( Courtney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeil). Very little in common with the show apart from characters and location's. While Dolph certainly looks the part, he is a wimp compared to how he should be, but like most Canno films its bad but it in a good way. 7/10

Now watching death race (2008)

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th January 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

JIGSAW MURDERS-CR have delivered a good transfer and the lovely Ms Johnson is always worth a gander,but this is a rather average psycho-cop movie.Give me DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE anyday!

THE MANHATTAN PROJECT-If you like films such as War Games and The Last Starfighter,then you'll like this tale of a genius teenager who builds a nuclear bomb!
John Lithgow does his nutty professor bit and the KL disc is good to look at.

THE BRONX WARRIORS-Blue Underground have done a sterling job with this brainless Italian actioner-I've never seen it look so crisp,and I've owned many versions of this over the years.
Looking forward to ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX on the same label now!

DONNIE DARKO-Theatrical cut of course!
When I first saw this on (think it was vhs?) I totally dismissed it in a WTF was that all about way!
Now that I'm allegedly older and wiser I really enjoyed it and for once,agree with all the critic's five star revews!
Think I'll give the Director's Cut a go......

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS-Leone,Eastwood,Morricone,enough said!
FOR A FEW DOLLARS more next!

Wish someone would relase A Fistful of Dynamite on Blu!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

He-Man ends up on earth to recover a special key that can unlock anything and was used by skeletorr to enter castle greyskull and defeat the sorceress, with this he can free the sorceress and stop skeletor.He is help by Tesla, man at arms and two human teenagers ( Courtney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeil). Very little in common with the show apart from characters and location's. While Dolph certainly looks the part, he is a wimp compared to how he should be, but like most Canno films its bad but it in a good way. 7/10

Now watching death race (2008)
I haven't seen Masters of the Universe in years but it was an absolute favourite as a teenager. I'm a little apprehensive as to what it would look like these days.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ze German Blu Ray looks great mate!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I haven't seen Masters of the Universe in years but it was an absolute favourite as a teenager. I'm a little apprehensive as to what it would look like these days.
Cheesy, 80s cannon fun! Is what you get. So if you like Cannon's other films you'll like it.

The picture quality is good especially for how cheap the film was.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

He Man with a shooter!

Old 20th January 2017, 09:16 AM
Cult Addict

Don't look back

Following Bob Dylan on his 1965 tour of England, Don't look back is considered a pioneering fly on the wall rockumentary. It's warts and all so on more than one occasion Dylan himself comes across as something of a berk, however since its the British press he's constantly being an ass to he gets a pass. The music is probably the main reason people come to this and of course the man himself is on great form as one would expect. The selection of performances are carefully selected to represent Dylan at the top of his game and he doesn't disappoint. The stark b&w photography is terrific, especially when Dylan heads north, the stuff filmed in Liverpool & Manchester is great to watch. Overall if your in any way interested in Dylan then the Criterion Blu-ray is a recommended purchase.

The night flier

After the shocking news of Miguel Ferrer's death I decided to stick this on. I thought of Robocop but it's not long since I watched it last, Deep star 6? well I prefer this. I really wanted to watch The Harvest but its not the easiest film to get hold of. I notice the DVD releases have dropped to £10-15 so I might need to invest. I was surprised how few people I spoke to online had heard of it. There had been a big push for the film back in 93' and Ferrer got great notice for it but then it seemed to vanish without trace..
Anyway, as most people are already aware, Night flier is an adaptation of the Stephen King short story and produced by Richard P Rubenstein. The director recently made the decent slasher/home invasion flick Fender Bender.
Ferrer plays an utterly immoral tabloid journalist in pursuit of his latest sensational story. A black plane is travelling around small isolated airports and leaving a trail of bodies in its wake. The victims all have the distinguishing puncture marks on the neck and the pilot goes by the name Dwight Renfield, a mixture of the character from Dracula and the actor who played him in the 30's universal film. This leads Ferrer's character to suspect the flier is someone who believes himself to be a vampire, however as the evidence stacks up it becomes apparent that this might not be just a delusion.
Like with the Harvest, Night flier shows that Ferrer can carry a film as the leading man when given the chance. His character is supposed to be sleazy and unlikable however he's lent enough charm and pathos in the performance to stop the audience from actively hating him. Perhaps the parallel between tabloid journalism is somewhat forced but it still works and the film builds to its climax nicely.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

The night flier

After the shocking news of Miguel Ferrer's death I decided to stick this on. I thought of Robocop but it's not long since I watched it last, Deep star 6? well I prefer this. I really wanted to watch The Harvest but its not the easiest film to get hold of. I notice the DVD releases have dropped to £10-15 so I might need to invest. I was surprised how few people I spoke to online had heard of it. There had been a big push for the film back in 93' and Ferrer got great notice for it but then it seemed to vanish without trace..
Anyway, as most people are already aware, Night flier is an adaptation of the Stephen King short story and produced by Richard P Rubenstein. The director recently made the decent slasher/home invasion flick Fender Bender.
Ferrer plays an utterly immoral tabloid journalist in pursuit of his latest sensational story. A black plane is travelling around small isolated airports and leaving a trail of bodies in its wake. The victims all have the distinguishing puncture marks on the neck and the pilot goes by the name Dwight Renfield, a mixture of the character from Dracula and the actor who played him in the 30's universal film. This leads Ferrer's character to suspect the flier is someone who believes himself to be a vampire, however as the evidence stacks up it becomes apparent that this might not be just a delusion.
Like with the Harvest, Night flier shows that Ferrer can carry a film as the leading man when given the chance. His character is supposed to be sleazy and unlikable however he's lent enough charm and pathos in the performance to stop the audience from actively hating him. Perhaps the parallel between tabloid journalism is somewhat forced but it still works and the film builds to its climax nicely.
Great review, K. The Night Flyer is an underrated gem with some nice gore. Has it ever had a DVD release over here?
Old 20th January 2017, 12:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Great review, K. The Night Flyer is an underrated gem with some nice gore. Has it ever had a DVD release over here?
yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Flier...ds=night+flyer

sure if you look around you can find it cheaper, got my copy for £1 from CEX
mr 420 and keirarts like this.
Old 20th January 2017, 01:05 PM
Cult Addict

There's also an extended directors cut out there if you look on amazon. Tends to be dearer.
mr 420 and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!