Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2015, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict

Zatoichi Challenged

The second film where Zatoichi befriends and must protect a kid while looking for his father. Here Z shares a room with a dying woman and promises to unite the kid with the father he has never met. On their travels Z & the kid encounter a group of wandering actors and discover the area has been taken over by a brutal new boss. This boss also has the kids father hostage! Z must clash swords with the gang as well as a climatic and genuinely tense and thrilling final showdown between Z and a law enforcement officer in the snow that manages to be another standout fight for the series.

Zatoichi & the fugitives

Z ends up staying at a doctors house in a town terrorised by a gang of fugitives. The leader of this gang is the doctors son. Z has several clashes with the gang and does his best to avoid killing them, including some nifty disrobing sword technuiques. However bloodshed seems inevitible.
Old 14th December 2015, 10:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Return of Count Yorga (1971)

Robert Quarry's Bulgarian Count returns to prey on the good folks of California, this time those at an orphanage.

I wasn't as impressed by this sequel as i was my first encounter with Count Yorga. Robert Quarry seemed to be going through the motions at times and didn't possess the charming menace to the same degree as he had done a year previous. On the whole the acting was better though and Mariette Hartley made for a likable heroine.

However the film ups the horror quota coming in as a R -rated film rather than the PG-13 escapades of the original. Two sequences stand out as frightening and classy moments. The first when the Count's vampire brides slaughter a family at the orphanage and then the final twenty minutes which is actually as thrilling a horror ride as i've seen in a good while.
I actually want to see this now based on those scenes you described.
Old 14th December 2015, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I actually want to see this now based on those scenes you described.
I got hammered on Amazon for posting a review where I stated I found the home invasion scene shockingly violent. Straight after the first Count Yorga it is rather explicit given what you come to expect.
Old 15th December 2015, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Turbo Kid. In a post-apocalyptic future (1997, amusingly, seemingly in a nod to T2) a young lad gets by reading comic books and trying to avoid trouble, only to be forced into a fight when he meets a new girl who is then unceremoniously abducted by heavies working for a local tyrant (Michael Ironside). A not entirely unsuccessful attempt to make a 1980s movie in 2015, there's some fun to be had in Turbo Kid - especially the Bad Tasteesque wildly OTT blood and gore - and the dippy chick is cute in a weird sort of a way, but it never really manages to turn into anything particularly special. You might as well just watch a real 80s movie, really.
Love this film. If only John Parr had done the music hahaha

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th December 2015, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #11

Frostbite (2006)

Offbeat vampire film from Sweden and set in Lapland during the always dark winter months. I imagined it would be on the lines of 30 Days of Night but thankfully it was nothing like it, feeling more like Let the Right One In than anything else, but even that is really no comparison.

Occasionally amusing with touches of black comedy Frostbite is a well constructed horror, nicely acted with good production values and well thought out cinematography which really utilizes the ice and snow to great effect.

As far as vampire films go Frostbite was startlingly original at times which is no mean feat in such a well trodden genre. The transformation of a student into a vampire was delightfully done over time, showing his cravings and allergies (garlic) not to mention how his hearing improved and of course talking dogs as well.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91FdqJ22gpL._SL1500_.jpg (101.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th December 2015, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

There is something alluring about the combination of vampires and snowy settings that has come out of the the last decade or so, as most of the vampiric movie history is set in mountainous / forest regions that were not layered in that white stuff, or towns /cities.
You have piqued my interest with this one Dem.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:59 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005) The best of the prequels my only gripe it the final transformation of Skywalker into Vader, It felt really rushed.
Recently went back and watched this and i always taught it was good i actually really didnt like it this time around the acting is so wooden just didnt enjoy it at all only plus point was seeing Vader but even that was not as good as i taught on my first viewing.
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 16th December 2015, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran

Polyester at the cinema with scratch and sniff cards! Possibly my favourite John Waters movie is so manic all of the way through and definitely benefits from an audience. It was a great atmosphere and I haven't laughed so much in ages!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th December 2015, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

in preparation for Saturday night going too watch episodes 1-6 of star wars and the clone wars series. also keeping away from any spoilers etc for the new film
Sam, Justin101, keirarts and 2 others like this.
Old 16th December 2015, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Die Hard, so it's officially Christmas now!

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!