Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2016, 01:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Crimson Peak should be arriving with me today. Again it's one i'll probably watch when all these comments are long forgotten. I only made sure i picked it up now for the slip case. Otherwise i would have waited.
I really can't fault HMV. They are quick to ship and items always arrive the next day once you get the dispatch notice.

Another thing that i like is the packing sticker they put on every item. The Crimson Peak dvd has it on the cellophane around the case and not on the slip case.

Practically the perfect sales experience...if only they had the stock Amazon have.
Sam, Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th February 2016, 03:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Fifth Cord (1971)

Franco Nero plays a journalist with a booze problem (lucky old J&B) who the police suspect is a murderer. Clearly concerned by this he sets out to discover who is killing seemingly random people but leaving a black glove with a finger removed on each victim.

The Fifth Cord is an enjoyable giallo. It's years since i watched the film and i'd forgotten much of it, which is always a bonus when it comes to a rewatch, meaning i didn't know what was coming next nor how the film was resolved. Director Luigi Bazzoni keeps us guessing who the killer is throughout and at times i did wonder if it was actually Nero who was the culprit. Perhaps slightly out of the ordinary for the giallo genre, the victims aren't restricted to being female, the male folk also come under attack here.

The film is technically impressive. Bazzoni is a fine director and is aided by the visually stunning photography of Vittorio Storaro. In fact it's the photography that makes The Fifth Cord stand out more than any one other aspect. Well that and Ennio Morricone's score.

Despite it being enjoyable The Fifth Cord isn't perfect by any means. There isn't an awful lot of suspense, meaning the kills, whilst well done, aren't edge of the seat stuff in the best traditions of Argento, Martino, or personal favourite of mine, Antonio Margheriti.The rest of the cast seem to flit in and out of proceedings. Some such as Rossella Falk don't have much screen time at all but her death, (the one with the most suspense i should add) is rather memorable and well executed, if you'll pardon the pun, with Storaro's framing an absolute delight. It's this haphazzardness of screen time that means aside from Nero there's not really anyone to empathize with.

Luckily Franco Nero, a legend of Italian cinema, holds the film together. He's a natural fit for the alcoholic reporter, his often laid back, laconic style somewhat perfect casting for a role that could be considered cliched in Italian crime thrillers of the era.

Bazzoni also directed the more obscure Footprints on the Moon (1975). A real love it or hate it example of gialli. Whilst The Fifth Cord doesn't compare with that later film it's still an enjoyable example of the genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600full-the-fifth-cord-poster.jpg (85.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th February 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran

That's one which I have never seen but I'm certainly interested in it now, great review!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2016, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's one which I have never seen but I'm certainly interested in it now, great review!
Thanks for your kind words, Justin.
Old 18th February 2016, 05:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
OHMSS is one of my favourites too - Goldeneye is another.

To say that these are worse than Quantum...
GoldenEye is my favourite Bond film, Quantum of Solace is my least favourite, and OHMSS is possibly my second-least favourite :P
Old 18th February 2016, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
GoldenEye is my favourite Bond film
Mine too.
Old 18th February 2016, 06:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Mine too.
When people ask me who my favourite Bond is, I say Pierce Brosnan in GoldenEye. ONLY that film though - for me he looks and acts spot on in that one, but not in the others he did.
Old 18th February 2016, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
When people ask me who my favourite Bond is, I say Pierce Brosnan in GoldenEye. ONLY that film though - for me he looks and acts spot on in that one, but not in the others he did.
In what way?

For me he was pretty consistent throughout in the role. His portrayal didn't particularly change throughout his four film tenure. I agree he was asked by the script to do silly things - surfing in Die Another Day as an example, but that wasn't him as an actor.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th February 2016, 06:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
OHMSS is one of my favourites too - Goldeneye is another.

To say that these are worse than Quantum...
No no no, Goldeneye isn't worse than Quantum! I never said that. OHMSS is though.

Last edited by J Harker; 18th February 2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: B
Old 18th February 2016, 06:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
In what way?

For me he was pretty consistent throughout in the role. His portrayal didn't particularly change throughout his four film tenure. I agree he was asked by the script to do silly things - surfing in Die Another Day as an example, but that wasn't him as an actor.
His performance in The World Is Not Enough is VERY different.

Like this? Share it using the links below!