All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, the 'Villains anonymous' meetings were excellent and, like you, I like the romantic subplot with Felix. Is it wrong to find Calhoun attractive?
No it's not.

Cat in the brain

Really didn't seem much of a story, lucio fulci thinks he might be killing people so goes to see psychiatrist who is actually the killer and has lucio under his influence. But it just seems an excuse to have some very gory and brutal kills. 6/10

Next viewing I will be trying to see what's in the basket.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:47 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Keepposter.jpg cats_1.jpg Dark_Night_of_the_Scarecrow.jpg family-of-cops-569110l.jpg Forced-Vengeance-1982.jpg images.jpg judgment-night-poster.jpg moon0901.jpg MV5BNzMwNzU5MzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQ1ODE1NA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg shoot_to_kill.jpg silver-bullet.jpg Stakeout-1987-Hollywood-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg the-last-stand-poster1.jpg UBifL.jpg

All the films in the above list are great. Sorry i cant go into more detail on each film but im really sick all afternoon and even typing this is an effort sorry.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
No it's not.

Cat in the brain

Really didn't seem much of a story, lucio fulci thinks he might be killing people so goes to see psychiatrist who is actually the killer and has lucio under his influence. But it just seems an excuse to have some very gory and brutal kills. 6/10

Shame you didn't seem to dig it too much - it's actually my favourite Fulci movie. That's pretty much a minority opinion, however. I just loved it from the moment I saw it, it's such a piece of unabashed cynicism, and seems to be about Lucio sneering at his audience with utter contempt. But it's also weirdly sophisticated (sort of, in an 'ideas' kind of way) for a grade z horror flick what with all the self-reflexivity and so forth in amongst the gore and the sleaze. Really odd film in many ways, not really that many like it at all, and I much prefer it to Johnny come lately postmodernists like 'Scream' and 'Cabin in the Woods'
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Well...I've watched the extended director's cut as well now.

Short review (please keep in mind I'm tired. )

"A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather. She retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...."

If this was an anime made by a Japanese crew it would probably get more praise...but it's not.

The main problem is that this was made by a US director for US audiences and the envisioned pg-13 rating does not help.

The whole voice-over and included "message" is obviously there for the mainstream audiences (who seem to have to be constantly told what's going on in a film) and is handled awkwardly (to say the least) as well.

The extended cut features footage where we actually see a "brothel show" being performed (which sort of lightens the mood of the film),more action (some obviously unfinished/lesser quality takes are also included) and what is probably the most important cut scene...the high roller scene at the end which wraps up Baby Doll's story perfectly.

It was probably cut for the pg-13 rating which is a real shame as this works really well.

Overall Sucker Punch certainly has it's moments but also some weaknesses...the film also feels rushed at times and not complete (the missing high roller scene in the theatrical version should have been kept in imho).

But it's probably the best live-action anime adaption style film I've seen.

Deleted "brothel show" dance scene

High roller scene alternate ending (SPOILERS!)

Sounds like by and large you enjoyed it bdc. I just couldn't get past the fact that the huge amazing action sequenced were all her mind and therefore irrelevant. Thing is I like almost everything else Zach Snyder has done. Even that Owl bollocks is reasonable.
bdc likes this.
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

World War Z (2013) No fault of the movie but it was kind of spoilt by my copy freezing every now and then! I think its a firmware problem with my player! First disc I've a problem with! (LG Smart Wi-Fi 3D BP620)
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
[Spoiler]"It's my brother"![/Spoiler]

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Sounds like by and large you enjoyed it bdc. I just couldn't get past the fact that the huge amazing action sequenced were all her mind and therefore irrelevant. Thing is I like almost everything else Zach Snyder has done. Even that Owl bollocks is reasonable.
The problem with sucker punch is it's SUPPOSED to be a feminist tract. The outlandish action scenes with the girls all in kinky fetish gear juxtaposed with the grim asylum scenes are supposed to be a critique of male fantasy images of women in cult fantasy. Trouble is it does not work. It feels like some bloke is trying to prove to the critics what a great feminist he is, except its feminism filtered through the male psyche. The girls are all being sexually abused in the asylum so they retreat to a 'reality' where they are working in a brothel, perhaps a more honest interpretation of their captivity rendered pointless by Snyder actually skirting over the whole sexual abuse thing for the PG-13. Then to escape that reality they retreat to one where they are superheroes. Their costumes they wear in the bordello become superhero costumes and the missions become superhero adventures to regain their freedom from 'male oppression'.

BIG problem is there is a whole extended length of the film where we the audience forget that they are in an asylum. In fact the whole thing becomes muddled and confusing thanks to the multiple layers of psychological reality the characters move through. Perhaps if the bordello stuff had been dropped at screenplay level and the film switched from reality (asylum) to fantasy (superheroics) then it might have worked. Then again Terry Gilliam did the whole thing much better many years ago with BRAZIL. Zach Snyder should have watched that first.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Very well put.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

bdc and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Too many to review, but here is my list so far for my Halloween Horror film challenge.

1. THE VOODOO MAN (1944)
2. THE GORGON (1964)
3. SQUIRM(1976)
4. MAN MADE MONSTER (1941)
5. THE REPTILE (1966)
6. THE BLACK CAT (1934)
7. PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (1966)
8. DRACULA (1931)
9. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
10. THE BEAST MUST DIE (1973)
11. THE HAUNTING (1963)
12. POSSESSION (1981)
13. THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE (1959)
14. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936)
15. FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
16. THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968)
17. THE WICKER MAN (1973)
18. THE SKULL (1965)
19. RACE WITH THE DEVIL (1975)
20. NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)
21. I DON'T WANT TO BE BORN (1975)
22. SON OF DRACULA (1943)
23. THE MUMMY (1959)
24. THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
25. THEATER OF BLOOD (1973)
26. BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE (1958)
27. SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939)
28. THE WOLFMAN (1941)
29. GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)
30. THE EXORCIST (1973)
31. DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1941)
32. FRANKENSTIEN MEETS THE WOLFMAN (1943)
33. HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944)
34. HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945)
35. PHANTASM (1979)
36. DEATH LINE (1972)
37. THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR (1968)
38. DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)
39. MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
40. THE UNCANNY (1977)
41. THE MAD GHOUL (1943)
42. MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933)
43. DR. X (1932)
44. THE MUMMY (1932)

Like this? Share it using the links below!