Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2013, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, I used to have the Tartan VHS years ago. Very sexy movie, and some good witty stuff in there as well. Better than any Almodovar I've seen...
Dunno about that! Matador is an excellent movie and I preffered Tit and the moon and Anguish in Bigas Luna's filmography.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Dunno about that! Matador is an excellent movie and I preffered Tit and the moon and Anguish in Bigas Luna's filmography.
Not a film but im watching Planet Earth by Dave Attenbrough on blu
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I haven't really posted here, I never think to do so as I don't really do reviews - I never know what to say as I find it hard to critiques things when it is all down to personal taste. I also think too much about things. I've had a nice week of film watching so I thought I'd list them. Sorry for being lazy.

Space Dogs (2010) the animated tale of Belka and Strelka the first dogs into space to return alive. Worth it for the real footage of the dogs at the end. I cried.

Witchcraft (1964) part of one of the few Midnite Movies double bills I have that I've been wanting to watch once it got darker. I didn't cry.

The Black Panther (1977) I was really looking forward to seeing this and I wasn't disappointed, an amazing film even though I didn't know much about Neilson, will have to consult my murder almanac. Didn't cry.

The Cat o'Nine Tails (1971) - re-re-re-re-watch for some reason I always forget how much I love this film. Again I didn't cry.

So only cried at one of the films, pretty good going really.
Old 28th September 2013, 04:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Alone In the Dark

Alone In the Dark-Jack Sholders 80's slasher movie forgoes all the usual teen killer pic cliches and gives a bloodless but still very effective mad men on the loose flick even throwing in alot of cod new age psychiatric babble via Donald Pleasence playing the total apposite to his Dr. Samuel Loomis persona.With an unusually top cast,Jack Palance grimacing,Martin Landau sneering and Dwight Schultz,er being abit boring really,a real gem oh yeh lets not forget The Sick ****s song 'Chop Up Your Mother'

Quote:
One of the members of The Sick ****s ran into star Jack Palance years later in the streets of New York. He said to Palance that he was one of The Sick ****s in the film and Palance replied, "We were all sick ****s in that movie."
Old 28th September 2013, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

THE CALL.

What could have been a mediocre, generic slice of Hollywood fluff is lifted up thanks to the efforts of director BRAD ANDERSON. I've been a fan of his work since renting Session 9 many years back, when Blockbuster stocked literally everything and really, really enjoying it.

With the Call he ratchets up the tension throughout the film admirably and the film felt about 30 minutes long. My date, who is not a horror buff, or even a film buff really, enjoyed the film a lot as well so anyone wanting a good film to watch with the missus will be quids in with it as well.

Definitely picking this one up on Blu-ray.
Old 28th September 2013, 06:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mr. Brooks (2007)

Kevin Costner stars as a highly respected businessman in his native city of Portland, Oregon, where he has just been named Man of the Year. Unfortunately for the citizens of Portland he is also the keeper of a horrific secret. Brooks has an alter ego - Marshall (William Hurt) who has returned after two years. Brooks / Marshall is better known to police as The Thumbprint Killer.

This serial killer thriller was both fun and fascinating. I really had no idea where the script by director Bruce Evans would take me next. The film has plenty of twists and turns, yet for a change these seem valid parts of the story, not just chucked in to fool the viewer and insult their intelligence like lesser films seem to do.

The films cast is brilliant. There is real cameraderie between Costner, in his best role for years, and Hurt as his psychotic alter ego. Costner is downright creepy at times even though he's supposedly the one with a conscience. The two are well supported by Demi Moore as a cop tracking the Thumbprint Killer and Dane Cook as a photographer who witnesses a murder.

The film doesn't have the nailbiting tension of say, Silence of the Lambs, but its script isn't meant that way. If i was to compare the tone of story i'd place it with Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang due to its wicked sense of humour. Although the film isn't a horror as such, the violence when it comes is hard hitting and very bloody, jarring the viewer back into the horrific world of serial killing. For a change it also has a highly satisfactory finale.

I really enjoyed Mr. Brooks. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgMr. Brooks4.jpg (90.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th September 2013, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House of lost souls 6.5/10
Cannibal ferox was going to watch it buts supposedly cut to bits so probably wait for another version or import it

The slayer

Fantastic film. Very atmospheric and creepy, will definitely double dip for a blu ray version 9/10

The hound of the Baskervilles hammer

Great adaptation and Cushing makes a wonderful Holmes looking forward to watching the BBC Cushing episodes I bought. 9/10

The last house on the left
My first time seeing this (along with everything else posted) didn't disappoint ,the gang are completely unlikeable and I found myself cheering the parents along as the got there revenge on the killers, I did think they got of easy if I had been in the parents place my revenge would of been a lot more brutal. The music was totally out of place and added to the Uneasiness of the film. 8/10

A blade in the dark

Great gaillo, which is has some good music and use of locations, and the bathroom scene is brutal, another that will pick up for blu ray 9.5/10

Saboteur

Enjoyed it but found the lead a little unconvincing. 7.5/10

Now too decide which shameless release to watch
Old 28th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I visited the Hamburg International film festival this evening to see

Borgman which is, I guess a Dutch home invasion film complete with the usual hard dark Dutch humour. Recommended (I think this is playing a couple of the Halloween film festivals).

Karaoke Girl which combines fiction and fact to take a look at the seedier side of Bangkok.

Sitting in my seat waiting to see Tore Tanzt so I will probably post an update from the train on the way home.

More to follow on my diary thread.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:35 PM
Cultist

Watched Stand by me with the wife and my daughters (12 and 13). One of the better Stephen King films. They loved it (and River Phoenix is cute according to my girls), and so did I. I watched this many times and for some reason it gets under my skin every time. A very good film about friends in your childhood and what they mean to you. And realising they were your best friends ever. Very SK, great story.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
A very good film about friends in your childhood and what they mean to you. And realising they were your best friends ever. Very SK, great story.
Well said, I think it's a great film as well, perfectly judged and not over cooked. I might have kept the title as The Body but how could you sell that to an audience who don't give a damn about Stephen King. We never found a corpse in the undergrowth when we were kids but we definitely headed out went looking for things, searching for things, getting in adventures and the film brings back those long summer days...

Like this? Share it using the links below!