Old 26th September 2013, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE - SHAW BROTHERS
RAW COURAGE - SHAW BROTHERS
INSPECTOR WEARS SKIRTS
BEACH OF THE WAR GODS
bdc and troggi like this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 26th September 2013, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

TWO ORPHAN VAMPIRES: Made just after the director had been diagnosed with kidney failure and one of the most recent of his films it feels a lot like his early films with less of the gore found in LIVING DEAD GIRL and feels very nostalgic. There is direct homage and reference to the pulp fantasy novels of his youth (such as Fantomas) and at the same time a very real and impending sense of death. The two 'vampire' girls are blind by day but can see in blue at night and wander far and wide getting into mischief and feeding from people. It does at least have a sense that the girls are more deranged fantasists rather than vampires, there is a scene where they decide they are ancient Aztec deities after reading a book and they assure one potential victim they are creatures that don't exist. The girls fantasies are somehow more comforting than the potential 'reality' around them... Second time i've seen this and I enjoyed it a lot more.

HATCHET FOR A HONEYMOON.

The unhappily married and completely mental owner of a fashion boutique with very unhealthy mother issues which he is working out by murdering a succession of women in veils. Only till he understands the 'footsteps' in his head you understand. Naturally as a MARIO BAVA film it's colorful and stylish. I didn't realise until hearing the Lucas commentary track that it was written by the same spanish writer of a personal favourite of mine, A BELL FROM HELL.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I fully appreciate the different views on Holocaust, there are convincing arguments on both sides. Personally i just think its Italian schlock, nothing more nothing less.

If you have the opposite view then thats ok by me. We aren't going to suddenly change our minds with a few typed lines on here.
Hope it didn't sound like I was having a go btw. Films tend to have a life of their own when their released and the audience often finds there own meanings, sometimes beyond what even the director intended was the point I was trying to make. It's cool if you didn't see anything there as film is a subjective medium as I wanted to point out. I did see something and i'm not the only one and even then our readings of the film are quite different. In terms of the media we have today (reality shows, big brother,) I think its a film that still feels relevant today.
troggi likes this.
Old 27th September 2013, 08:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Had a very bizarre hilarious night at a friends yesterday.

Somehow Space Jam was brought up, so we started playing the theme from that while we were playing GTA 5, and somehow managed to find a 10 hour version, which was kept going quiet in the background for 5 hours and 48 minutes before the browser crashed, so that was in the background the whole time up until we watched the actual movie.

After GTA, we watched the Suspiria blu ray, automatically converted to 3D on his TV with fluid motion on and thanks to the 3D, extra contrast boosting. Quite the hoot, even if the auto 3D was a tad dizzying at time. Also, thanks to the boosted contrast, in the scene where Susie's friend if walking down the hallway before she is attacked from behind with the razor, I never ever noticed the silhouette with glowing eyes she walks past, despite seeing it 20+ times. Actually scared me! Plus a couple of quiet scenes had Space Jam lyrics relate to events on screen which was quite humorous.

The Turbo Power Rangers Movie came next. Jesus Christ. Quit 30 minutes, was no where near as good as it was when I was about 4. Avoid.

Then as soon as we put the Space Jam tape in the player, the browser crashed, which must have been a sign. Sure enough, Space Jam was a lot better than the last time I saw it. I absolutely loved it this time around, and will have to check out the US blu ray at some point.

All in all, a very bizarre yet entertaining evening.

Now, bring on the Arrow announcements!
bdc and troggi like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 27th September 2013, 08:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Evil Dead (2013) Groovy! Not really! Typical horror with nowt new really! Was sat there thinking any minute now we're going to get a Bruce Campbell cameo and there wasn't any...until!
Old 27th September 2013, 09:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Evil Dead (2013) Groovy! Not really! Typical horror with nowt new really! Was sat there thinking any minute now we're going to get a Bruce Campbell cameo and there wasn't any...until!
I can never understand why Bruce Campbell did not became a big movie star. Although I'm sure he has a great life making small modest films rather than big studio gigs...
Old 27th September 2013, 04:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Did you not find there was a complete lack of tension, suspense and even humor? I found the evil dead remake somewhat anemic which is ironic given the amount of grue..
JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 27th September 2013, 04:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Did you not find there was a complete lack of tension, suspense and even humor? I found the evil dead remake somewhat anemic which is ironic given the amount of grue..
I found it's one of those films which Nigel Floyd has categorised 'cattle prod' cinema, so in place for cheap scares, not anything within the narrative which truly unsettles you.

Mark Kermode did a film blog about it not so long ago:

BBC - Blogs - Kermode Uncut - Cattle Prod Cinema
keirarts, JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 27th September 2013, 05:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I found it's one of those films which Nigel Floyd has categorised 'cattle prod' cinema, so in place for cheap scares, not anything within the narrative which truly unsettles you.

Mark Kermode did a film blog about it not so long ago:

BBC - Blogs - Kermode Uncut - Cattle Prod Cinema
I didn't even think it was on par with insidious or sinister. I agree they use cheap tactics, but they use them well. I've compared them in the past to ghost train rides. Sure I appreciate slow burning horror like Kill list, Zeder or Wicker man. But as a cheap fun thrill these films sufficed. Evil Dead just left me bored.
Old 27th September 2013, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Stanley at blood castle

Do you like snakes?do you like John Carradine as a butler?I had my own grindhouse double bill,and I did'nt have to spend millions to make the film look worn and old like Tarantino and Rodriguez does,Mill Creek does it for free.But was I entertained,did I have fun,yes.Stanley is a terrific piece of sweaty nonsense by William Grefe he of Death Curse of Tartu.Blood of Draculas Castle,well I like Al Adamson.

Like this? Share it using the links below!