Death Smiles on a Murderer (1973)

*** out of *****

Bad Neighbours (2014)

*** out of *****

Bad Neighbours 2 (2016)

** out of *****

Madman (1981)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th January 2017, 07:59 AM
Cult Addict

The last dragon

A young martial arts students completes his studies with his master and is told there is one more master he must consult before he can achieve the ultimate form 'the glow'. This quest is put in jeopardy by his burgeoning love for a musician/producer who is being hassled by gangsters. He's also getting hassled by another martial artist, sho nuff the shogun of Harlem.
The last dragon is a ton of fun. Its a hybrid of 80's cheese, martial arts and blaxploitation that is entertaining from start to finish. Its got lots of humour but the martial arts scenes are well realised. The Blu-ray is great quality and worth picking up.
Old 19th January 2017, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Near Dark (1987)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th January 2017, 02:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The last dragon

A young martial arts students completes his studies with his master and is told there is one more master he must consult before he can achieve the ultimate form 'the glow'. This quest is put in jeopardy by his burgeoning love for a musician/producer who is being hassled by gangsters. He's also getting hassled by another martial artist, sho nuff the shogun of Harlem.
The last dragon is a ton of fun. Its a hybrid of 80's cheese, martial arts and blaxploitation that is entertaining from start to finish. Its got lots of humour but the martial arts scenes are well realised. The Blu-ray is great quality and worth picking up.
Bruce Leroy Vs the Shogun of Harlem! Can you dig iit!?!
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th January 2017, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict

The man from Hong Kong
A hard boiled cop from Hong Kong (Jimmy wang yu from one armed boxer and master of flying guillotine.) heads to Australia for the extradition of a heroin smuggler (an early role for Sammo Hung) . When the smuggler is assassinated Jimmy decides to track down the mr big of the operation (played by George Lazenby). In the process he goes on a bloody and explosive kung-fu rampage through Australia's underworld.
An Australian / Golden Harvest co-production there is a suggestion on IMDB that Jimmy Wang yu had some collaboration on the direction with Brian Trenchard-smith, and the superb marial arts set pieces suggest the collaboration of someone experienced in choreographing martial arts scenes. However, given his great work on other films its also probable that smith was responsible for everything. Either way this is a first-rate film that highlights the best of Australian stunt work, a superbly trashy exploitation plot line and some terrific martial arts scenes. It's even kudos to the actor that Lazenby allowed himself to be set on fire in one climactic scene.
If you've not got the Australian disc from Umbrella I highly recommend it. The transfer is stunning and theres some great bonus features. On top of this we also get a bunch of extra films chucked in including the entertaining stunt rock.
Old 19th January 2017, 02:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone seen I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House? I watched it a couple of days ago on Netflix and can't stop thinking about it. It's a ghost story that sort of lingers, it's there but it isn't, much like its subject matter. There's very little story, it's mostly execution and style, and undoubtedly many will find it pretentious and overtly arty, but it sets a mood that you just can't shake. A slow burn without the typical denouement of one. It creates a dread-filled yet melancholy atmosphere, but makes little attempt to fully hold the attention of the viewer. I wavered so much when rating it for Letterbox'd that I actually rewatched the final 25 minutes. I just couldn't decide between a 2 or a 4. Eventually I copped out and marked it a 3, but it's not a 3. The final image is haunting, I just can't decide whether it's genius or hollow.

I'm going to watch director Oz Perkins' prior film The Blackcoat’s Daughter (also known as February) tonight and see if that has any bearing on my thoughts. It's very rare I'm wishy-washy on how I feel about a movie, I was curious if anyone here had seen it and hearing their feelings on it.
Old 19th January 2017, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Anyone seen I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House?
Oddly enough I attempted to add this to my Love Film rental list last night as it sounded interesting (plus you recently logging it on Letterboxd reminded me of its existence!). Unfortunately they haven't got it available to rent as yet.
Old 19th January 2017, 03:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Oddly enough I attempted to add this to my Love Film rental list last night as it sounded interesting (plus you recently logging it on Letterboxd reminded me of its existence!). Unfortunately they haven't got it available to rent as yet.
I think it's a Netflix exclusive. I have no idea if it's just acquired by them or was commissioned by them, or if that even makes a difference for its future availability. After seeing another Netflix exclusive, Mike Flanagan's Hush, I really wanted to buy it and add it to my collection, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Some of their exclusive TV shows get DVD / Blu-ray releases I'm just not sure what the distinction is.
Old 19th January 2017, 03:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I think it's a Netflix exclusive. I have no idea if it's just acquired by them or was commissioned by them, or if that even makes a difference for its future availability. After seeing another Netflix exclusive, Mike Flanagan's Hush, I really wanted to buy it and add it to my collection, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Some of their exclusive TV shows get DVD / Blu-ray releases I'm just not sure what the distinction is.
Damn. Hopefully it will see a disc release somewhere at some point in the near future. I think the same must be true for The Autopsy of Jane Doe, another one I really want to check out.
BAKA likes this.
Old 19th January 2017, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Damn. Hopefully it will see a disc release somewhere at some point in the near future. I think the same must be true for The Autopsy of Jane Doe, another one I really want to check out.
Don't think I've heard of that. I'll add it to my watchlist!

Like this? Share it using the links below!