All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2016, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Adventures of a Private Eye (1977)

The second in the Adventures of trilogy this time starring Christopher Neil as a junior private investigator taking a case involving blackmail from saucy Suzy Kendall.

Neil seems far more suited to the role than Barry Evans from Adventures of a Taxi Driver. The script from Michael Armstrong also seems a lot more fun, in fact gone completely are the kitchen sink elements from that film and in it's place are even more raunchy adventures including Jon Pertwee as a super sleuth who definitely keeps the British end up and Adrienne Posta who does a remarkable take on Liza Minnelli from Cabaret in a sexy burlesque routine.

Brit thesps that pop up include Harry H Corbett (Tits!), Ian Lavender, Diana Dors and Willie Rushton.

Recommended.

Love the film's Spanish theatrical poster shown below.
Old 13th December 2016, 07:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Shivers. A luxury apartment complex becomes a terrifying trap when a parasite begins infecting the residents and turning them into lust-fuelled maniacs in this creepy weirdo mid 70s chiller that was the feature debut of famed horror director David Cronenberg. It's obviously a low-budget flick, but equally obvious is Cronenberg's gift for conjuring an atmosphere of the bizarre and of brooding menace and his fascination with all things creepy and disturbing.
The 70s were weird, man...
Old 13th December 2016, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Donnie Darko, small amount I've watched think I'm going really enjoy it. Sorry Susan !
Old 13th December 2016, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watching Donnie Darko, small amount I've watched think I'm going really enjoy it. Sorry Susan !
Don't apologise man!!
Old 13th December 2016, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Don't apologise man!!
Just finished, excellent part king,Spielberg, twilight zone and Philip K Dick crossed with john Hughes 80s high school film. Was glued to the screen from beginning to end, if it wasn't so late I would watch the directors cut straight after. 9.5/10
Old 13th December 2016, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just finished, excellent part king,Spielberg, twilight zone and Philip K Dick crossed with john Hughes 80s high school film. Was glued to the screen from beginning to end, if it wasn't so late I would of watched the directors cut straight after. 9.5/10
So, whats it all about then?
Old 13th December 2016, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So, whats it all about then?
I'm going to watch it again before I make my mind up completely.

Was this it for the director, was he a one hit wonder or did he do anything else as good? Was going to watch the documentary about the film but at 90 minutes I'll wait until after ive seen the directors cut.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Was this it for the director, was he a one hit wonder or did he do anything else as good? Was going to watch the documentary about the film but at 90 minutes I'll wait until after ive seen the directors cut.
He made The Box which i thought was rubbish and Southland Tales which i haven't seen but is apparently a Marmite movie.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Richard Kelly's next two films were Southland Tales and The Box. The Box has a great premise but ultimately fell up its own arse. Never seem Southland Tales.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Southland Tales is something of a glorious mess. There's some good stuff but none of it really hangs together.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!