Old 28th January 2017, 03:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting review, Nos.

I can do without the saccharine, it's what ruined The Pacific for me. Also i can do without Vince Vaughn f'in and blinding for an hour. It's one of the reasons i don't watch Full Metal Jacket very often. Ermey soon begins to grate when you've seen it once already.

I doubt i'll bother with it now.
Vince Vaughn is actually far better than I expected and his acting is not all out of place, nor is the character a caricature – it's just that those sequences felt a bit clichéd. If you do have time and any inclination to watch Hacksaw Ridge, I would do so at the cinema because of the sheer scale and AV bombardment of the battle sequences. I would just prepare yourself for the saccharine back story which is even more heavy-handed than Steven Spielberg used in Saving Private Ryan.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Vince Vaughn is actually far better than I expected and his acting is not all out of place, nor is the character a caricature – it's just that those sequences felt a bit clichéd. If you do have time and any inclination to watch Hacksaw Ridge, I would do so at the cinema because of the sheer scale and AV bombardment of the battle sequences. I would just prepare yourself for the saccharine back story which is even more heavy-handed than Steven Spielberg used in Saving Private Ryan.
I'll probably give it a go when it hits a fiver on dvd. I do like modern war films. From Saving Private Ryan and Windtalkers to The Thin Red Line and Letters From Iwo Jima with prety much everything inbetween...including Pearl Harbor.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'll probably give it a go when it hits a fiver on dvd. I do like modern war films. From Saving Private Ryan and Windtalkers to The Thin Red Line and Letters From Iwo Jima with prety much everything inbetween...including Pearl Harbor.
Fair enough.
Old 28th January 2017, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Excellent, not going into the details of the film will just say what's knowing from the trailer, Renton returns after 20 years after betraying his friends and we find out what they have been up to all the time and what's happened to them. Captures the spirt of the original and updates it for modern society. Its a joy to see the gang again and it was laugh out loud funny in places. Look out for the shallow grave reference/Easter egg. 9/10

Its 1690 all the the Catholics are dead! ( you'll get it when you see it)
Old 28th January 2017, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Red Hill (2010)

Excellent contemporary Australian western that utilizes the best elements from classic revenge westerns such as High Plains Drifter adding it's own revisionist touches to create the best example of a modern day western i've seen in a long time.

Brutal and eye catching in it's effectiveness, Red Hill is a simple tale of a young sheriff (Ryan Kwanten of True Blood) who takes a post in a small Victoria town in the grip of winter. He soon learns that a convicted killer has escaped from jail and is returning to Red Hill to wreak his revenge on those who put him away.

In truth it's nothing that hasn't been done before but director Patrick Hughes gives the film an almost poetic feel to it with it's slow build up that gradually allows suspense to seep through until the grizzled killer (an excellent Tom E Lewis) shows up and all hell breaks loose in the sleepy town. The setting took me by surprise. I didn't know it was an Australian production during the first few minutes and mistook the Victoria location for Alaska or British Columbia, so unlike a typical Australian western it is.

I really enjoyed this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redhill.jpg (84.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th January 2017, 06:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Red Hill (2010)

Excellent contemporary Australian western that utilizes the best elements from classic revenge westerns such as High Plains Drifter adding it's own revisionist touches to create the best example of a modern day western i've seen in a long time.

Brutal and eye catching in it's effectiveness, Red Hill is a simple tale of a young sheriff (Ryan Kwanten of True Blood) who takes a post in a small Victoria town in the grip of winter. He soon learns that a convicted killer has escaped from jail and is returning to Red Hill to wreak his revenge on those who put him away.

In truth it's nothing that hasn't been done before but director Patrick Hughes gives the film an almost poetic feel to it with it's slow build up that gradually allows suspense to seep through until the grizzled killer (an excellent Tom E Lewis) shows up and all hell breaks loose in the sleepy town. The setting took me by surprise. I didn't know it was an Australian production during the first few minutes and mistook the Victoria location for Alaska or British Columbia, so unlike a typical Australian western it is.

I really enjoyed this
Great little film Dem.
Old 28th January 2017, 06:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Great little film Dem.
Certainly is. It was one i picked up (with slipcase) from Poundland with the horrors in early October.
Old 28th January 2017, 07:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Certainly is. It was one i picked up (with slipcase) from Poundland with the horrors in early October.
I got the blu from CEX for something like £2.50 early last year.
Old 29th January 2017, 12:47 AM
Cult Addict

Christine

Christine-Blu-Ray-UK.jpg

Bought the Powerhouse blu the other day, it felt like a necessity, i'd read on here about a cut down supermarket sweep version and really wanted the Special edition which has apparently been shifting more units than expected.
Didn't want to miss out on this.
It may not be Carpenters most thrilling film but there's something about this one i really enjoy.
I first saw this aged about 12 and i really connected to the outsider that can't fit in vibe and the way he turns himself into a cool badass after buying Christine. O.k watching it now he's very self centred and a bit of a prick but i can see from his point of view that he's obsessed by his first car and forms a symbiotic relationship with it, so much so that when others reject it, he feels wounded and rejects them.
And i think that's really what makes this film work,the relationship between the nerd and the car, and the effect it has on the other people in his life.
It may be a film about a possessed killing car (and on paper that shouldn't really work at all), but really it's all about relationships.
All the kids in this film do really well and performances seem natural, add to this the great 50's rock and roll/Carpenter synth pulsing score and some really good photography and you have a really entertaining film.
Always loved the scene where Christine first repairs herself and totally fell in love with the Plymouth Fury car when i first watched this.
That's the only downside of the film, the fact that you see so many beautiful antique cars trashed.
On top of that we have a few great scenes with Roberts Blossum from Deranged and the always entertaining Harry Dean Stanton, so how can you go wrong.
The blu looks spanking and comes with a load of extras. Commentary, mini docs, deleted scenes and trailers.
Still a great,entertaining watch that i always enjoy.
Recommended 8.5/10
Christine+movie.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th January 2017, 07:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Christine

Attachment 186349

Bought the Powerhouse blu the other day, it felt like a necessity,
Attachment 186350
Nice review nos42. I'm hoping tomorrow that the latest Indicator releases Ghosts of Mars and Vampires will be included in HMV's 2 for £25 deal and I'll pick Christine up with one of those two. Like you've said it feels like a necessity.

Like this? Share it using the links below!