Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2018, 07:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Night Stalker. A killer is stalking Las Vegas, leaving his victims completely drained of blood and investigative reporter Carl Kolchak (the great Darren McGavin) is soon convinced that the killer is not just some madman who thinks he's a vampire but an actual real life creature of the night. This early 70s US TV movie that led to a sequel movie and eventually a TV series, which in turn later inspired The X Files, stands up very well and is very entertaining and spooky fun, with McGavin a hoot as the irascible reporter who just can't help getting up the noses of anyone in authority.
Old 7th January 2018, 08:36 AM
Cult Addict

The Fly (1958)
A mysterious death of a man in a hydraulic press, leads to all fingers pointing to the victims wife. She admits to doing it and is also obsessed with house flies. It turns out her husband was experimenting with matter transportation but when moving himself; his matter was merged with a house fly.
First time I have watched this in years. It still stands out, the effects are great and the story is entertaining as well as some fantastic performances.
9/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2018, 08:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bladerunner 2049.

I'll get back to you shortly. After I stop laughing. Bonny mind
If I had Ana de Armas on tap .... I'd never leave the house

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th January 2018, 12:05 PM
Cult Addict

War of the Worlds
A meteor lands near a small town and everyone from the town goes to investigate and discover it's highly radioactive. What comes out are martians who set to destroy mankind with heat rays. Mankind do what they can to stop the invasion.
I strongly prefer this to the tom cruise version. I think it's one of my favourite 50s sci fi movies and one of the reasons is the martians themselves and their vehicles.
9/10

Old 7th January 2018, 12:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
War of the Worlds
A meteor lands near a small town and everyone from the town goes to investigate and discover it's highly radioactive. What comes out are martians who set to destroy mankind with heat rays. Mankind do what they can to stop the invasion.
I strongly prefer this to the tom cruise version. I think it's one of my favourite 50s sci fi movies and one of the reasons is the martians themselves and their vehicles.
9/10
Those Martian invaders wouldn't be able to get past me at the moment. I'd stop them dead in their tracks.
Old 7th January 2018, 12:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Those Martian invaders wouldn't be able to get past me at the moment. I'd stop them dead in their tracks.
nice one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th January 2018, 01:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well don't worry, we'll put you on the front line and you cough and sneeze them to death

Old 7th January 2018, 02:55 PM
Cult Addict

Invaders From Mars
A martian ship lands in a small town near a family home; a father goes to investigate and returns back abnormal after this the majority of the town begins changing, it comes down to the fathers son and the school nurse to find out what's happening and prevent the martians from taking over the world.
Cannons remake of this fifties classic has some really good special affects however it seems to lack the sense of paranoia that came with the original. Despite not being Tobe Hoopers best film (give me Lifeforce anyday). It's still an enjoyable watch.
7.5/10

Old 7th January 2018, 08:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Howl. An evening commuter train breaks down in the middle of an isolated woodland area and passengers and skeleton crew soon find themselves under attack by a rampaging werewolf. Bloody British Rail, eh? This is the second time I've seen this 2015 British base under siege horror flick, and I enjoyed it just as much, if not even more. Great fun. A howl, even.
Old 7th January 2018, 08:41 PM
Cult Addict

The Fifth Element
A group of aliens take some ancient artifacts from an Egyptian temple and advise that they will return when darkness comes. 300 years later that darkness appears, and its a race against time to defeat it.
Ultimately Luc Bessons sci fi is great, some campy moments but is enjoyable (even if Chris Tucker pisses me off). But nonetheless well paced and I can also understand why Jodorowsky tried to sue Besson, but meh.
8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!