Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree107062Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #44861  
Old 8th January 2018, 01:20 PM
bleakshaun's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burntisland
Default

The Brides of Dracula
A woman going to a school gets abandoned in a village, she gets offered a room for the night by a baroness, she frees her son and unwittingly releases a vampire who turns an innocent wench into a vampire. Van Helsing comes and then has to stop the vampires.
It's not too bad, first time I've ever seen this, Peter Cushing is the only thing that kept me going through this movie, but I wouldn't say it's terrible though.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
__________________
We can't go that way, we must go through this scary apartment building..............
WHERE THE DEVIL LIVES!!!!!!!! HE HASN'T PAID HIS RENT THIS MONTH!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #44862  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:05 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Baron
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Brides of Dracula
A woman going to a school gets abandoned in a village, she gets offered a room for the night by a baroness, she frees her son and unwittingly releases a vampire who turns an innocent wench into a vampire. Van Helsing comes and then has to stop the vampires.
It's not too bad, first time I've ever seen this, Peter Cushing is the only thing that kept me going through this movie, but I wouldn't say it's terrible though.
6/10
You stick with your Mechabollocks vs Gonads films, bleakshaun.

Brides of Dracula is excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #44863  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:13 PM
bleakshaun's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burntisland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You stick with your Mechabollocks vs Gonads films, bleakshaun.

Brides of Dracula is excellent.
*sigh* if my chest wasn't playing up, I may have enjoyed it more, might watch it later on this year.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
__________________
We can't go that way, we must go through this scary apartment building..............
WHERE THE DEVIL LIVES!!!!!!!! HE HASN'T PAID HIS RENT THIS MONTH!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #44864  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:15 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You stick with your Mechabollocks vs Gonads films, bleakshaun.



Brides of Dracula is excellent.

Agreed, obviously not as good as Dracula (1958), but still a great entry in the series
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #44865  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:28 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Baron
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Well, low and behold The Great Silence was on Movies4Men this morning.

Quite possibly cut, i'm not sure, there were still bullets to heads and bloody hands on show. However despite having five minute ad breaks every 15 minutes (mercifully they left the final half hour unscathed though) i could really appreciate how good Sergio Corbucci's film is.

Brilliantly photographed in snowy Utah landscapes mean it's immediately different to the majority of dust bowl spaghetti westerns. Add to this a hero - Jean-Louis Trintignant - who's mute throughout, a superb turn from Klaus Kinski (Possibly his best i've seen) as the bounty killer, Loco, real characters, not just typical toothless, laughing spag clowns and one of the most downbeat finales i can remember - Kill List is practically a comedy in comparison - and you have one mighty fine and original Italian western.

I definitely need to own this on disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THE-GREAT-SILENCE_US_POSTER.jpg (96.4 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
  #44866  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:35 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

I wonder if the snowy setting of Tarantinoís The Hateful Eight was inspired by this film
keirarts likes this.
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #44867  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:37 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Baron
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I wonder if the snowy setting of Tarantinoís The Hateful Eight was inspired by this film
Could be. I'm sure someone a few days ago said he used music from The Great Silence in that film. Don't quote me on that though.
keirarts likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #44868  
Old 8th January 2018, 02:45 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Could be. I'm sure someone a few days ago said he used music from The Great Silence in that film. Don't quote me on that though.

Iíve just checked IMDb and it says he said his main influences were Reservoir Dogs and The Thing, I assume because the majority of the action takes place in one location in all three films.
Morricone scored both The Hateful Eight and The Great Silence, (and the Thing obviously) so itís possible he self-plagiarised when composing the score
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #44869  
Old 8th January 2018, 04:03 PM
J Harker's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest South Wales
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well, low and behold The Great Silence was on Movies4Men this morning.

Quite possibly cut, i'm not sure, there were still bullets to heads and bloody hands on show. However despite having five minute ad breaks every 15 minutes (mercifully they left the final half hour unscathed though) i could really appreciate how good Sergio Corbucci's film is.

Brilliantly photographed in snowy Utah landscapes mean it's immediately different to the majority of dust bowl spaghetti westerns. Add to this a hero - Jean-Louis Trintignant - who's mute throughout, a superb turn from Klaus Kinski (Possibly his best i've seen) as the bounty killer, Loco, real characters, not just typical toothless, laughing spag clowns and one of the most downbeat finales i can remember - Kill List is practically a comedy in comparison - and you have one mighty fine and original Italian western.

I definitely need to own this on disc.
Glad you enjoyed it Dem. It's a fantastic film and one that deserves to be seen properly.
Reply With Quote
  #44870  
Old 8th January 2018, 10:17 PM
profondo rosso's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cheshire, Northwich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well, low and behold The Great Silence was on Movies4Men this morning.

Quite possibly cut, i'm not sure, there were still bullets to heads and bloody hands on show. However despite having five minute ad breaks every 15 minutes (mercifully they left the final half hour unscathed though) i could really appreciate how good Sergio Corbucci's film is.

Brilliantly photographed in snowy Utah landscapes mean it's immediately different to the majority of dust bowl spaghetti westerns. Add to this a hero - Jean-Louis Trintignant - who's mute throughout, a superb turn from Klaus Kinski (Possibly his best i've seen) as the bounty killer, Loco, real characters, not just typical toothless, laughing spag clowns and one of the most downbeat finales i can remember - Kill List is practically a comedy in comparison - and you have one mighty fine and original Italian western.

I definitely need to own this on disc.
You have my interest piqued Dem. I like a good western and have not seen this one. Also saw this on blu ray.com if those snowy vistas are as nice as you say then looking forward to this release.
Screenshot_20180108-221207.jpg
Demoncrat likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.