Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2018, 12:20 PM
Cult Addict

The Brides of Dracula
A woman going to a school gets abandoned in a village, she gets offered a room for the night by a baroness, she frees her son and unwittingly releases a vampire who turns an innocent wench into a vampire. Van Helsing comes and then has to stop the vampires.
It's not too bad, first time I've ever seen this, Peter Cushing is the only thing that kept me going through this movie, but I wouldn't say it's terrible though.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 8th January 2018, 01:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Brides of Dracula
A woman going to a school gets abandoned in a village, she gets offered a room for the night by a baroness, she frees her son and unwittingly releases a vampire who turns an innocent wench into a vampire. Van Helsing comes and then has to stop the vampires.
It's not too bad, first time I've ever seen this, Peter Cushing is the only thing that kept me going through this movie, but I wouldn't say it's terrible though.
6/10
You stick with your Mechabollocks vs Gonads films, bleakshaun.

Brides of Dracula is excellent.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

*sigh* if my chest wasn't playing up, I may have enjoyed it more, might watch it later on this year.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 8th January 2018, 01:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Agreed, obviously not as good as Dracula (1958), but still a great entry in the series
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th January 2018, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Well, low and behold The Great Silence was on Movies4Men this morning.

Quite possibly cut, i'm not sure, there were still bullets to heads and bloody hands on show. However despite having five minute ad breaks every 15 minutes (mercifully they left the final half hour unscathed though) i could really appreciate how good Sergio Corbucci's film is.

Brilliantly photographed in snowy Utah landscapes mean it's immediately different to the majority of dust bowl spaghetti westerns. Add to this a hero - Jean-Louis Trintignant - who's mute throughout, a superb turn from Klaus Kinski (Possibly his best i've seen) as the bounty killer, Loco, real characters, not just typical toothless, laughing spag clowns and one of the most downbeat finales i can remember - Kill List is practically a comedy in comparison - and you have one mighty fine and original Italian western.

I definitely need to own this on disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THE-GREAT-SILENCE_US_POSTER.jpg (96.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th January 2018, 01:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wonder if the snowy setting of Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight was inspired by this film
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th January 2018, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I wonder if the snowy setting of Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight was inspired by this film
Could be. I'm sure someone a few days ago said he used music from The Great Silence in that film. Don't quote me on that though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Could be. I'm sure someone a few days ago said he used music from The Great Silence in that film. Don't quote me on that though.

I’ve just checked IMDb and it says he said his main influences were Reservoir Dogs and The Thing, I assume because the majority of the action takes place in one location in all three films.
Morricone scored both The Hateful Eight and The Great Silence, (and the Thing obviously) so it’s possible he self-plagiarised when composing the score
Old 8th January 2018, 03:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Quite possibly cut, i'm not sure, there were still bullets to heads and bloody hands on show. However despite having five minute ad breaks every 15 minutes (mercifully they left the final half hour unscathed though) i could really appreciate how good Sergio Corbucci's film is.

Brilliantly photographed in snowy Utah landscapes mean it's immediately different to the majority of dust bowl spaghetti westerns. Add to this a hero - Jean-Louis Trintignant - who's mute throughout, a superb turn from Klaus Kinski (Possibly his best i've seen) as the bounty killer, Loco, real characters, not just typical toothless, laughing spag clowns and one of the most downbeat finales i can remember - Kill List is practically a comedy in comparison - and you have one mighty fine and original Italian western.

Glad you enjoyed it Dem. It's a fantastic film and one that deserves to be seen properly.
Old 8th January 2018, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

You have my interest piqued Dem. I like a good western and have not seen this one. Also saw this on blu ray.com if those snowy vistas are as nice as you say then looking forward to this release.
Screenshot_20180108-221207.jpg
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!