All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I had an EMI poster of that on my bedroom wall.One of many!

I think I was 13 at the time!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th October 2014, 09:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Good shout BE!

Ain't seen that since Thorn Emi released it in the eighties!

I feel some vhs sleeves coming on....
I've never seen that release - and given the trawling at film fairs and that I usd to put libraries together for a rental chain that really is saying something!
Old 6th October 2014, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bosworth is a bit of a revelation isn't she? It's like she developed speech and language from one of Boo's letters to the BBFC.
Yeah, but look what happened to her...poor Boo.
Old 6th October 2014, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict

Gone girl.

Perhaps i'm a little mental heading out to the cinema after coming home from four days of solid screenings but this was the only opportunity to catch finchers latest.

Wow. This is one of the bleakest, most savage depictions of monogamous middle class marriage I've seen. It makes WAR OF THE ROSES look like a Disney Fairy tale. Basically it takes place in the aftermath of Ben Affleck's wife's disappearance. As she had some minor celebrity the entire thing becomes a media circus and.... well I don't want to say too much more.

Well worth watching.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Gone Girl at the cinema yesterday afternoon, a week or so after I read the book, and thought it was magnificent. The two 'name' actors (Ben Affleck and Rosemond Pike) are brilliant as Nick and Amy, but the real star of the show is David Fincher, who has perhaps made his finest film to date. The score, by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is as good as the ones for The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and (frequent Fincher collaborator) Jeff Cronenweth's beautiful cinematography makes this something you could watch without the sound and marvel at from a technical point of view.

I think I was perhaps more pleased that Gillian Flynn stayed true to the novel, omitting just enough so the 150 minute running time flies by and doesn't bog down in detail at all. It's an early contender for best film of the year and proof that if you want an intense, intelligent and mysterious drama, you can't do any better then David Fincher.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th October 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:30 AM
Cult Rookie

Really enjoyed gone girl. Also saw the first showing of fury in the USA, last Friday night here at fort bliss. Absolutely phenomenal war flick.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:58 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I thought that the Reznor/Ross score for TGWTDT was actually quite intrusive at times, but I enjoyed the film in spite of it.

I'll no doubt check out Gone Girl at some point when it's available to rent from Love Film as the reviews posted here have intrigued me.
Old 7th October 2014, 10:42 AM
Active Cultist

Looks like ill be paying a trip to the cinema then to see Gone Girl sounds great

I watched Sick Nurses last night, one of them films been sitting in my collection the title sounded good and i hadn't gotten around to finding out about it, ill probably get slated but i didnt like and couldnt get into the film, the special effects were mainly just paint, i dont know maybe i was tired or something just didnt get anything from it.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

METAMORFOSIA - "File under experimental, arthouse / surreal / sci-fi horror" says the tagline on the cover, and, while this may seem to portend something a bit shrill, it's a pretty apt description of Cosmotropia De Xam's latest. 'Metamorfosia' does have a narrative thread, but it's woven into an industrial sized (and potentially suffocating) duvet of 'formal experimentation' (by which I mean, 'trippy' camera work and digital fx). Underneath the latter you'll find a shivering and malnourished story about a woman who's husband has disappeared. She maybe turns into a vampire, and her kids (or some kids) are vampires too. This is not a film for anyone who wants linear exposition and a few kill scenes. It's a ninety minute stream of image and atmosphere, more indebted to underground cinema (or maybe just music videos?) than genre. Its structural mangling might be a bit superficial in some ways, but it's presumably intended as a means to an end rather than formal exploration in itself. And... it works. I really liked it. I was consistently fascinated and even enthralled at points, which is unusual for me because feature length excursions into this kind of territory normally wear me down after a while. Personally, 'Metamorfosia' grabbed me the most during its many really long, drawn out, nearly meditative scenes where nothing much happens apart from maybe someone strikes exaggerated body postures or wanders around, or blood drips slowly from a mouth. Scenes of various vampires appearing to suck spinal fluid through straws were equally enthralling, as was a protracted homage to Zulawski's 'Possession', where the lead writhes around in a dirty subway tunnel. Cool. Perhaps the high point was the image of vampire wife fondling her breasts and appearing to self administer electrical shocks from some kind of portable CD player, all superposed over stock footage from a documentary about the lifecycle of flies. Cooler still. OK, some of the more obvious effects based passages were a bit grating, but even this seemed part of an overall dynamic. I can't recommend it to everyone, but people who liked things like 'Anti-Clock', 'Atrocity Exhibition', 'Beyond The Black Rainbow', or perhaps David Cronenberg's very early films may very well get something from this.
Old 7th October 2014, 01:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

That sounds as if it's right up my grimy little alley, Frankie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!