Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2016, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict

Beyond the valley of the dolls

Before I head out into the tundra for ale thought I'd post a quick review about this one. A psychedelic odyssey through the late 60's california music scene for a group of naive wannabee pop stars who morph into the carrie nations, fueled by pot, acid and sex the girls become corrupted by the very forces that the 60's movement was supposed to be rebelling against, greed, envy and power. Ultimately the whole thing ends in a surreal tragedy that pretty much caps off Russ Meyers feelings about the 60's. It was the film that introduced me to Russ Meyers work and still holds up today, thanks in part to the stunning new restoration. A recommended purchase.
Old 16th January 2016, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

**** out of ****

RANKED:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi >< Revenge of the Sith><The Force Awakens (All three tied for third best in the middle of the series)
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 16th January 2016, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Director Baz Luhrmann brings the distinctive style he used on Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge! to the literary world of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I haven't seen any other films of The Great Gatsby so i have nothing to compare it with. However i can say i enjoyed this quite a lot. Luhrmann's big, bold and brassy style adds a lot to something which could have been a rather sedate story of millionaire J Gatsby. After a bright opening forty minutes i did feel it lost it's edge until the eighty minute mark when the story really kicked into gear with a riveting last hour.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire are excellent as Gatsby and Nick Caraway, who tells Gatsby's story, as is Joel Edgerton as the villain of the piece.

The Great Gatsby might be 20 minutes too long but if anyone wants to watch a stylish take on a classic novel then this is recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (101.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th January 2016, 01:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Great Gatsby (2013)

I haven't seen any other films of The Great Gatsby so i have nothing to compare it with.
I saw Jack Clayton's 1974 version before and after the 2013 adaptation, which I saw at the cinema, but haven't watched since, and would be hard pushed to say which is better. Both Robert Redford and Leonardo DiCaprio are excellent as Jay Gatsby, both boast excellent supporting casts, find adaptations of the brilliant novel, and very good direction, cinematography, production design, costume design and everything else to give you real feel of the period.
Old 17th January 2016, 01:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Coup d’Etat (Kaigenrei) (1973)

73/100
Old 17th January 2016, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blood Glacier (2013)

Scientists working high up in the Austrian Alps discover a large glacier dripping with what appears to be blood. Blood that affects and seemingly mutates anything that comes into contact with it.

Blood Glacier is an accomplished horror from Austria. Well acted (even the dog, Tinni) with convincing characters at odds with each other in the name of scientific discovery rather then just general bickering. The film reminds of John Carpenter's classic The Thing. Although there isn't that films equivalent of the blood test to really shred the nerves here, we do have a tension that slowly builds and gooey and icky sequences of mutated body horror that might not surpass Carpenter but certainly bring him to mind.

Whilst the film isn't over the top gory, it isn't actually over the top in any way making it feel quite realistic. There are one or two sequences that had me squirming, in particular the girl who has her leg cut open with scissors to get at a creature under the skin. I'm shuddering just typing it out. There are also some glorious, in a horrific way, mutated creatures, including a fox and long horned sheep that are brought wonderfully to life with well executed fx both practical and computer generated.

Beautifully filmed with some stunning mountainous Alpine locations, Blood Glacier is highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blood-glacier-blutgletscher-movie-poster-large.jpg (99.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th January 2016, 06:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Boneyard (1991)

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you... that is in fact a giant zombie poodle.

55/100
Old 17th January 2016, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Boneyard (1991)

55/100
The film must really be bobbins as a giant zombie poodle automatically means it's 70/100 from me.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 17th January 2016, 07:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Boneyard (1991)

55/100
And here was me thinking it was Dem in his hair metal days.
Old 17th January 2016, 07:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
And here was me thinking it was Dem in his hair metal days.
I did have to double-take i admit.

Like this? Share it using the links below!