All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2016, 11:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Three Musketeers (2011)

Paul WS Anderson's version of the classic Dumas tale won't please everyone, however i find it very enjoyable.

The witty script clips along at a tremendous pace and isn't afraid to be silly or indeed ludicrous with it's set pieces - Air ship battle - i'm looking at you here.

Coming over as more comic book than classic French literature, Anderson's film works because of it's differences and the liberties it takes with the source material meaning it's a lot less po-faced and a hell of a lot more entertaining than most filmed versions.

It's not all silliness though. The film has a better cast than you would expect. Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans and Ray Stevenson make a fine trio of Musketeers, even if Logan Lerman is a little miscast as D'Artagnan. Milla Jovovich, Mads Mikkelsen, Orlando Bloom and the wonderful Christoph Waltz add colour, and in Waltz's case, sneery villainy, to the fun production.

As with all Anderson's films The Three Musketeers will have more haters than fans but i for one rather enjoy this action packed, often madcap, romp.
This has been on my shelf for about 3 years now Dem. I'll have to give it a whirl. So far I've enjoyed all of WS Andersons films.
Old 22nd January 2016, 07:22 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Turbo Kid (2015)

72/100
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Big Short (2015)

**** out of ****

The Hateful Eight (2015)

**** out of ****
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
The Big Short (2015)

**** out of ****
I'm going to see this one after work today!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd January 2016, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Videodrome - Some films take their sweet time creating an atmosphere, Videodrome has it in spades from the off. It's oppressive, chilling and just icky from the minute the titles appear on screen. It's actually a little disturbing just how prophetic Cronenberg was, it's themes are probably more relevant today than they were in the early 80s.

A masterpiece.
Old 22nd January 2016, 01:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched Solarbabies (Paul Johnson, 1986)

Mates were fairly nonplussed, but twas this or my new Franco, so this is what they picked the philistines haha. Whatever I said about it being a teen Rollerball still stands.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Night Has Eyes (1942)

I saw this for the first time last month and indeed reviewed it on this very thread. I knew it would soon draw me back.

The Night Has Eyes is one of those ingenious little Gothic chillers that has all the right ingredients that make for a classic old dark house thriller.

Dark stormy nights, shadowy corridors, secret rooms, skeletons, perilous marshes, murder, a house full of seemingly 'strange' inhabitants, psychological shocks, and a foreboding soundtrack. All quite wonderfully held together by a strong central performance from an introspective James Mason.

A film that's definitely creeping towards my top 10 black and white films of all time.

Superb viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71F1DznArjL._SY445_.jpg (36.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Black Metal Veins

Bleak. Repulsive. There but for the grace of God go I etc. Found this tough viewing and had to watch it in stages. The parts with one of the addict's Mum were very real and painfully sad. The darkest moments of Trainspotting are positively uplifting compared to anything on display here.
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Horrors of Spider Island (1960)

42/100
Old 23rd January 2016, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blue Velvet - Lynch's exploration of darkness in the suburbs holds up remarkably well. Disturbing and hilarious, sometimes during the same scene, Blue Velvet really gets under the skin. Like Douglas Sirk on acid, Blue Velvet really was a bolt from the blue on release, it's understandable why it confused critics, however time has been kind to the film and it's now regarded as something of a masterpiece. This was my fourth or fifth viewing and it's parallels with Twin Peaks became even more obvious.

Fantastic film, one that'll I'll constantly revisit.

Like this? Share it using the links below!