I don't they're both hard and are covered with moss on the top

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 16th April 2018, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

That will do now.

This Rock / Dwayne Johnson nonsense is boring me to death and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Old 16th April 2018, 02:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A Quiet Place (2018)

Although this is the third film he directed (I haven't seen the other two: Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (2009) and The Hollars (2016)), this is John Krasinski's first foray into the horror genre, somewhere where many filmmakers over the years have led their trade.

Set in the near future where most of the human race has been killed by the blind, but incredibly fast and powerful, creatures which rely on their hyper sensitive hearing to track down their prey, the film follows Lee Abbott, his wife Evelyn, their sons Marcus and Beau, and Regan, their deaf daughter, as they try to survive, predominantly using American sign language (ASL) to communicate. After a devastating event in the very early part of the film – I won't say what – the events move on a year as the Abbotts live on a farm with grain silos and wheat fields, still a virtually silent existence, but one with a fairly complex security and surveillance system as Lee tries to research the creatures and make a cochlear implant for Regan.

With an impending change to the family dynamics and the children uncertain of their roles in the world and in the family, the burden on Lee grows ever greater.

I really don't want to say any more about the story, the creatures, or the main talking points because that would be to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it and want to – I think it's a case where the less you know, the more you'll enjoy it.

On that, I knew very little about this before watching it so I was flabbergasted when I found out it was produced by Michael Bay and comes from his Platinum Dunes production company. I say flabbergasted because not only is this the first non-Purge Platinum Dunes film I think I have enjoyed and really impressed me, but is such a scary, atmospheric, and intelligent horror film that it goes against the general trend of horror films from the company as it doesn't feature exactly the same over saturated colour palette, along with an overbearing and intrusive soundtrack, isn't a remake, isn't over reliant on gore, and seems to have something to say about the nature of family and communication.

A Quiet Place is an extremely accomplished film with a very good script, taught direction from Krasinski and excellent performances from him, Emily Blunt (Krasinski's real-life wife) and the child actors, particularly Noah Jupe (The Night Manager) and Millicent Simmonds, who is really deaf. It's a film I enjoyed very much and would like to see again the cinema before buying it to watch at home.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Far From The Madding Crowd (1967, John Schlesinger)

Oooh an overture. How posh. Alan Bates and Julie Christie tussle amongst the hay and a sea of familiar faces. When an act of fate destitues sheperd Bates, he finds redemption in Christie's employ. Terence Stamp sticks his spurs in as a Cavalry officer. A rivetting exploration of class right in the heart of the 'Swingin' Sixties' this be, mistress (doffs cap).
I like to mix it up now and then.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 16th April 2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: damnandblast et al
Old 16th April 2018, 05:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paddington 2
Despicable Me 3

Enjoyed these sequels even if they tread well tested trails. Brendan Gleeson in particular a delight in P2

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2018, 08:05 PM
Cult Addict

Amityville Horror - 1979
A family move into a new house and are tormented by an evil presence. Gradually things escalate.
One I haven't seen in years, still stands out as enjoyable.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 16th April 2018, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Kill Giants (2017, Anders Walter)
"They're coming to get you Barbara!" may be a great line, but not a great life
A bullied teenager escapes into fantasy. Am dying to see where this goes ...

[B]
Old 16th April 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default I Kill Giants Pt2

Well, what can I say here? Tis based on a graphic novel ... Imogen Poots Murican accent gets better with every film ... the streets look like British ones almost ... ahem. Recommended? Hmmm ... I'd say avoid the trailer ...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
Old 17th April 2018, 02:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

A Quiet Place. A family struggles to survive in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by monsters attracted by sound. Emily Blunt stars in this watchable enough but rather overhyped modern horror that has some tense moments but isn't, in all honesty, anything particularly amazing.
Old 17th April 2018, 03:37 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Rampage (2018)

BIG. DUMB. FUN.

***1/2 out of *****

A Quiet Place (2018)

A brilliantly executed horror film worthy of the hype.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!