Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2018, 08:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
YES! The Skeleton Dance - wonderful cartoon, Argento. That's one heck of an awesome tattoo. I thought you meant you had a tattoo of the Three Little Pigs or something.

Maybe we could have a Disney movie thread...?
The Skeleton Dance was something that creeped me out as a kid. it always stuck with me. I had it on a VHS and watched it a LOT! I was wanting a horror-themed tattoo, thought of that and I got it! I loved it instantly!
Old 17th April 2018, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I will still say Ouch sir. Kudos. Tis bonny ken.
Thank you It didn't hurt much. My artist was awesome. Spent the whole time talking about movies and music. It just flew in. I've recommended the studio to anyone who asks about tattoos and my brother has had three done there since I recommended them to him!
Old 18th April 2018, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Donnie Brasco (1997)

A 1970's set crime drama starring Al Pacino as a mob underling who inducts Donnie Brasco (Johnny Depp, again proving he can do great things when he wants) into the 'family' values of organised crime, little knowing that Brasco is actually working undercover for the FBI.

Pacino is as always extremely watchable, but it's Depp's film all the way as Brasco grows rather too comfortable into mob life at the expense of his real wife and family, and gains the trust of boss Michael Madsen, whilst helping him to grow a venture in Miami.

Directed by Mike Newell in a fashion that allows the characters to grow in a chatty way rather than relying heavily on the plot. The period setting is beautifully evoked in a world of tacky shirts, fur collars and aviator shades.

Whilst Donnie Brasco might not be up there with the true mob classics such as Goodfellas (1990) it's still an involving experience that immerses you as the film progresses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPW-120490.jpg (74.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th April 2018, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We have a copy of DB that has sat there forever ... a shame. If I didn't have two already y'know ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2018, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Two Left Feet (1963)

Comedy drama about adolescent sexual complications starring Michael Crawford as a gangly, unworldly lad who goes out on a date to a jazz club with an older waitress (Nyree Dawn Porter). At the club Porter more or less ignores him and flirts with two other young men - David Hemmings and Michael Craze - Crawford in turn meets a mousy, charming young girl (Julia Foster) with whom he appears far happier. However things don't go according to plan as Porter attempts to juggle affairs with Crawford and Craze, a cocky lad who seems a little too friendly with Hemmings, in the eyes of Crawford.

This stark look at sexual mores is superbly acted by all mentioned, especially Crawford and Porter who i'm sure could pull any fella with those 'come to bed' eyes. Two Left Feet has a lot of charm and i loved it, having watched it twice in the space of a week, and would make a superb double bill with the similarly themed jazz club centric Beat Girl (1960)

Highly recommended if you like 60's culture films.

The dvd from Network looks lovely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cjl9voHVk5gSbc9fg7g0FoqxQsa.jpg (30.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th April 2018, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2018, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1949)

Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, fed up of their tiny New York apartment decide to up sticks and move out to the countryside and do quite literally what the film title states.

Grant and Loy are conned by every cowboy builder along the way as costs escalate with the dream home seemingly no nearer completion as obstacles of all kinds prevent it's build.

Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are beautifully suited to the roles with Loy proving that she wasn't reliant on William Powell as she creates a convincing double act with Grant. Whilst not always laugh out loud funny it is always amusing and i defy anyone not to chuckle when Loy recites her proposed colour schemes to the decorators.

A film i've seen several times on dvd and one i'll always return to.

Highly recommended.

Classic horror fans should look out for Sharyn Moffett as one of the Blandings children. She was the sweet girl requiring back surgery from Dr. McFarland, who always looked out for Gray's horse in Lewton's The Body Snatcher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr-blandings.jpg (90.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th April 2018, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Has anyone seen this horror out on Monday? Is it any good?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-251358.jpg (58.0 KB, 6 views)
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th April 2018, 02:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Has anyone seen this horror out on Monday? Is it any good?

I Havent seen it but work colleague's son has and he said it was quite good.
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th April 2018, 06:37 PM
Cult Addict

Amityville Horror - 2005
Pretty much the same as the original in terms of plot.
It was bad for the most part if I'm honest, however the only thing that kept me going through it was Ryan Reynolds as he went gradually insane. Everything else is just meh...

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!