Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Die Monster Die.

A lot.
Yeah, me too...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Die monster die is going to the end if the scream factory titles I still need to get line lol. Never heard a good review of it yet.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Isn't the Golem made of stone?, but i get what you mean.
Not according to The Simpsons . But you are correct. I plead artistic license in my writing!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2015, 03:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wild (2014)

Another day, another film based on a memoir based on true events. The premise of this film is extraordinarily simple: Cheryl Strayed, a recently divorced woman, decides to walk the length of the Pacific Crest Trail with minimal preparation and almost no idea of the hardships she will endure on the way.

The film begins about halfway through the journey, with Cheryl looking at her grotesquely blistered feet and having to remove the nail, which has rubbed loose inside her ill-fitting boots, from the big toe on her right foot. After one boot falls down the rocky outcrop on which she is sitting, she curses and throws the other one after it, now left without any footwear. Nick Hornby's script has a flashback structure and the film continuously switches between Cheryl's journey up the West Coast of the US and her upbringing, marriage, university studies, fraught relationship with her mother and self-destructive behaviour.

As she does, Cheryl becomes somewhat of a minor celebrity amongst other hikers who recognise her from the literary references she leaves in the books along the way and becomes more knowledgeable about what she's doing – early on, she is reduced to eating cold mashed potato because she took the wrong type of gas for her camping stove – and combats her inner demons.

Both Reese Witherspoon, who plays Cheryl, and Laura Dern, who plays Cheryl's mother, have been Oscar-nominated for their praiseworthy performances; nominations richly deserved, and Jean-Marc Vallée (The Young Victoria; Dallas Buyers Club) directs with style and control, using the smart, moving screenplay, tremendous scenery and music to tell Cheryl's story with palpable emotion.

Some aspects of the film reminded me of John Curran's 2013 film Tracks, in which Mia Wasikowska played Robyn Davidson, who walked the 1700 miles from Alice Springs to the Indian Ocean in 1977, with both Strayed and Davidson forced to live with their own isolation, battle the elements and people doubting them, partly because of their gender. Both films benefit from the honesty, power and terrific performances by the female lead. Another similarity is American Sniper, in which the lead actor bought the rights to the memoir, helped develop the project and is a credited producer.
Old 28th January 2015, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone else watch Evil Dead (2013) on UK Channel 4 the other night and notice it contained scenes not in any other version?
I noticed a few extra bits, like the "We're gonna get you" song and the epilogue, but I've since learnt there was more than that!
Hopefully this means an extended cut is on the cards

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/bo.../239547596?p=1
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th January 2015, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Anyone else watch Evil Dead (2013) on UK Channel 4 the other night and notice it contained scenes not in any other version?
I noticed a few extra bits, like the "We're gonna get you" song and the epilogue, but I've since learnt there was more than that!
Hopefully this means an extended cut is on the cards

Evil Dead - Board - IMDb
If this makes it longer then it's definitely a bad thing.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If this makes it longer then it's definitely a bad thing.
Indeed. A terrible film.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Indeed. A terrible film.
That's twice now we've agreed on a film today (Die Monster Die being the other).

Same time next year.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:49 PM
Cult Addict

I think its a brilliant remake.
Rik and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!