Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2015, 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I very rarely listen to commentaries, but I have heard his one for Arrow's The Car was abysmal.
Old 4th February 2015, 04:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayzeUK View Post
He just waffles on and on without actually saying anything interesting, comments about bad haircuts on an movie made in 1980 for instance and when he does finish his 20 minute long questions he doesnt give anyone a chance to answer before he's telling us how bad this is and how bad that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I very rarely listen to commentaries, but I have heard his one for Arrow's The Car was abysmal.
Sounds like a moderator to avoid then.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 4th February 2015, 04:46 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Really Bad!

In CW's defence though, the director of The Car seemed very reluctant to speak, when asked about a specific scene the director repeatedly replied "i thnk the scene speaks for itself" and other similar comments, not too helpful on a commentary track.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th February 2015, 05:13 PM
Cultist

Raze (2013)

Kidnapped women are forced to fight to the death for the amusement of the rich starring Zoe Bell.

Not exactly original but by god its brutal - I loved it
Old 4th February 2015, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ruined in what way?

I've never listened to his commentaries.
Try listening to his rather cheeky Island Of Death comm. Manners cost nowt etc.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th February 2015, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I still think the best commentary track is the one Tom Savini & Chris Stavrakis did for the cut UK DVD of Dawn of the Dead, or Kurt Russell & John Carpenter's Thing commentary
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th February 2015, 05:42 PM
Cultist

Quote:
The Rollerball remake was worse - LL Cool J was definitely watching a different film to me - he was very excited watching it ( especially when he was on screen)
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th February 2015, 06:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE BLACK TORMENT

Sir Richard Fordyke returns to his estate with his new wife, only to be confronted with tales of visions of the ghost of his dead first wife and a spate of murders seemingly caused by Sir Richard himself.
I really like this movie and, having only ever seen it on a previous dark and murky dvd, this Blu ray from Odeon is nothing short of a revelation. It looks wonderful.
Sadly there is no reversable sleeve to get rid of that pile of kak that passes for a cover, but I guess you can't have everything.
An excellent spooky gothic horror. Recommended.
Old 4th February 2015, 07:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It is, but that's hardly Calum's fault. Elliot Silverstein was in no mood to talk about anything, let alone the film and, even though Calum was doing his best, you could tell he would have had more fun and more productive experience hitting himself repeatedly on the hand with a hammer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th February 2015, 09:08 PM
Active Cultist

Ending my sword & sorcery fest with a something a bit more fun.

A rather odd film, it feels like it started life as an attempt to make a really accurate version of the Prince Valiant comics, with most of the storyline and characters deriving from Hal Foster's original and some beautiful comic book transitions. Then someone else decided to make it a Conan inspired sword and sorcery film, bringing in elaborate sets, silly costumes and strange magical powers, while desperately trying to retain a family safe rating.

Apparently the production was rather messy and the director claims several key scenes were edited out - certainly it does feel to have lost some gore as a few deaths cut away very quickly and there is no nudity at all, despite a promising hareem sequence, but it is pretty enjoyable, thanks in no small part to the epic supporting cast, featuring Thomas Kretschmann, Udo Keir, Edward Fox, Joanna Lumley, Warwick Davis, Ron Perlman and Walter Gotell.

A full review with pictures - Prince Valiant review (1997)

Does anyone know why this absent on video in the UK and USA, I had to import a Swedish DVD to watch this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!