Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179690Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2013, 07:03 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Started shocker, but shall watch Henry afterwards, its terrible have such a huge backlog and being one of those people who can't make a decision
I'm the same I can pick for other people but not myself.
Old 19th March 2013, 07:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

God Told Me To

I'd forgotten Sylvia Sidney was in this! Funny to see her playing a confused old woman back in 1978, when she was still playing that role 20 years later in Mars Attacks! . . .
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 19th March 2013, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Waxwork.....Haven't seen this since I was a boy and sadly it wasn't the great film I remember it being. Still a good watch though

Django...... the original... well it wasn't the best spaghetti western but I enjoyed it. The best part was the opening song; I found it to be very catchy and I have been listening to it today
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 19th March 2013, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Waxwork.....Haven't seen this since I was a boy and sadly it wasn't the great film I remember it being. Still a good watch though
Yeah I watched it for the first time last year and thought I probably would've liked it as a kid. I found the sequel even flimsier . . .
Old 19th March 2013, 08:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dirty Harry

The ransom run-about part took me out of the film for a while though, as my geeky brain suddenly tried (and eventually failed) to remember another film about a bungled ransom.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Maniac (2012)

Decided to go see this after work, and traveled out of my way to do so seeing it's on so few screens in London - boy, am I glad I did.

What a film! A proper horror film - I haven't said that for a while - and one owing as much to arthouse as exploitation. Beautifully directed, I loved the aesthetic, and despite its contemporary setting its heart is in the 80s, complete with a terrific synthy soundtrack courtesy of Rob. Elijah Wood shakes off all traces of the shire and convinces as the edgy, crazy-eyed killer - he's impressively psychotic. It's unflinchingly violent, the unnerving first person viewpoint making us helplessly complicit to the numerous gruesome scalpings and other satisfyingly grisly moments.

I liked this a lot. Franck Khalfoun has paid affectionate homage to the original, while successfully updating it. Inspired casting too.
Old 19th March 2013, 10:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
my geeky brain suddenly tried (and eventually failed) to remember another film about a bungled ransom.
Ransom . . .
Old 19th March 2013, 10:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Dirty Harry

The ransom run-about part took me out of the film for a while though, as my geeky brain suddenly tried (and eventually failed) to remember another film about a bungled ransom.
Obsession ??
Old 19th March 2013, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

END OF WATCH. Full on, cops on the beat, mayhem. The best film I have seen this year. Highly recommended.
Old 19th March 2013, 11:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Maniac (2012)

Decided to go see this after work, and traveled out of my way to do so seeing it's on so few screens in London - boy, am I glad I did.

What a film! A proper horror film - I haven't said that for a while - and one owing as much to arthouse as exploitation. Beautifully directed, I loved the aesthetic, and despite its contemporary setting its heart is in the 80s, complete with a terrific synthy soundtrack courtesy of Rob. Elijah Wood shakes off all traces of the shire and convinces as the edgy, crazy-eyed killer - he's impressively psychotic. It's unflinchingly violent, the unnerving first person viewpoint making us helplessly complicit to the numerous gruesome scalpings and other satisfyingly grisly moments.

I liked this a lot. Franck Khalfoun has paid affectionate homage to the original, while successfully updating it. Inspired casting too.
I just got back from seeing this. I agree completely and it is certainly one of the best remakes I've seen. It's very stylised and I really liked the music also. Elijah Wood was very good. I did think it was shame that the cinema was virtually empty though.

Recommended

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Like this? Share it using the links below!