Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2014, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gave up on zeder couldn't get into it might give another go sometime. Watching the Devils nigtmare which from the small amount I have watched I'm enjoying a lot more than zeder
sjconstable likes this.
Old 9th October 2014, 09:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Devils of Darkness (1965)

A secret vampire cult pursue an English couple on holiday in Brittany, then back to England to retrieve a golden talisman.

Unbelievably tedious British Gothic chiller without any memorable chills. Lacking any form of tension or memorable characters and boasting actors in William Sylvester and Hubert Noel who hammer it home how charismatic Cushing, Lee, Price etc really are. After a promising occult opening sequence the film just meanders along. By the mid point i'd actually forgotten i was watching a horror film.

Lance Comfort, a director with 43 previous credits didn't make any more films after this. Wonder why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt4_devils_of_darkness_big.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10th October 2014, 08:01 AM
Cult Addict

House of mortal sin

A nutty priest is recording confessions and then using the recordings to blackmail people into letting him help them. When they refuse or simply annoy him he heads out and murders them. This one carries the similar dark and nasty tone of house of whipcord and Frightmare and makes a few interesting observations on the catholic church between the mayhem.

Home before midnight

Perhaps a film that's a little too close to home post-saville and yewtree. The film deals with a songwriters sexual relationship with a 14 year old girl and the resulting legal fallout. A little too soft focus and schmaltzy for my tastes and given the actual abuse cases from the 70's involving celebrities then the fairly graphic sex scenes are more than a little uncomfortable.

The unborn

Roger corman produces a take on the Larry Coen ITS ALIVE pictures. Brooke Adams plays a woman desperate for a child. She goes to Dr Richard Mayerling's (Return of the living dead's James Karen's) fertility clinic and successfully becomes pregnant. However this being a horror, naturally something is wrong with the child.
The unborn is a trashy yet entertaining pot-boiler that never manages to be as successful as Larry Cohen's killer baby movies. Mainly because Cohen simply asks what's going to happen to unborn kids with how we are polluting the air, Unborn however takes a massive swipe at IVF which feels a little distasteful given how many people the process has helped. Also, the ITS ALIVE pictures are generally better made. That said The unborn is worth watching, it may be trashy nonsense but it's entertaining nonetheless.
Also, look out for an early pre-friends Lisa Kudrow as a receptionist.

Unborn 2

A direct sequel to the Corman picture without Brooke Adams. A young woman with a mutant baby is hiding out in suburbia, meanwhile another woman who was also a patient of Mayerling's is hunting down the kids and killing them one by one to prevent them from growing up to destroy the world. Like the first movie, unborn 2 is a lurid, trashy piece of nonsense saved by virtue of it being a lot of fun. Ups the ante in terms of gore and has some decent performances.

Blood Glacier

A group of climate change scientists discover a recently uncovered blood-red glacier. The stuff in it has the abiltiy to fuse DNA and create hybrid monsters. Pretty soon the team are fending off a variety of well realised mutant creatures.
Blood Glacier feels like the set up for a much bigger movie. The idea is interesting even if the plot is somewhat sleight. I really dug the creature FX which actually looks practical and this is one film I really hope gets a sequel as I feel there's even more interesting ideas than can be explored with the material
Old 10th October 2014, 08:17 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
[B][I]Home before midnight

Perhaps a film that's a little too close to home post-saville and yewtree. The film deals with a songwriters sexual relationship with a 14 year old girl and the resulting legal fallout. A little too soft focus and schmaltzy for my tastes and given the actual abuse cases from the 70's involving celebrities then the fairly graphic sex scenes are more than a little uncomfortable.
I thought it was a prescient and thought-provoking film because of the 'which side are you on?' approach, almost forcing you to sympathise with the rock star who unwittingly began a sexual relationship with an underage girl, but didn't end it when he found out her real age. The media hounding and the way his career was ruined before any conviction is the same now as it was in the film and it's interesting how Pete Walker was way ahead of his time.
Old 10th October 2014, 08:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was a prescient and thought-provoking film because of the 'which side are you on?' approach, almost forcing you to sympathise with the rock star who unwittingly began a sexual relationship with an underage girl, but didn't end it when he found out her real age. The media hounding and the way his career was ruined before any conviction is the same now as it was in the film and it's interesting how Pete Walker was way ahead of his time.
It's a complicated issue for sure, still it was in my head while watching the film so I thought worth mentioning. Certainly Walker does not portray it as an abusive relationship. Part of the problem is I may be watching it with modern eyes.
Old 10th October 2014, 08:39 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You're starting to act like me now, Dem...

A scary thought indeed: please get yourself checked out by a professional psychologist.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th October 2014, 12:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You're starting to act like me now, Dem...

A scary thought indeed: please get yourself checked out by a professional psychologist.

Posting was a bit weird yesterday evening, they took ages to show when i clicked post....i must have been getting impatient and double posted.
Old 10th October 2014, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

PIN -
I picked this up for £2.50 after watching the trailer and thinking it may be one of those 'hidden gem' slasher movies lost in the torrent of brilliant titles from that era. I was wrong. (If you haven't seen the film my review may spoil it, skip this and watch the movie first. You have been warned)

The trailer leads us to believe that PIN is alive and possible actually murdering at the wishes of the main character 'Leon' and it leaves us with this phrase 'Some friendships don't last' and we see a blurry images of an axe wielding killer bringing said axe to lunch with Leon's head... But when we watch the film we understand that PIN is most certainly not alive and this is not a slasher movie as the trailer may have lead us to believe. It's a thriller.

Leon is a well thought out character and played very well by actor Davit Hewlett, but it's a slow burner of a movie with a strangley satisfying ending if not a little cheesy.

Worth £2.50 but I'm not sure it's got a repeat viewing in it. and once your mates know PIN is not an accessory to the film you have lost your interesting conversation piece.

*Incidentally i couldn't get the commentary track to work on my laptop or PC?
Old 10th October 2014, 12:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

Blood Glacier

A group of climate change scientists discover a recently uncovered blood-red glacier. The stuff in it has the abiltiy to fuse DNA and create hybrid monsters. Pretty soon the team are fending off a variety of well realised mutant creatures.
Blood Glacier feels like the set up for a much bigger movie. The idea is interesting even if the plot is somewhat sleight. I really dug the creature FX which actually looks practical and this is one film I really hope gets a sequel as I feel there's even more interesting ideas than can be explored with the material

was going to watch this last night but got to late, so will be watching it tonight
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 10th October 2014, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devils nightmare
The story starts at the end of world 2 with birth of a nazi officers daughter. Jump forward 20 odd years and a group of tourists are forced to seek shelter when the route to where they are going is blocked. A strange man recommends a nearby castle for them to spend the night. There they are welcomed by the German officer and his staff. As usual in these films the tourist are none to bright, when they arrive the castle door shuts itself and when they are led to there rooms they are told of the murders that have taking places in each room( by this point I would of got on the bus and gone back the way I came) Not long after a red headed woman arrives who we soon find out she is a succubus and ends up punishing the tourist for there sins. Not very scary but we have one disgusting scene with one of the toursits eating. But it's very atmospheric and entertaining. 9/10

Lost boys

I know some people despise this film but it's one of my favourites, it's a lot of fun with a group of likable characters and it has a great soundtrack. 9.5/10

Danger diabolik

Another fantastic bava film that had not seen before involving the adventures thief diobolik and his girlfriend. Great 60s soundtrack,terry Tomas car chases,and fantastic sets with diiaboliks lare putting the bat cave to shame. One groove film. 9/10

Edit
Now watching blood glacier followed by one of my favourites if not my favourite horrors the devil rides out

Last edited by trebor8273; 10th October 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!